On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
How are you guys using none RFT on your 640 or 650? What if you have a plat tire? How will you handle it without a spare tire?
I have AAA if something goes terribly wrong. I've used it once related to flats in 5+ years and I live in a city full of potholes

drive is 1000x better with non-rft. With the dunlops, every minor bump felt like the car was going to break
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #24
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Yesterday, I changed my horrible RFT Dunlops for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and what a difference it makes.

The car is smoother, quieter, tracks better, handles better, increases confidence and makes the whole driving experience so much more enjoyable.

I put an 18" winter wheel/tire combo (255/45/18) in the trunk and now question myself why I did not do this sooner.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #25
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

What about these? Seem new on TireRack.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...taggered+Tires
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Those 3ZP's are runflats, and I will never buy runflats again.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #27
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
Those 3ZP's are runflats, and I will never buy runflats again.
Well when I bought my Pirelli Pzero (PZ4) they felt exactly like non runflat tires except they are. So I’m wondering how these compare. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the PZ4s labeled as “ luxury “ run flat tires (whatever that means) feel like regular tires but they wore off extremely quickly within 10,000 miles- completely bald
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #28
regomellor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640 xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
Yesterday, I changed my horrible RFT Dunlops for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and what a difference it makes.

The car is smoother, quieter, tracks better, handles better, increases confidence and makes the whole driving experience so much more enjoyable.

I put an 18" winter wheel/tire combo (255/45/18) in the trunk and now question myself why I did not do this sooner.
I'm glad you have no transfer issues. I wish i could run non run flats
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #29
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'm in the process of replacing my run-flats, as well.

Way back in 2007, when I bought my 07 335i, it came with summer RFTs. This was the first BMW I bought that came with them - prior it was just normal tires. Within 2 or 3 months I replaced them with Michelin all seasons as winter was coming up. The RFTs were terribly hard and caused damage to the rims. I went through two pairs of the Michelin non-RFTs on that car in the 6.5 years I owned it, 89k miles driven, and no issues.

After that, I got my 2014 F10 550xi. This time, I decided to keep the RFTs as they were already all-season (with the x-drive), and I thought the tech was perhaps better so many years later. I was very wrong.

During the three years of owning that car, I went through THREE blown tires in only 18k miles. The rims were constantly getting bent from impacts, as well. I never pulled the trigger to replace them with non-RFTs because I always felt like, "well, I just bought another RFT for the one that blew."

Then in 2017 I got my current '17 650xi GC. The same terrible RFTs again. I've now had the car for 2 years and 8k miles. No blown tires (thankfully), but several bent rims. I last had them repaired in February, and they're already bent again - thankfully I at least got the tire/rim insurance this time, so it's been no-charge.

I recently called my dealership (this week, in fact) to discuss changing them to non-RFTs. I've just had enough of them. Every imperfection in the road makes me cringe to drive over it, and the rims are in a constant state of disrepair, which causes vibration at highway speeds.

I was surprised when my dealership initially refused to change the tires away from non-RFTs. I was told it was "policy." Long story short, a quick e-mail to my SA and what was probably various discussions with the service department thereafter, I got the "green light" that they'd do it. I know I'll pay more to do this through the dealer, but I figured it was a nice one stop shop for the rim repair (insured), looking at the suspension (which may have play due to constant impacts - under warranty), and replacing the tires. We'll see - looking to confirm an appointment now.

Fact is, whoever at BMW continues to believe RFTs are sufficient for the North American market, no less on a 4,600 pound $100k+ GT car, should be fired... rehired, taunted, and fired again... perhaps even publicly shamed in the town square of their home town. Seriously, it's that ridiculous. The poster above who said these tires are like "boulders" got it 100% right. They're just not suited for any road that has imperfections beyond a half-inch crack.

My current and previous BMWs should be exhibits "A" and "B" for anyone at BMW who's still confused about this. THREE blown Goodyear RFTs in only 18k miles? That's incredible. ONE blown tire is an anomaly - prior to the 550, I'd never in my life had a tire blow. THREE? That's an obvious flaw, and BMW ignores it. My current 650, with only 8k miles, has now had to have every rim repaired several times... in only EIGHT thousand miles. Design flaw.

So, you could imagine my frustration when, after buying a $113k car, putting up with these clearly ridiculous design flaws, I contact the dealer and am told "NO, we won't help fix it" - I just about lost it on someone. To be perfectly honest, BMW should be proactively reaching out to their customers and apologizing, offering to prorate the cost of these tires - I'm choosing to replace what are, according to their tread life, perfectly good tires because they're essentially flawed directly from the factory.

BMW makes some great cars, but this area of oversight is just inexcusable... no less, there's now a MOUNTAIN of evidence and data showing customer disdain for these RFTs, their poor performance, and the damage (blow-outs, rim damage, etc.)... and still no action on BMW's part to correct it. That's not acceptable.

I appreciate that my SA has attempted to do the right thing here for me, but I'm going to think long and hard about whether, after two decades of BMWs, my next DD is a BMW. It's not for lack of the cars being great, but I'm highly put off by BMW's refusal to address this problem - it's either complete arrogance ("we don't care") or obliviousness ("we don't know")... neither is admirable.
Appreciate 0