BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Is it worth ceramic coating?

I leave my pride and joy outside in all UK weathers. I have it cleaned weekly but it soon accumulates dust etc. I’ve heard positive results about ceramic coating to protect and give a longer lasting shine? Any feedback before I invest in having it done?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Abso-F'n-lutely.

I did it myself with a polish using Zaino and then Kamikaze ISM. The shine persists, and 'wash' consists of a pressure rinse then dry. It's amazing stuff.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
benacto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M6 GC

I guess that answers that. Been on the fence bout it too.
      04-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

For darker color cars I cannot live w/out! So much easier to maintain!!! That said don’t buy into it being more scratch proof...,proper care still matters for keeping it pristine.

I’ve paid to have mine done, would like to try the DIY next unless the car needs a lot of correction prior.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2019, 11:49 PM   #5
bluflaggz
Rep
Drives: R.I.P E39 M5

I ceramic coated mine too. I think it was worth it. If you are looking for strictly paint protection, I would recommend a clear bra instead of the ceramic. If you are looking for constant shine and easy cleaning, then the ceramic is the way to go. I don't seem to wash my car as much as I used to 10 years ago, but when I do, the ceramic coating makes it so much easier to wash. Like the others said, you can get away with pressure washing and dry.

One thing worth pointing out:
If you are worried about dust, your car will still pick up dust. For me I feel like I notice the dust more with the ceramic coating since the dust sits on the surface of the ceramic now.

Last edited by bluflaggz; 04-30-2019 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Abso-F'n-lutely.

I did it myself with a polish using Zaino and then Kamikaze ISM. The shine persists, and 'wash' consists of a pressure rinse then dry. It's amazing stuff.
Thanks, thats all i needed to know - will look at having it done
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSTAR_007 View Post
For darker color cars I cannot live w/out! So much easier to maintain!!! That said don’t buy into it being more scratch proof...,proper care still matters for keeping it pristine.

I’ve paid to have mine done, would like to try the DIY next unless the car needs a lot of correction prior.
Great, that was my next question - to do it myself or get i done by a company...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflaggz View Post
I ceramic coated mine too. I think it was worth it. If you are looking for strictly paint protection, I would recommend a clear bra instead of the ceramic. If you are looking for constant shine and easy cleaning, then the ceramic is the way to go. I don't seem to wash my car as much as I used to 10 years ago, but when I do, the ceramic coating makes it so much easier to wash. Like the others said, you can get away with pressure washing and dry.

If you are worried about dust, your car will still pick up dust. For me I feel like I notice the dust more with the ceramic coating since the dust sits on the surface of the ceramic now.
Thanks, great advice. Ill get it done and invest in my own jet wash .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
//MMachine
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 coupe

Garage List
2012 Ford SVT Raptor  [0.00]
2017 BMW M6  [0.00]
2107 BMW M4  [10.00]
2007 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2008 MB E350  [0.00]
1999 Ford F350 Lariat  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Thanks, great advice. Ill get it done and invest in my own jet wash .
... and if you have a leaf blower you can blow dry it in a few minutes and then follow up with just one microfiber towel to get any water that the blower missed. Once the hydrophobic layer is down - any water drops on the surface are very easy to blow off with a leaf blower.

Last edited by //MMachine; 05-01-2019 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by //MMachine View Post
... and if you have a leaf blower you can blow dry it in a few minutes and then follow up with just one microfiber towel to get any water that the blower missed.
Fantastic - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:57 AM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I just bought my first pressure washer and used it today. If you park your car inside, IMO, you just need a pressure washer and an orbital tool to apply sealant and you'll have a car that's easy to keep clean.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
I leave my pride and joy outside in all UK weathers. I have it cleaned weekly but it soon accumulates dust etc. I’ve heard positive results about ceramic coating to protect and give a longer lasting shine? Any feedback before I invest in having it done?
First thing I did was ceramic coating (Opti-coat Pro+). Needed to be installed by certified installer as you cannot purchase this product on your own. Well worth it. Also had all my glass coated as well as my wheels. So glad i did the wheels. They stay cleaner longer and for maintenance wash, just pressure washer and a good foam canon/soap combo like Adams Foam shampoo.

Pay the extra $$$ and find a top dealer/installer. The most important part of the process is the paint correction prior to applying the coating. You are basically locking-in any flaws or defects in the paint at the moment of application. The better the paint correction, the better the results.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekstyle View Post
First thing I did was ceramic coating (Opti-coat Pro+). Needed to be installed by certified installer as you cannot purchase this product on your own. Well worth it. Also had all my glass coated as well as my wheels. So glad i did the wheels. They stay cleaner longer and for maintenance wash, just pressure washer and a good foam canon/soap combo like Adams Foam shampoo.

Pay the extra $$$ and find a top dealer/installer. The most important part of the process is the paint correction prior to applying the coating. You are basically locking-in any flaws or defects in the paint at the moment of application. The better the paint correction, the better the results.
Thanks, the more i hear the more i want to get it done. I agree about the paint correction - its looking like about £1100-1500 to get it al done and a almost a week in the shop. Thanks again...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
I was considering exactly the same a year ago when I bought mine... My detailer (extremely professional and capable) asked me one simple question to help decide: do I want to make the investment in time to look after my car, or do I want the easy (lazy) option? As the answer was yes to the first option, he convinced me that good and regular sealant/wax application will provide similar if not better results from shine perspective, coating might be a bit easier to wax, but that’s really it. Considering the cost involved, I get lots of sealant and wax for the price of coating treatment, and since I’m happy to make the time investment, easy decision. But the paint correction is an exercise worth doing, this is relevant, coating or not. And then consider how to maintain the paint to cause minimal defects/swirls. One last thing: get clear films on side skirts. Our cars have a tendency of spraying small road debris to the skirts, the film protects (coating won’t help here).
Appreciate 1
Havy292.00
      05-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #15
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
I was considering exactly the same a year ago when I bought mine... My detailer (extremely professional and capable) asked me one simple question to help decide: do I want to make the investment in time to look after my car, or do I want the easy (lazy) option? As the answer was yes to the first option, he convinced me that good and regular sealant/wax application will provide similar if not better results from shine perspective, coating might be a bit easier to wax, but that’s really it. Considering the cost involved, I get lots of sealant and wax for the price of coating treatment, and since I’m happy to make the time investment, easy decision. But the paint correction is an exercise worth doing, this is relevant, coating or not. And then consider how to maintain the paint to cause minimal defects/swirls. One last thing: get clear films on side skirts. Our cars have a tendency of spraying small road debris to the skirts, the film protects (coating won’t help here).
Thank you for the valuable insight and alternative view point to consider. You make quite a compelling argument against having it done. And the film sounds a great idea - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #16
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I am with MelbourneFinn I am washing my cars regularly and I have a whole bunch of products. Get a good paint detail done or do it your self. I bought a clay and started with the roof, trunk and hood. Next time the side will be done. If you wax your car it will shine like hell and last much longer than you will have the next bath.
Ok, I like to take care of my vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
I am with MelbourneFinn I am washing my cars regularly and I have a whole bunch of products. Get a good paint detail done or do it your self. I bought a clay and started with the roof, trunk and hood. Next time the side will be done. If you wax your car it will shine like hell and last much longer than you will have the next bath.
Ok, I like to take care of my vehicles.
Thanks, This gives me a lot to think about. This forum is such a great source of knowledge and support
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #18
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflaggz View Post

I agree with applying film, but otherwise I think your dealer is seriously misinformed.

There's no way that an organic product like carnauba or even a synthetic can compete with a silica based sealant. Your statement makes the point - with a ceramic coating you won't NEED to wax the car every 'x' weeks. Just rinse, wipe and go. I did mine about this time last year, and it's still going strong.

One thing about the film - I've been told that because of differing (lower) degree of UV that passes through the film, compared to the amount of exposure directly to the paint, you can possibly have shading differences. You know... kina like auto tan lines. I hope to film the whole car this year.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #19
black1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pure Metal M6GC

Totally worth the investment, I also have the entire car done, wheels too. Finish is super smooth and slick and never fades like wax does after a few washes. Took about 4 days to complete and once you've had it you'll never want to use wax again. No offence but wax is a waste of time...can't compete with ceramic coat

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #20
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by black1 View Post
Totally worth the investment, I also have the entire car done, wheels too. Finish is super smooth and slick and never fades like wax does after a few washes. Took about 4 days to complete and once you've had it you'll never want to use wax again. No offence but wax is a waste of time...can't compete with ceramic coat

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow, that looks amazing and the look I'm going for & want it to stay like that as long as possible with low maintenance. One of the possible companies I'm looking at is Ceramic pro too so thanks for sharing the picture.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LHD MB Brabus+RHD BMW M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
I agree with applying film, but otherwise I think your dealer is seriously misinformed.

There's no way that an organic product like carnauba or even a synthetic can compete with a silica based sealant. Your statement makes the point - with a ceramic coating you won't NEED to wax the car every 'x' weeks. Just rinse, wipe and go. I did mine about this time last year, and it's still going strong.

One thing about the film - I've been told that because of differing (lower) degree of UV that passes through the film, compared to the amount of exposure directly to the paint, you can possibly have shading differences. You know... kina like auto tan lines. I hope to film the whole car this year.
My car was clear wrapped almost from new. when clean it certainly looks good and is completely free of swirl marks and stone chips. I also like that any small scratches will heal themselves.

It cost around £4,000 to wrap the whole car. It seems expensive but I know that's the cost because the previous owner left the invoice for me. If it were to suffer panel damage, no matter how small, it will now be necessary to unwrap the whole panel, repaint and re-wrap.

I'm happy the previous owner had it wrapped but I'm not sure I would do it, especially if the car is garaged. I'd probably go down the ceramic coating route but wrapping might make sense if the car is left outside and regulary gets bird bombed.

As for the tan lines, I don't know and hope not to find out
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Live in sunny south Florida. It’s been worth it for me.

Appreciate 1