BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-30-2020, 01:23 AM   #1
Rogertyu
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

N55 640i gran coupe

Hi all

As the thread subject says I have the above vehicle (I’m based in the U.K. for reference). Currently on around 26,000 miles .

Have had the vehicle for a short while now and was just wondering if there was anything I should be wary of (preventative maintenance or otherwise). For reference I’ve already had the following done :

- yellow grommet replaced with drain channels cleared
- oil change done (last one was 2019, via idrive but I got an additional one done in September as preventative maintenance)

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

The N55 is generally a very reliable engine; especially compared to the previous N54 and earlier versions of the N63. Some of the things you should preventatively replace or keep a look out for include the following:

1.) Spark Plugs and Coil Packs

2.) Water pump

3.) Valve cover gasket

4.) Oil filter housing gasket

These are the 4 most common repairs that come to my
mind, and especially the latter 3 as your miles rack up closer to 80-100k miles. Other maintenance items may include changing the transmission fluid and filter, and changing out your differential fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

In addition to the above, there are the other obvious things if the car is new to you. Check the engine air filter and cabin air filter. If you have no record of a brake fluid flush in the last two years, do that. Check the condition of your rotors and your brake pad thicknesses.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
Rogertyu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
The N55 is generally a very reliable engine; especially compared to the previous N54 and earlier versions of the N63. Some of the things you should preventatively replace or keep a look out for include the following:

1.) Spark Plugs and Coil Packs

2.) Water pump

3.) Valve cover gasket

4.) Oil filter housing gasket

These are the 4 most common repairs that come to my
mind, and especially the latter 3 as your miles rack up closer to 80-100k miles. Other maintenance items may include changing the transmission fluid and filter, and changing out your differential fluid.
Thank you for your reply.

I had the vehicle checked for the last 2 points by a main dealer and was advised that everything is in order given the mileage.

I forgot to mention, it’s a AUC vehicle so I presume any of the points above which may fail should Be covered under warranty ?

Spark plugs were replaced exactly 1 year ago as per the vehicles service interval
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Rogertyu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
In addition to the above, there are the other obvious things if the car is new to you. Check the engine air filter and cabin air filter. If you have no record of a brake fluid flush in the last two years, do that. Check the condition of your rotors and your brake pad thicknesses.
I believe these were done last year too.
Brake fluid has just been done , where the brake pads were inspected and was advised everything was fine. Again, done via main dealer so as to keep the service history upto date via main dealer.

That said, would you recommend getting a service plan or is it probably better to pay as I go with regards to services ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogertyu View Post
I believe these were done last year too.
Brake fluid has just been done , where the brake pads were inspected and was advised everything was fine. Again, done via main dealer so as to keep the service history upto date via main dealer.

That said, would you recommend getting a service plan or is it probably better to pay as I go with regards to services ?

Thanks
I'm the wrong person to ask about service plans because I DIY everything. I am curious what "AUC" stands for. Never heard that acronym before.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
Rogertyu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I'm the wrong person to ask about service plans because I DIY everything. I am curious what "AUC" stands for. Never heard that acronym before.
lol thank you for your reply.

Auc stands for Approved Used Car. I don’t know what part of the world you are based but in the U.K. if you purchase a vehicle from a BMW main dealer it comes with a 12 month warranty as standard (amongst other benefits) which is classed as a AUC vehicle

Thanks 😊
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogertyu View Post
lol thank you for your reply.

Auc stands for Approved Used Car. I don’t know what part of the world you are based but in the U.K. if you purchase a vehicle from a BMW main dealer it comes with a 12 month warranty as standard (amongst other benefits) which is classed as a AUC vehicle

Thanks 😊
Here we call that CPO - Certified Pre-Owned. But it's not every car, it's only certain ones the dealers select and it will typically cost more than the same car that is not CPO.
Appreciate 0