BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #67
hooligan_clt
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
...That's not what I said, at all.

Besides, Trump is under no obligation to produce his tax returns just because his political opponents think that *maybe*, *possibly*, *it could just be the case* that he has financial ties that they disapprove of. It's like me asking you to prove that you aren't a child molester.

If you want to accuse someone of such, the burden is on the person bringing the accusation to provide the evidence to support the accusation. I have no evidence that you are a child molester, thus I have no grounds to demand that you prove you aren't.

Again - being a natural born citizen is a prerequisite to the presidency. Requiring a candidate to provide verification that they meet this requirement is reasonable and prudent, no different than an employer verifying that a potential employee has the qualifications to hold a given job title.

Providing ones tax returns is not a part of the qualification process for the presidency, nor is it even something that has traditionally been supplied. The calls for Trump to provide his tax returns are motivated by nothing more than simple animosity and assumptions.

And that's not what I said at all.

So we agree, that there is a potential for conflicts - especially given the President's private business endeavors - that could be put to bed if he released his returns? Returns which we both agree that he is in no way required to release.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #68
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt
And that's not what I said at all.

So we agree, that there is a potential for conflicts - especially given the President's private business endeavors - that could be put to bed if he released his returns? Returns which we both agree that he is in no way required to release.
Sure, there's a potential for conflict, just like there's a potential that you're a child molester.

My point in my original post, which was a response to the question of who is worse, birther vs tax returners, is that the tax return folks are worse because at least the birthers had (have?) a valid reason to insist that Obama provide his birth certificate: they were trying to establish the legitimacy of his candidacy for the office of President. Tax returners don't have any grounds for which to make their demands other than "We don't like him so we're sure he's hiding something. Prove us wrong!"

07-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #69
hooligan_clt
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Sure, there's a potential for conflict, just like there's a potential that you're a child molester.

My point in my original post, which was a response to the question of who is worse, birther vs tax returners, is that the tax return folks are worse because at least the birthers had (have?) a valid reason to insist that Obama provide his birth certificate: they were trying to establish the legitimacy of his candidacy for the office of President. Tax returners don't have any grounds for which to make their demands other than "We don't like him so we're sure he's hiding something. Prove us wrong!"
No birthers were the ones that didn't believe it, even after Obama released his birth certificate, twice.

They are definitely worse, because the odds that Trump might be financially beholden to a foreign entity are vastly greater than the odds that Obama faked his birth certificate.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #70
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
No birthers were the ones that didn't believe it, even after Obama released his birth certificate, twice.

They are definitely worse, because the odds that Trump might be financially beholden to a foreign entity are vastly greater than the odds that Obama faked his birth certificate.
Yeah I was more referring to the people asking for the birth certificate in the ~4 years of his candidacy and presidency before it was released. People who still reject his eligibility are dumb.