BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Ambient lighting issues B&O package

I always thought the ambient lighting was barely noticeable in my M6 GC. The only form of adjustment is the mechanical dial. My car has the B&O package so there’s white led glow around speaker grills. There was a bulletin for M5’s where a software update fixed the brightness issue. Does anyone know if there was a bulletin for the M6 as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Here's the bulletin: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=28

It indicates it's an issue back in 2013 and likely 2014+ cars have been fixed. In any case, why would you want to turn up the lighting? The entire B&O, HUD, and chrome pieces on the idrive housing and speakers are incredibly distracting. It reflects like crazy off the windshield. This weekend, I'm wrapping my idrive housing chrome parts in black vinyl.
      01-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
do you have the M5 bulletin?
Yeah that’s what I found. I’m not sure how accurate that is in representing the M6’s though. I’d hate to go to the dealer and bring it up and they say it doesn’t relate to my car or something like that. It’s a minor issue but it bugs the hell out of me. Most of my driving is at night and I feel like it’s lacking very much. I’ve other cars and it’s beautiful to ride in at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Yeah that’s what I found. I’m not sure how accurate that is in representing the M6’s though. I’d hate to go to the dealer and bring it up and they say it doesn’t relate to my car or something like that. It’s a minor issue but it bugs the hell out of me. Most of my driving is at night and I feel like it’s lacking very much. I’ve other cars and it’s beautiful to ride in at night.
sorry, I updated my post. It has F06 listed on it, but it applied only up to 2013 cars. Again, if you drive at night, and especially in dark areas, you want minimum light in the cabin, at times, I even turn off my navigation screen.
      01-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sorry, I updated my post. It has F06 listed on it, but it applied only up to 2013 cars. Again, if you drive at night, and especially in dark areas, you want minimum light in the cabin, at times, I even turn off my navigation screen.
I have a 2014 M6 GC was delivered in 2013 so I’m not sure what the window is on that. I have a black interior so it absorbs much of the light. When I tell you the lighting is barely noticeable I mean I have to look at the doors to see it emitted anywhere I’ll grab pictures in a minute. It’s hard to compare if you don’t have another car right next to you because there are too many variables like exterior lighting and camera quality. Can you post a picture of your interior lighting when you get a chance? I want to see how “off” mine is.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I can do that. But as you said, it's hard to compare even photos as camera "lie" with ambient lighting and features of camera these days. Best bet would be to find another M6 owner.

Again, IMO, the lighting shouldn't be noticeable or catch your eye. It should be designed such that you have to look at it to notice. Btw, just checking, you do have the setting turned "on" right? There's off, on, and reduced lighting options.
      01-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can do that. But as you said, it's hard to compare even photos as camera "lie" with ambient lighting and features of camera these days. Best bet would be to find another M6 owner.

Again, IMO, the lighting shouldn't be noticeable or catch your eye. It should be designed such that you have to look at it to notice. Btw, just checking, you do have the setting turned "on" right? There's off, on, and reduced lighting options.
It’s on. The B&O lighting seems satisfactory. My concern is with the amber hue. I took pictures but it’s not letting me add them. For example you can’t even see the lighting in the cubby sections in the door unless your hand is there to reflect off of. Picture shows this well. I’ll try computer upload later.

I think it’s personal preference and how sensitive your eyes are too light. I’m decently young, 22, and I like the pop and accenting of the ambient lights. It organizes the interior and like “shows it off” in my mind. I tried doing what you recommended and turning lights down and killing nav screen and it felt way too dark inside car and a certain anxiety built in me
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I thought your lighting too dim on the center speaker? My red ambient lighting definitely doesn't require me to cup my hands around to see it. And I'm in the city too with a lot of light pollution.
      01-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thought your lighting too dim on the center speaker? My red ambient lighting definitely doesn't require me to cup my hands around to see it. And I'm in the city too with a lot of light pollution.
No I don’t care about the center speaker. Yeah I can see how that can be very distracting if that was brighter lol. I was talking about the door panels specifically. Hardly noticeable. Have good pictures but can’t get this to load on phone
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Yea it’s a subtle touch definitely not to distracting, I besaw an option to tune it off in the setting menu
Appreciate 0