BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
stmoore01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xdrive GC - 2001 330ci

Repair question

My 650 GC was backed into in a driveway and suffered almost imperceptible damage in the form of a couple scuffs to the clear bra on the front bumper and a ding in the right kidney grill. I have received 2 estimates both roughly the same work to be performed and the same refinishing of the front bumper effected area and reinstallation of a new clear bra. Car has night vision camera in front and one shop said it might need to be recalibrated but neither estimate mentions this so maybe not.

Here is the question, thanks for staying with me.

Shop A I have used for 2 repairs and have been happy with the work they did on my company explorer and wifes Q7.

Shop B only BMW certified repair center in Illinois. Not sure if this means they will do a superior job on the paint repair or not.

Your thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I wouldn't worry about whether they're BMW certified or not - I'd go with the best shop you can find. If Shop A has been solid in the past, that's probably a good option.

Sounds like the damage is largely cosmetic - anyone can replace a grille, so that should be no issue. If the night vision needed calibration, that could always be done at your BMW dealer if worst came to worst, I'd think.

What probably matters most here is a good paint shop. I've seen so many terrible paint jobs - matching issues, orange peel, etc. Depending upon the color, some are much more difficult to match. So, long story short - go with the highest quality shop with a good paint department.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:04 AM   #3
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

What probably matters most here is a good paint shop. Depending upon the color, some are much more difficult to match.
This is so true and as long as we do not talk about body damage it's a bit more easy task while for example bumber has different angles and those minor differences are not seen that clearly.

I'm having a hit in my back bumber which has streched the plastic and I'd have to buy a new one/ 2'nd part.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

No, your night vision does not need to be racalibrated. I've had my bumper cover off. Disconnecting the night vision is a bit of a PITA, especially the washer hose.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore01 View Post
My 650 GC was backed into in a driveway and suffered almost imperceptible damage in the form of a couple scuffs to the clear bra on the front bumper and a ding in the right kidney grill. I have received 2 estimates both roughly the same work to be performed and the same refinishing of the front bumper effected area and reinstallation of a new clear bra. Car has night vision camera in front and one shop said it might need to be recalibrated but neither estimate mentions this so maybe not.

Here is the question, thanks for staying with me.

Shop A I have used for 2 repairs and have been happy with the work they did on my company explorer and wifes Q7.

Shop B only BMW certified repair center in Illinois. Not sure if this means they will do a superior job on the paint repair or not.

Your thoughts??
A known and trusted paint shop that you have had a positive experience with before is probably the best option. As a very knowledgeable member on here has already advised you, just because they are 'BMW accredited" doesn't mean their work will be 'better' than your known shop.
I had my front bumper re done too, it had a number of curb rashes , scrapes and some rather average touch ups done in the past. I couldn't live with it so sent it to a shop I knew and trusted and they removed it, fixed it and sprayed it properly. They did a beautiful job for $1000 cash . I would say just ensure they remove completely to avoid any risk of over spray.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
stmoore01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xdrive GC - 2001 330ci

Thanks for the comments everyone, I was leaning towards the shop I have used before so your advice is well received. I am sure they are going to remove the bumper so overspray shouldn't be an issue. Happy Holidays to everyone!
Appreciate 1