BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
Thue
Rep
Drives: BMW 650, BMW X5, BMW 528

Indie shop vs BMW (Inspection before warranty expires)

Hi 6post,

I'm hoping for y'all to help me sort out two questions I'm left with unanswered.

My 650 cab is coming up on it's last few days of BMW warranty, so a few days ago I took it to an indie shop in my city to have them complete a full inspection, the idea was to take their findings back to BMW and have them address any issues before the warranty expires end of year.

Now, the indie shop identified two things that BMW denies to be a problem.

Picture 1:
Indie shop: Hole identified in the exhaust, recommending weld hole shut or replace part of the exhaust.
BMW: The exhaust is supposed to have the hole to drain out condensation/fluid from the exhaust.

Picture 2:
Indie shop: Engine leaking oil around the vacuum pump between engine and firewall. Recommend dye service to determine source of leak.
BMW: Someone might have topped the vehicle off with oil and it wasn’t cleaned afterwards.

My question is then who is right? Hope some of you seasoned 6 series owners can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Thue
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

My response to #1: That's fine fine, show me another one with the hole. (Most exhausts do have a weep hole)
#2 : That could be, but since the car has been under BMW maintenance plan, only you clowns have been working on it. Clean it and if it's wet the next time I bring it in, it better be covered. BTW, put it in writing.

Last edited by Derekz4; 12-17-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Thue
Rep

Thanks for your responses Derek, I thought the weep holes were mostly in the mufflers, not in the exhaust pipe itself. Looked a whole lot like a Monday weld to me. Regarding the oil leak, I'll try your advice and make them clean it and commit to post warranty follow-up, I'm sure that'll be easy

Last edited by Thue; 12-17-2019 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thue View Post
Hi 6post,

I'm hoping for y'all to help me sort out two questions I'm left with unanswered.

My 650 cab is coming up on it's last few days of BMW warranty, so a few days ago I took it to an indie shop in my city to have them complete a full inspection, the idea was to take their findings back to BMW and have them address any issues before the warranty expires end of year.

Now, the indie shop identified two things that BMW denies to be a problem.

Picture 1:
Indie shop: Hole identified in the exhaust, recommending weld hole shut or replace part of the exhaust.
BMW: The exhaust is supposed to have the hole to drain out condensation/fluid from the exhaust.

Picture 2:
Indie shop: Engine leaking oil around the vacuum pump between engine and firewall. Recommend dye service to determine source of leak.
BMW: Someone might have topped the vehicle off with oil and it wasn’t cleaned afterwards.

My question is then who is right? Hope some of you seasoned 6 series owners can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Thue
I’m no exhaust expert but that looks like a poor weld and hole has now developed and I’m sorry the system should be sealed to where it exits at the rear from its series of mufflers and silencers... a ‘weep’ hole there along a weld seam ..... ummm me smells bullshit on that ... I’m also not aware of mufflers with condensation holes in them.... water vapour will pour out the exits of the exhausts as white condensation for sure in the right conditions. Again I’m not sure this is accurate
The oil dampness may or may not by ‘normal’ .... as suggested wash or hose it off and if it accumulates again quickly then ask them to rectify if it bothers you. Clearly obvious leaking oil should be fixed however some mild dampness around fill points that hasn’t been cleaned properly might easily be the issue too.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

All in all that's a pretty good report for the status of your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Munich_Simon
Germany
Rep
Drives: 650i xdrive

Had this also on my 650ix BMW changed the exhaust system.
My drain hole was on another place, I wonder why
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

A weep hole would be an obviously intentional hole - perfectly round. Is that? Doesn't look lit it to me. I think you are being lied to or the tech is too stupid to touch cars. You need to go back and stand your ground.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Thue
Rep

This is super helpful, especially the picture from Munich_Simon. I really appreciate it guys.
This BMW shop is always lying through their teeth, which is why I decided to have a 3rd party inspect the car.

I've already escalated it to the service manager and I'm awaiting their response. Will update the thread with their response.

Thanks again !!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
the drain holes are at the bottom of the pipe not on the side. The weld appears to be cracked as well so it does not look OK to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #10
Thue
Rep

@arucano : Are you saying that there are in fact supposed to be drain holes in the middle of the exhaust pipes? I haven't been able to find any supporting information or pictures for this. All I can find when googling pictures are mufflers with drain holes (not BMW though)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
Munich_Simon
Germany
Rep
Drives: 650i xdrive

In general, BMW does not have any drain holes in the exhaust system. If there is a hole, than it is a leak.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
@arucano : Are you saying that there are in fact supposed to be drain holes in the middle of the exhaust pipes? I haven't been able to find any supporting information or pictures for this. All I can find when googling pictures are mufflers with drain holes (not BMW though)
BMW does not put I holes in the pipes. I have seen some owners that drive short distances in cold weather putting a small (2mm or so) drain hole at the low point. Some mufflers will have the drain hole in the low point of the muffler. This is to drain any condensate that does not flash off because the exhaust did not get hot enough. If you drive trips where you are sure that the exhaust heats up enough to "dry" the exhaust, then all of this is academic.

BTW, none of my cars have drain holes in the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

1. Get the morons to put those responses in writing.

2. Send moronic responses to BMW Corporate along with pictures.

3. Go to another dealer ASAP to have the work done.

That dealer is clearly BS'ing you.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #14
Thue
Rep

Thought I'd provide a status for this as it's still ongoing.

After a week of fighting my local BMW service department, it seems I've had a bit of progress, I took your advice and started communicating via email only to create a paper trail, I also got the manager of the service department involved and started CC'ing him on everything. I'm still frustrated by the mandatory deny on every claim, and having to fight and push back to get them to cover simple and obvious warranty items.

I'm a loyal BMW customer with 3 BMWs in my garage and 12+ years of BMW only ownership however they're starting to wear me out to be honest - my wife is completely done with them after we caught them in multiple blatant lies related to her 5 series. Maybe it's a US thing, I'm originally from Europe and my experience from service visits in Germany has been stellar.

OK, done venting - on to the status:

1 - Exhaust: Service manager got involved and admitted that there is not supposed to be a hole in the exhaust, new part ordered from Germany. Took 4 days and countless emails before they got to this point. They can't give me a timeline for this fix.
2 - Oil leak: They are still sticking to it being a spill, however they have committed to cleaning it up and extending the warranty for this specific issue for 1 extra year. The idea would be to continue driving the car and then monitor for fresh oil at the next service.
3 - Drivers seat: I didn't mention the 3rd thing I asked them to look at, which of course they also denied being a problem. My drivers seat is jerking when moved laterally, when you have your butt in seat, it does not feel smooth going back and forth. I suspect it being a worn out plastic bushing of some sort. Had to drive to the shop, grab the service advisor, get her in the seat and move the seat back and forth for her. Finally she was like: "OK, I feel it now". Still waiting for a solution and timeline for this.

So yea, it'll probably be a few weeks more before I get my car back. Yay for BMWs customer care.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #15
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Regarding the driver's seat, that is a known issue. There is a thread that is probably still on the this top page here BMW is fixing it under warranty at like 21 hours labor. Find numerous threads and present them to your dealer. Common issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Regarding the driver's seat, that is a known issue. There is a thread that is probably still on the this top page here BMW is fixing it under warranty at like 21 hours labor. Find numerous threads and present them to your dealer. Common issue.
That’s one of my posts in the “What did you do to your ride” thread and yes initially the advisor said that since there is a service bulletin on the issue, it wouldn’t be covered under CPO (which my car is under now) but only covered under the New Car warranty. Regardless, I got them to replace both seat frames for free. It’s still in the shop after several weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Geez, are all of our cars going to have this seat issue? Should we try and break them before the 4 year 50k?

The more I think about it, this is a serious safety issue. They could be in some big trouble if s seat failed in a minor incident.

Last edited by Derekz4; 12-22-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Finally common sense has prevailed..... good for you mate , pays to stick to your guns.

It seems very odd to me you seem to have all these ‘quibbles’ with your BMW dealerships over there.
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky but my BMW dealers over the past 10 years could not have done enough to ensure any issues or concerns are dealt with quickly and without fuss. From battery replacement to other items I pointed out I wasn’t happy with and were indeed a fault. All done no fuss no cost with a coffee and smile. When I did have to pay for normal servicing after some of my cars came out of warranty it wasn’t too bad cost wise and the usual minor and major service intervals were taken care of. $500 to $1000 respectively or thereabouts.
WRT to the hole in the exhaust I’m not sure why the just didn’t put some spot weld on it this would have fixed it..... that they have ordered you a new exhaust component is great 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
Thue
Rep

@board57796 and @Opie55 Thanks for the heads up on the seat issue. I will look for your threads and use that as ammo in my continued battle with them.

@JBF650 I'm not sure whether it's a BMW NA or just the local dealership/service center issue, unfortunately the next BMW service center is 1 hour away from me without traffic, so I'm kinda stuck with this one.

My wife's BMW F10 had failures on both engine mounts and the differential bushing, also denied while under CPO with 73K miles on the clock. Additionally her brake rotors warped (no, she doesn't track the car and only commutes on back roads to work), this was initially also denied until I reached out to BMW NA to resolve the dispute. They offered her a $600 dollar wheel alignment as the resolution to the warped brake rotors initially I feel for people who are not the least bit car-savvy going to this dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #20
Thue
Rep

Wanted to give everyone an update on this.

After fighting BMW long and hard with the information you've all provided me they finally caved and ordered a new exhaust part as well as new seat rails for the drivers seat. You'd think that everything would go smooth from this point onward but that certainly was not the case.

Dec 16th: First service appointment, completing the oil service but denying all my other claims.
Dec 19th: BMW Service Manager steps in and admits that the hole in the exhaust is not supposed to be there, exhaust parts ordered.
Dec 27th: BMW Service Manager acknowledges the service bulletin for seat and orders seat parts.
Jan 7th: BMW Service tech curbs a wheel on the lift and they need to order a new tire and resurface the wheel.
Jan 8th: My car is ready for pickup. After picking it up I notice the exhaust is mounted to far to the rear (exhaust tips sticking 4 inches out from the bumper), immediately respond back that this needs to be addressed.
Jan 15th: Dropping my car off again to have the exhaust re-aligned.
Jan 21st: My car is again ready for pickup, pick up the car and on the way home I hear rattling like the exhaust is hitting the heat shield.
Jan 22nd: Take the car back to BMW and this time they fix it immediately, turns out a few of the bolts holding the exhaust were not tightened.
Feb 1st: Take the car out for the first real drive since getting it back (aside from going back and forth to the BMW service center) and I get a notification to add two quarts of oil. Mind you that I have less than 50 miles on the car since BMW did the oil service in mid December.

I'm at a loss for words here and actually got so pissed that I bought an Audi to get some BMW frustration out.

Let me know what you think - how would you react if this was your service experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Wanted to give everyone an update on this.

Feb 1st: Take the car out for the first real drive since getting it back (aside from going back and forth to the BMW service center) and I get a notification to add two quarts of oil. Mind you that I have less than 50 miles on the car since BMW did the oil service in mid December.

I'm at a loss for words here and actually got so pissed that I bought an Audi to get some BMW frustration out.

Let me know what you think - how would you react if this was your service experience.
Holy cow!!! 2 quarts! I'm very interested in how that call went to them. Which Audi did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #22
Thue
Rep

They are stonewalling me, not responding back to my emails and not returning my calls Had to ask for another Service Manager and have an appointment to drop off the car again tomorrow.

I bought a well equipped 2017 Q7 V6 to replace my X5. I found it impossible to find a pre-owned X5 with ACC, M-package and cooled seats at a reasonable price range.
Appreciate 0