BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Automatic headlights

It may be that I never noticed this before, but on the drive to the office this morning and back home this afternoon, the headlights were on even though I had the light switch at automatic, like I always do.

I was in the car after sunrise and before sunset and the sky was still blue, so I am not sure why the headlights were on and not the DRL. Is the system not sensitive enough?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
It may be that I never noticed this before, but on the drive to the office this morning and back home this afternoon, the headlights were on even though I had the light switch at automatic, like I always do.

I was in the car after sunrise and before sunset and the sky was still blue, so I am not sure why the headlights were on and not the DRL. Is the system not sensitive enough?

Thanks
You don’t mean the daytime running light rings do you? There are infinite settings you can adjust with your headlights through coding if you you access to it.
My 650 adaptive lights are truely outstanding! I love the way they throw light around ....it’s like a light show! My light rings are always on , Ive set them this way. During the day its only when I notice the dash go from white light to orange that my headlights proper come on. This is when the outside light falls below a threshold ie going into a tunnel etc etc.
I have also set Auto lights as a default to on so I never need to put highbeam on. This a great option through coding too.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi JBF,

The actual headlights were on and the green headlight dash indicator was on as well. When I moved the light switch to the off position, the headlights turned off (as did the green indicator) and the DRL came on.

So, is there something wrong with the automatic headlight sensor or is the system only set-up to turn the headlights off when it is even brighter outside?

As well, where are the headlight settings that I can code? I have BimmerCode and did not see those settings, only settings that have to do with the DRL (I coded my high beams as automatic and this indicator was on on my drives to and from work, showing that my headlights were on as well).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You didn't say how close to sunrise or sunset you meant or whether this is a new development. Sometimes the lights can come on if you are driving away from a low sun because it casts a stark shadow across the sensor area. But does the system kick in as the sun gets higher?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto Opie55...if it was early morning...the angle of the sun is low in the sky now that we've past the autumnal (fall) equinox and we're heading toward the winter solstice...the lower angle of the sun creates longer shadows...and this affects the light sensor and causes the headlights to illuminate if in auto mode during this time of year. This will occur until we pass or get close to the vernal (spring) equinox.

The two illustration below shows how far the sun rises in the sky summer/spring/fall/winter at sunrise/noon/sunset. Again, from sometime in mid to late fall through early to mid spring...even on a sunny morning or evening...your auto headlights came illuminate at times you'd think they wouldn't. The upside to this is that it makes your car more visible to oncoming traffic that might not otherwise see you as they are driving toward you with the sun in their eyes.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-04-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #6
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, it seems that you are right. I kept a close watch on the green indicator over the last few days and noticed that the headlights do go on in the early morning and late afternoon due to the sun being lower in the sky in the winter. I even noticed that during mid-day, in some cloudy conditions, the headlights will also turn on.

The system seems to be designed to be sensitive enough to detect those situations where more light would be necessary, even during the day.

Good job, BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

On an Audi, there is a setting in the menu for when you want the lights to come one - early, normal or late. I have not seen that we have that, or even heard of it being something that can be coded. I'll have to check my car, but it seems that my headlights don't some on until after sunset. But maybe I'm just not noticing, because unlike Audi, the headlights and nav maps behave independently of each other.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
...I'll have to check my car, but it seems that my headlights don't some on until after sunset. But maybe I'm just not noticing...
Like Michael wrote...look for the little green icon that illuminates when your side lights/headlights turn on...then you'll know if it is happening (headlights turning on with a full sun still in the sky).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-06-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

I’ve noticed this a few times as well. I don’t really see it as a problem. The car is probably just erring on the side of safety.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Another interesting thing about this "sun-low-in-the-sky" on a sunny day & the headlights turning on is...the instrument cluster lights stay white instead of turning their reddish hue as they do at dusk/night or if you pull or drive into a dark location like a garage or tunnel. The only give-away is the little green symbol...unless you happen to catch the image of the front end off a reflective surface.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Another interesting thing about this "sun-low-in-the-sky" on a sunny day & the headlights turning on is...the instrument cluster lights stay white instead of turning their reddish hue as they do at dusk/night or if you pull or drive into a dark location like a garage or tunnel. The only give-away is the little green symbol...unless you happen to catch the image of the front end off a reflective surface.
Correct - the other give away is if you can catch that the buttons (e.g. AC or pre-set buttons) are backlit red.
Appreciate 0