BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
drewski973
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe

Buying M6 On Tuesday!! Let Me Know If I Need To Know Anything

Whats up guys, so I finally found a gem that Ive been looking for (in Georgia and Im in Jersey, so im flying in to pick it up and drive ti back), its 1 owner, garage kept, no scratches, dents etc, 29k miles, white with black interior, fully loaded, owner just bought S63 AMG do hes selling the M6, super excited to buy this car, is there anything I should be looking for when buying this car? He always serviced at local BMW where he buys all his cars, last services was done 4k miles ago, obviously I will be looking for any leaks and stuff like that, do you guys think its possible to go to his BMW dealer and have them check the car out? Would they do that? Let me know and help a rookie out haha thx
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Rosho808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

The BMW dealer would be happy to inspect the car for you, for a price just like any other reputable mechanic would. I would definitely have it inspected prior to flying out there just in case.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Not trying to Burst your Bubble ,, if you do fly out there , I’d talk to the owner tell He, could take it by BMW dealer have all the service records checked and I have the car checked over they usually do it for around $150 that’s pretty cheap for what you’re probably spending on the car .. what year is it? Does it have any warranty left ?

just my 2c

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Is this a private sale? Curious how much you got it for. PM me for info Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
avytykac
Rep
Drives: 2014 m6 coupe

Check out the lemon squad. They will send a mechanic to inspect the car for you anywhere in the country and give you a much more detailed report than any BMW dealership, minus the service records. Its worth the money IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

If you have a long drive, I suggest asking the dealer for an extra quart of oil for the drive just in case you get a low oil warning on the road. Besides that you should be good to go! I picked up my car in Texas and did about 2000 miles back to California. The m6 is one of the best cars to road trip in.. congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Former NJ resident here.

Ditto the advice above. I would make the sale contingent upon a satisfactory CPO-level inspection, but offer to reimburse the cost when you close the deal. It's in his best interest to do this anyway to help facilitate a sale, and a good investment for you in the future if you ever sell the car down the road. BMW dealerships are held to a very strict standard, and they're not going to risk their contract for anyone since falsification comes with very steep penalties.

Once you're satisfied with the inspection, I'd consider a good aftermarket warranty. I've been very impressed with AutoPOM.

Let us know how it works out!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #8
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Former NJ resident here.

Ditto the advice above. I would make the sale contingent upon a satisfactory CPO-level inspection, but offer to reimburse the cost when you close the deal. It's in his best interest to do this anyway to help facilitate a sale, and a good investment for you in the future if you ever sell the car down the road. BMW dealerships are held to a very strict standard, and they're not going to risk their contract for anyone since falsification comes with very steep penalties.

Once you're satisfied with the inspection, I'd consider a good aftermarket warranty. I've been very impressed with AutoPOM.

Let us know how it works out!
Have you had any claims with Autopom?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Have you had any claims with Autopom?
No. I'm still in the waiting period, but reviews and other 3rd and 4th party reports are positive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SMB M6 Convertible

check for clutch shudder, from N to Reverse and N to 1st, make sure there is no vibration or hesitation from 0-3mph at VERY LIGHT throttle, if so clutch and flywheel likely need to be replaced, like mine. If it is a convertible, make sure no body work was done, test the inside quietness on highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
drewski973
United_States
Rep

hey, guys sorry for getting back so late but after I came back from Georgia, next day I went on little vacation to California and Las Vegas and just got back, anyway so I went to Georgia and convinced the guy to meet me at bmw dealer so we can do the pre purchase inspection, he wasnt thrilled about it (guy is a very rich and didnt want waste time at the dealer), we went to his dealer where he got the car from and where it was serviced, make a long story short car is in perfect condition no problems, mechanic knew the car he even told me on the side that guy wouldnt let them wash the car at bmw lol, when we walked in, everyone knew his since he buys his cars there so i felt very confident car is good, got all the maintenance info from dealer, car is fully loaded with almost new tires 305 in the back and 275 front and police radar and laser interceptor (front n back bumper) so thats a plus that came with the car, got all the paperwork and receipts for everything, drove the car 900+ miles home ... WOW, speechless, cant believe i didnt buy this car before, drives amazing i love everything about it, once i left on vacation, i couldnt get back to drive it again haha, great car, I'm very happy with it. Here are few pictures, they are not great because i didnt have time to make good ones yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to M6 life! Everything moves, faster. It looks great in white!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Congrats.

I'm also a "familiar face" at my dealership servicing shop partially due to my M6
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski973 View Post
Whats up guys, so I finally found a gem that Ive been looking for (in Georgia and Im in Jersey, so im flying in to pick it up and drive ti back), its 1 owner, garage kept, no scratches, dents etc, 29k miles, white with black interior, fully loaded, owner just bought S63 AMG do hes selling the M6, super excited to buy this car, is there anything I should be looking for when buying this car? He always serviced at local BMW where he buys all his cars, last services was done 4k miles ago, obviously I will be looking for any leaks and stuff like that, do you guys think its possible to go to his BMW dealer and have them check the car out? Would they do that? Let me know and help a rookie out haha thx

I'm going to pick up mine (Pre-owned) in a few weeks here and just wondering did you have to pay gas guzzler tax when you register your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Looks great congrats,,, glad it worked out.....

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
drewski973
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
I'm going to pick up mine (Pre-owned) in a few weeks here and just wondering did you have to pay gas guzzler tax when you register your car?
Hey, im in NJ and I didnt have to pay any guzzler tax but I did see that he paid when he bought the car, so I'm not sure if you pay when you buy new car or depends on a state but I did not have to pay anything extra besides regular NJ sales tax and registration fees, I'm excited for you to get the M6 because it is an amazing car all around, you will be happy , just be easy because thing is faaaaast

And thanks guys for replaying to me, good to know I can always count on forum.
P.S. Any tips on maintaining? What do you guys use for merino seats (they are ventilated to I dont want to clog pours in the seat) and what do you use for the body and carbon fiber roof? I'll take any knowledge I can about this car because dont want to use wrong stuff, thanks
Appreciate 0