BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
Robert2912
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 530i LCI

Register the auxiliary battery?

Hi all,

I have a question to the group here. I want to replace the main battery and the aux battery of my 640i GC. Of course I know that I have to register the new main battery to make sure that it will be properly charged. I use ISTA D for that job.
Battery is a Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 105 Ah.

My question is about the small second battery (13Ah, also AGM), I remember that I have read somewhere that this auxiliary battery should be registered too.
Am I right or wrong?
And if I am right, how is this job done?

I couldn't find the option in ISTA.
Or I didn't search long enough 🤔

I hope someone here can shine a light on it!

Thanks,

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If your software has read your communication bus...if the aux battery requires registration it will be listed just like the regular battery.

The registration of the new battery is due to the communication that goes on with it...which is mainly due to the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) connected to it which allows it to communicate with the car’s bus system. If your aux battery doesn’t have an IBS...then it probably won’t need to be registered which is probably why your software isn’t displaying a registration prompt for it.

Your AGM aux battery is monitored by a PCU (power control unit)...and again doesn’t use an IBS so there won’t be a need to register it...just the main service battery which DOES have an IBS.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-27-2020 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
blackbmw2018
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 6

Can advise the location of the auxiliary battery?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbmw2018 View Post
Can advise the location of the auxiliary battery?

Thanks
Unless you have integral active steering (4 wheel steering) your 640i probably doesn’t have an aux battery. If you did, it will be next to the main battery below the trunk floor. I’m just assuming here since you’re in the Netherlands...sometimes things are different in other BMW markets.

You can see the aux battery in the illustration below...it is G6 and sits between the larger main battery and rear bumper...again in the trunk’s battery storage compartment below the cargo floor:

If you don’t have the aux battery, then you’ll only see the main larger battery G1 in the battery compartment in the trunk:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-27-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      12-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
blackbmw2018
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 6

Thanks buddy. Yap! mine is G1.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #6
Robert2912
Banned
Rep

Thanks a lot for your quick answer QSilver7!

Location of both batteries is correct, they are in the middle of the trunk. My car comes with the Active Steering/Dynamic Drive option, so that's the reason it has the Aux battery as well.

When I replace both batteries this week I will have a closer look, but I don't think the small battery has an IBS sensor.
So it makes perfectly sense then that it doesn't need to be registered.

I will have a close look at ISTA to see what happens when it is actually communicating with the car though.

Thanks for your help again,

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

@ BB2018 & Rob2912 - Glad I could be of some help in this matter.

And here’s some more info about the PCU and how it facilitates the aux battery...do be AWARE that if you have the aux battery set-up...that when you disconnect the MAIN battery...the car is still powered by the aux battery. So if you need the vehicle totally powered down...you need to remove the negative battery cable from the aux battery, too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
maron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60&F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2912 View Post
Thanks a lot for your quick answer QSilver7!

Location of both batteries is correct, they are in the middle of the trunk. My car comes with the Active Steering/Dynamic Drive option, so that's the reason it has the Aux battery as well.

When I replace both batteries this week I will have a closer look, but I don't think the small battery has an IBS sensor.
So it makes perfectly sense then that it doesn't need to be registered.

I will have a close look at ISTA to see what happens when it is actually communicating with the car though.

Thanks for your help again,

Rob
Auxiliary batteries also need to register a record of replacement.
I did the processing with ISTA

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...2967/note.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Robert2912
Banned
Rep

Hello Maron,

Thank you very much for your interesting story!
However my Japanese is unfortunately by far not good enough to understand the Japanese version of ISTA.

Can you please tell me what the correct English menu is, and where I can find it in the English version of ISTA? Ofcourse I would like to register the replacement of the Aux battery too.

Thank you very much in advance,

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:50 PM   #10
maron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60&F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2912 View Post
Hello Maron,

Thank you very much for your interesting story!
However my Japanese is unfortunately by far not good enough to understand the Japanese version of ISTA.

Can you please tell me what the correct English menu is, and where I can find it in the English version of ISTA? Ofcourse I would like to register the replacement of the Aux battery too.

Thank you very much in advance,

Rob
Can be done from the service function after a complete vehicle test at ISTA

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:39 AM   #11
Robert2912
Banned
Rep

Thanks a lot Maron!

If weather permits and it stays dry outside I will do the exchange of both batteries today!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
c00lbeans
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Unless you have integral active steering (4 wheel steering) your 640i probably doesn’t have an aux battery. If you did, it will be next to the main battery below the trunk floor. I’m just assuming here since you’re in the Netherlands...sometimes things are different in other BMW markets.

You can see the aux battery in the illustration below...it is G6 and sits between the larger main battery and rear bumper...again in the trunk’s battery storage compartment below the cargo floor:

If you don’t have the aux battery, then you’ll only see the main larger battery G1 in the battery compartment in the trunk:

I need to change my aux battery in my x40e. Are you able to screen shot the directions? Im wondering if i need to disconnect the other batteries or just swap out the aux.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
I need to change my aux battery in my x40e. Are you able to screen shot the directions? Im wondering if i need to disconnect the other batteries or just swap out the aux.
It appears that on the 40e...the entire car needs to be denenergized.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 04:56 AM   #14
Ari
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Individual Gran Coupe

Hi all,

Just a quick introduction, my name is Ari, I live in The Netherlands and own a 640i Individual Gran Coupe.

I was just reading this thread since I’m facing a fault message related to the Active Steering. Very likely that the auxiliary battery needs to be replaced.

I was wondering if Robert figured out whether the aux battery actually needs to be registered. In BimmerLink I have only the option to register the main battery. I read contradicting info about registering the aux battery. I’m not sure if it has IBS.

Thanks for your help!
Regards, Ari

Last edited by Ari; 08-12-2022 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #15
Ari
Registered
Rep

For the record and for others that may face the same issue: I replaced the auxiliary battery and it solved the steering issue.

Error codes I got were:
4823F1

The mesage on the screen:
“Increased steering effort”

Syptoms:
When steering maximum to the left of right while not driving or very slow driving above message poped up. You could feel a bit harder steering for a sec but otherwise normal.

Dealer wanted to run extensive diagnostics and said they did not got errors on the aux battery. They said they might need to replace the steering house! I will feed back my conclusions to them. Also they said they did not have much experience with Integrated Active Steering vehicles.

Still unsure if it needs registration, they claim it does but the aux battery seems to be in serial with the main battery…

Last edited by Ari; 08-14-2022 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 07:22 AM   #16
Ari
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
For the record and for others that may face the same issue: I replaced the auxiliary battery and it solved the steering issue.

Error codes I got were:
4823F1

The mesage on the screen:
“Increased steering effort”

Syptoms:
When steering maximum to the left of right while not driving or very slow driving above message poped up. You could feel a bit harder steering for a sec but otherwise normal.

Dealer wanted to run extensive diagnostics and said they did not got errors on the aux battery. They said they might need to replace the steering house! I will feed back my conclusions to them. Also they said they did not have much experience with Integrated Active Steering vehicles.

Still unsure if it needs registration, they claim it does but the aux battery seems to be in serial with the main battery…
Went back to dealer to buy the original battery since the Varta one I bought had no hole for the hose in the trunk. It seems I should have bought the Varta AUX14 battery which has a hole for the hose. Since this one was not in stock, I bought the original at the dealer.

Well, after asking again whether it requires registration the guy looked up the whole replacement procedure for my VIN and said it does not indicate registration, while it does for the main battery. I do have Inetgral Active Steering.

When picking ul the battery at the parts area, the guy over there said the same, no registration!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Diving into the TIS…I’m inclined to believe that if your auxiliary battery DOES NOT have an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) connected to it…then it probably doesn’t need to be registered since it is monitored, charged, and under the control of the PCU.

Granted, some BMW models have a Lithium battery and some have an AGM battery that is located in the engine bay or other/various locations.. And if it has an IBS attached to it, when hooked up to diagnostic software, can be seen and possibly require registration if replaced.

But again, if the AGM aux battery is connected to the PCU, then it is maintained by the module and doesn’t communicate directly with the DME or the IBS, BST, and main 12 volt battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:00 PM   #18
Lomayne
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

Garage List
2014 BMW 750li  [0.00]
Did anyone have any luck with this issue? My f02 is throwing this same code. I've changed the trunk battery and do not have integrative stearing so no small aux battery in the trunk. I'm at my wits end with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:03 AM   #19
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomayne View Post
Did anyone have any luck with this issue? My f02 is throwing this same code. I've changed the trunk battery and do not have integrative stearing so no small aux battery in the trunk. I'm at my wits end with this issue.
You should start a new thread. This a long thread and nobody will know what code you are talking about without reading through it all. Plus this is mostly about an aux battery, which you don't have.
Appreciate 0