BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #23
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUGOGRN View Post
Really good advice. What I am confused about though is how all these places are quoting 6-9 hours when I have read multiple posts on these forums of people who did it themselves in less than 5, at home. There is clearly a disconnect. Either there is something that should be done by the DIY'ers that is not or ALL of these places are over-quoting me. However, I know they are not "over-quoting" me as every quote of hours I get is based out of some book they are reading from. For example, I just got off the phone with the other BMW dealer here and they mentioned something about needing to use a laser when putting the new spring on the strut and that the headlights need to be re-adjusted once the car has been lowered. I wonder if these sort of things are causing the delta in time between the DIY'ers and the indy's...
Book number is often different than actual time. They are all going to quote you the book number. An indy with experience may quote you whayt they think it will take them based on experience. There is reportedly a big difference in complexity between the x drive and non-xdrive, so keep that in mind when you see posts from southern california or an M car.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #24
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee View Post
no but ive personally lowered a bunch of porsches, audis, etc with awd. ive even done a few X5's before. having two axles in the front does not add 6 hours to the labor time. most of the time you dont even need to remove or touch the axle at all. you might have to loosen or remove something else, but rarely does the front axle cause that much problem.
unless you have done it on this vehicle you don't know how long it will take. Every vehicles geometry is different. The X5 wasnt bad, the 6 series with x drive is reportedly a real bitch to lower.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZING View Post
I would purchase the springs on my own and bring it into the shop to install. Then, the same shop would do a 4 wheel alignment. Total labor cost is $690.

The $750 quote the original poster got seems about right. A good shop in NY charges around $125/hr plus around $130 for a 4 wheel alignment. At 4 hours labor, plus alignment, that brings you to $630. I guess the extra $60 is sales tax.
this is about right. 750-900 would be going rate where I am.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #26
Flash6S
Rep
Drives: 2014 640i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR3lly View Post
I can confirm that part about the laser.
When reassembling the front shock, you have to align it with a special laser tool...

However, my contact at bmw said that this is more applicable for new installs. You could also make marks before disassembling and put it back the exact same way as it was.
Is the laser particularly for Xdrive only or specific for any 6 series spring install?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
PIR3lly
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix

Not really sure. I think it's for all 5 and 6 series front shocks. But you don't "really" need it, if you just make sure you align everything the same way as it came originally. If you don't, you'll get into problems mounting the shock back in position (and according to the manual, it could cause "substantial impairment of handling characteristics").

I just came back of doing the lowering myself. 2013 6 Gran Coupe xDrive.
Purchased Eibach pro lowering springs and my local BMW dealer adviced me to buy a set of new support bearings (with screws), as the screws that go into them are self tapping. I also was able to borrow all the Original BMW special tools needed to do the lowering.
With this, a bridge and the help of a friend (mechanic) the install took us only 4 hours. And that's on an xDrive! It was pretty straight forward.
You just have to pay good attention as to how you get the shocks out. Also removing the nuts from the rear shocks through the speaker holes was a bit of a challenge. There was almost no need to remove additional components to remove the shocks. I did make some pictures during the install. If I find some spare time, I might be able to upload them if wanted.

I'm really happy with the result. Not too low, and still a comfortable ride.
Total costs including springs and support bearings; €390,- (still have to do the alignment though).

Sorry about the grainy pics, was a bit difficult with the garage lighting...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #28
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Man... That's a great stance! Can't wait to get mine done. After calling about 12 different places here, I have settled on a place who said they would do it for 4 hours of work. They said it would be tight (to get the job done) but they would stick with that pricing. I am dropping it off with them this Wednesday morning before leaving for a short vacation. Picking it up a week from this Monday and then I will post pics. Thanks so much for all the input here from all. I learned a lot!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #29
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 550i xdrive

Quote:
Man... That's a great stance! Can't wait to get mine done. After calling about 12 different places here, I have settled on a place who said they would do it for 4 hours of work. They said it would be tight (to get the job done) but they would stick with that pricing. I am dropping it off with them this Wednesday morning before leaving for a short vacation. Picking it up a week from this Monday and then I will post pics. Thanks so much for all the input here from all. I learned a lot!
I do realize I'm reviving an old thread but where are the pics?? I, too, am in Denver looking for a good/reputable shop to install some ACS on my xdrive. How did your experience end up? Can I ask who you used and what final cost was? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #30
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitchn5ive View Post
I do realize I'm reviving an old thread but where are the pics?? I, too, am in Denver looking for a good/reputable shop to install some ACS on my xdrive. How did your experience end up? Can I ask who you used and what final cost was? TIA!
I wish I had some good news for you or a reputable shop that I could recommend but unfortunately I have neither. I did end up finding a shop that was a reasonable price and they started to install the springs but about halfway through they discovered that the rear shocks are leaking. So I told them to stop and I called up the BMW dealership since I was still covered under my warranty and they were kind enough to swap out the Springs when they did the shock warranty replacement. I would share the name of the shop but I don't think they would appreciate that as they ultimately concluded that they would not like to do a job like that again. I don't understand why everybody else throughout the country has such an easy job finding a shop that can easily swap out there Springs but in Denver it is damn near impossible. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted on what you are able to find.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
First, please note that I have searched this entire forum and have read countless threads on lowering our 6'ers so I am not starting this thread w/o being educated.

I am currently being shipped some lowering springs for my 2014 650 F12 Xdrive. Knowing they would be the highest price, I asked my dealership for a quote on install of lowering springs and received the following pricing that I could not believe:
$1,500 for install plus
$230 for alignment

I then reached out a couple of other independent BMW mechanics here in Denver and one of them quoted me a "steal" at $1,300 for install plus alignment.

I am lost right now. Reading through so many threads in this forum on "lowering springs" would lead me to believe the cost should be somewhere between $250 and $700, all-in.

When I discussed that fact with one guy, he told me that both the front and rear struts have to be removed and then you have to disassemble them to install the new springs (apparently total hours per the guide of 9).

For those of you have experience working on our cars, can you give me some advice? Is it possible that the work required on my car is so much different than say a RWD F13? Or are these mechanics just taking what I am asking them (which is to simply "install lowering springs") and going to their guide which has some incorrect information?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!
It should not cost that much I got H&R springs 370 and 280 to install them nowhere near what you got that's insane
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #32
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I wish I had some good news for you or a reputable shop that I could recommend but unfortunately I have neither. I did end up finding a shop that was a reasonable price and they started to install the springs but about halfway through they discovered that the rear shocks are leaking. So I told them to stop and I called up the BMW dealership since I was still covered under my warranty and they were kind enough to swap out the Springs when they did the shock warranty replacement. I would share the name of the shop but I don't think they would appreciate that as they ultimately concluded that they would not like to do a job like that again. I don't understand why everybody else throughout the country has such an easy job finding a shop that can easily swap out there Springs but in Denver it is damn near impossible. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted on what you are able to find.
Thanks for the response!

Well that surely ended up saving you quite a bit of dough. Good of the shop to point it out.

I almost bought springs last week. I'm glad I didn't. Finding a place to install them with out ripping my face off might be more challenging than it seems. I'll f/u assuming I have success....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #33
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
It should not cost that much I got H&R springs 370 and 280 to install them nowhere near what you got that's insane
I believe RWD are substantially cheaper, both the springs and the install is much simpler/cheaper.

Are you referring to prices of install for your xdrive or rwd (assuming your 650 is RWD?)?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #34
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I believe RWD are substantially cheaper, both the springs and the install is much simpler/cheaper.

Are you referring to prices of install for your xdrive or rwd (assuming your 650 is RWD?)?
NM... just saw your 650 is xdrive too.

So, assuming you are referring to h/r install on one of those two vehicles, not sure why such a big difference from a shop in one area to a shop in the next.

I'll be calling around this week. Hopefully get some better news.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #35
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
and then I will post pics.
Would still like to see some pics! If it isn't too much trouble...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #36
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:

My xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #37
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No before and after but the thread below shows the final results after all the mods were done. Overall, I was incredibly happy with the car's aggressive stance. 20x10 rear 20x9 front. 1" lowered. No spacers. No rubbing.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387160
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #38
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
No before and after but the thread below shows the final results after all the mods were done. Overall, I was incredibly happy with the car's aggressive stance. 20x10 rear 20x9 front. 1" lowered. No spacers. No rubbing.

WHY DOES MY DROP LOOK LOWER AND IT SEEMS WE HAVE THE SAME SPRINGS
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #39
Ptoscano911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Anybody have drop pics w/spacers
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #40
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My second to last pic in that thread I linked looks pretty close

Maybe difference with vert vs GC?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #41
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
My second to last pic in that thread I linked looks pretty close

Maybe difference with vert vs GC?
Yea probably jus the pic
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #42
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Nice, thanks! Looks real good!

After my calling around, I only found a few shops that wanted to quote it and basically coming in all about the same at about 9 - 11 hours labor and $1,000 - $1,300 depending on with alignment or not. Plus, the cost of the AWD springs are much higher at $600 making this a $2,000 lowering venture.

Not what I was anticipating but I'll probably pay the piper still anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #43
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:

Nice, thanks! Looks real good!

After my calling around, I only found a few shops that wanted to quote it and basically coming in all about the same at about 9 - 11 hours labor and $1,000 - $1,300 depending on with alignment or not. Plus, the cost of the AWD springs are much higher at $600 making this a $2,000 lowering venture.

Not what I was anticipating but I'll probably pay the piper still anyway.
They shouldn't take nine hours that's a lie put a camera in your car while they do the work lol
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #44
Ptoscano911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Spring are around 300 for f/r. Not sure what springs you are looking at for 600??
Appreciate 0