BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-23-2023, 08:17 AM   #1
Nyge M
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

BMW f12 2018 , carplay

Hi, I’m changing from a f13 pre lci to a 2018 f12. Wanted to ask about the media unit and if it had CarPlay pre installed. I haven’t picked up the car yet, so not sure what it comes with.

Which head unit version does it have ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 02:22 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Do you have the 17 digit VIN? If yes, copy and paste the VIN here (its free if you use the correct fields…don’t fall for the spam fields): www.mdecoder.com

The mdecoder site will give you the build sheet and list which option codes you have. A 2018 model year should have either NBT/ID5 or NBT/ID6 depending on its build date...which could have been in late 2017 or sometime in 2018.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-23-2023 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:23 AM   #3
Nyge M
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Used bimmerdoc. €70 and got full screen

So guys, I now have my beautiful f12 and used bimmerdoc to get full screen CarPlay.
Process is fairly straight forward, using telegram messenger, you pick what you need based on your current system and then pay the €70.

You then get a link to download the system installer and a code. Set this up on a windows pc, use a cable to connect car to you laptop and run the software, then out in the code and in no time at all you have it.
I could have done this via my bmw and had it sent to the car over the air, that would have set me back £300.
As a bonus, you also get the latest maps for the head unit sat nav. I had trouble downloading the maps to a usb, but with a few messages back and forth to bimmerdoc, I managed to get it to work and updated the maps using a usb stick.

If anyone needs any help on this process, feel free to drop me a line.

On my car, sadly this has had to go back to the dealer, I had wheel vibration at 60mph, got a diagnostic from a local garage and they discovered the back wheels to be in poos shape, front discs and pads need changing and the doughnut on the drive shaft is worn, which is a problem on lots of BMWs apparently. I should have it back in a week or so, and will add some pics.
Appreciate 0