BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850 Gran Coupe

640 gran coupe exhaust options

I used the search option, and couldnt find much info on exhaust systems for the 640i GC. Any suggestions as to what systems you guys are using pros and cons. I am only seeing Megan and eisenmann exhausts on youtube. Clips dont do either of them much justice. I am looking to do quad tips. And I have an msport 640 gc. Which diffuser is going to work with quad tips and my car? From my research I have come up with the m6 diffuser, am I correct or will a 650 gc diffuser work? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Tfzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

Sorry to hijack this thread,
Anyone knows how to make 640i sounds like this?

As far as I know there are no valves on our exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfzen View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread,
Anyone knows how to make 640i sounds like this?

As far as I know there are no valves on our exhaust.
That’s sounds like it is a straight pipe with no mufflers
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
tpsc3crt
Rep
Drives: 640XI F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genovese45 View Post
I used the search option, and couldnt find much info on exhaust systems for the 640i GC. Any suggestions as to what systems you guys are using pros and cons. I am only seeing Megan and eisenmann exhausts on youtube. Clips dont do either of them much justice. I am looking to do quad tips. And I have an msport 640 gc. Which diffuser is going to work with quad tips and my car? From my research I have come up with the m6 diffuser, am I correct or will a 650 gc diffuser work? Thanks in advance
You could go with those name brands, or have an exhaust shop remove the mufflers and do a straight pipe to dual tips on each side. Then go for the M6 diffuser. I opted for swapping my 640 mufflers for 650 msport because i like the cleaner look of the rectangular shaped tips. Pops really well with a tune and intake. I just got a downpipe i have yet to install. So that should make it much meaner.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
tpsc3crt
Rep
Drives: 640XI F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
That’s sounds like it is a straight pipe with no mufflers
Agreed. Sounds like he removed the exhaust and did a simple straight pipe. More pops come with a tune. I have the JB4 and it definitely helps and is easy to install if you're only doing stage1 for a conservative boost and not higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsc3crt View Post
Quote:
You could go with those name brands, or have an exhaust shop remove the mufflers and do a straight pipe to dual tips on each side. Then go for the M6 diffuser. I opted for swapping my 640 mufflers for 650 msport because i like the cleaner look of the rectangular shaped tips. Pops really well with a tune and intake. I just got a downpipe i have yet to install. So that should make it much meaner.
thank you. where did you purchase your diffuser if you dont mind me asking? there are so many I dont wanna purchase one that has fitment issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Sounds like he removed the exhaust and did a simple straight pipe. More pops come with a tune. I have the JB4 and it definitely helps and is easy to install if you're only doing stage1 for a conservative boost and not higher.
Agreed, I am currently running the JB4 with Megan Racing mufflers with a deleted resonator on a 650 though..and I am ver happy with my exhaust note.. aggressive if you on it.. purrs when just daily driving...

Straight pipe going to give you a lot of drone is the consensus from a lot of other senior members...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
Quote:
Agreed, I am currently running the JB4 with Megan Racing mufflers with a deleted resonator on a 650 though..and I am ver happy with my exhaust note.. aggressive if you on it.. purrs when just daily driving...

Straight pipe going to give you a lot of drone is the consensus from a lot of other senior members...
is yours an xdrive? because I called Megan and they said that their mufflers are not made for the xdrive. but I think that it may work with some modifications. I think that a muffler shop can make anything with a little modifying. am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

go m5 or m6 exhaust. Hpipe and delete resonators.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
go m5 or m6 exhaust. Hpipe and delete resonators.
what about drone? and is the h pipe the same as the x pipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
so with a v6 640 will it sound noticeably better with the mufflers removed? I dont want it 2 be obnoxious. Here is a pic of the tips I want to use. What do you think? You likey?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #12
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is yours an xdrive? because I called Megan and they said that their mufflers are not made for the xdrive. but I think that it may work with some modifications. I think that a muffler shop can make anything with a little modifying. am I wrong?
yes I have an xdrive and good muffler shop can do it..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
sk0525
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F85

I had a 640 GC xDrive and an exhaust (don't remember the manufacturer). If I could do it over, I'd stick with the M5/M6 exhaust and have a muffler shop install/modify as necessary.
      09-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
Mennaf06
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 640i

I just had 2 borla mufflers and quad tips installed on my 640. I literally got nothing more out of it except drone at 2,000 rpm. I got them to agree to change it but I'm not sure what I should do.

1. Should I put stock resonator on for the right side, and delete left side muffler?

2. Delete them both?

3. Any combo of the above with an x pipe or H pipe.

I'm not looking for anything crazy and definitely don't want drone
Attached Images

Appreciate 0