BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Are we safe in our cars?

As I was washing my car yesterday, and the doors unlocked and locked when I sprayed the handles I got to wondering. Since the key is definitely in proximity when we’re stopped at a light, could a well-informed nefarious person simply walk up and open the door? I might do an experiment.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Good point you brought up. I was actually thinking the opposite this morning...if I accidentally locked my keys in the car would I be able to open it with keyless access?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
Good point you brought up. I was actually thinking the opposite this morning...if I accidentally locked my keys in the car would I be able to open it with keyless access?
Idk what happens if the key is locked in the car, but once, in Palm Springs, I misplaced my key and was able to unlock my car with the BMW connected app, but I couldn’t start it. After a bit my host found the key. Whew!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
ChrisUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
As I was washing my car yesterday, and the doors unlocked and locked when I sprayed the handles I got to wondering. Since the key is definitely in proximity when we’re stopped at a light, could a well-informed nefarious person simply walk up and open the door? I might do an experiment.
I just did the test for you guys,

I have 2 sets of keys.

Left the one inside the car on purpose, closed the doors and walked to my house.

I used the second key to lock the car and the car would not lock by flashing all hazard lights and bopping the horn once

I tired multiple times and even left the key outside the car (just under the front left door) and the car still wouldn't lock and make all these sounds when trying to press the lock key button from the second pair of keys.

Maybe it is my version not really sure.
I have the M6 F06 with comfort package.

Hope this helps!
Chris Mav
Appreciate 1
Junebug851620.50
      07-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
No...if your central locking system and comfort access system is working properly...a nefarious person shouldn’t be able to unlock your door from the outside if you’re inside with the doors locked and also have the remote with you.

There are multiple aerials inside and outside the car...and the CAS module tracks the location of the remote...and works with the FZV (central locking system) and all of the other modules that may be communicating with the CAS module (FRM/FEM/BDC/etc)...and the door handle CA function is disabled when the driver is inside the locked vehicle.

You can easily test this by rolling down a front window. Leave the remote on the center console & get out and shut the front door, then reach in and lock the vehicle using the central lock button. If you try to unlock the car using the CA door handles...they should remain locked.

These aerials and modules are the reason why the test that ChrisUK did and explained in his post above came out the way it did. When things are working correctly...the remote that unlocked the vehicle is tracked and if it is still inside the cabin or inside the trunk (there’s aerials in the trunk, too)...the systems were designed to not allow the vehicle to be locked.

BUT owner BEWARE...because just because its supposed to work that way...try to make sure you always have your key on you and remember to try to never lay your keys down inside the trunk...because the very time that you do it...the system won’t work correctly (is that Murphy’s law?). I have read threads where owners have actually locked their keys inside the cabin or trunk...thinking that it should not have happened. But sometimes the remote was inside a purse/bag/case/luggage/coat pocked/etc...and something prevented the aerial and remote from communicating...thus they got locked out.

EDIT: you can find more info about these aerials and how they interact with the remote/CAS/FEM/BDC/etc modules if you go to the TIS website (www.newtis.info), enter your VIN, then type interior aerial in the search box. Below is an example of the one in the front center console:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-12-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
jjasonSU194.00
Frupal792.50
      07-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
No...if you central locking system and comfort access system is working properly...a nefarious person shouldn’t be able to unlock your door from the outside if you’re inside with the doors locked and also have the remote with you.

There are multiple aerials inside and outside the car...and the CAS module tracks the location of the remote...and works with the FZV (central locking system) and all of the other modules that may be communicating with the CAS module (FRM/FEM/BDC/etc)...and the door handle CA function is disabled when the driver is inside the locked vehicle.

You can easily test this by rolling down a front window. Leave the remote on the center console & get out and shut the front door, then reach in and lock the vehicle using the central lock button. If you try to unlock the car using the CA door handles...they should remain locked.

These aerials and modules are the reason why the test that ChrisUK did and explained in his post above came out the way it did. When things are working correctly...the remote that unlocked the vehicle is tracked and if it is still inside the cabin or inside the trunk (there’s aerials in the trunk, too)...the systems were designed to not allow the vehicle to be locked.

BUT owner BEWARE...because just because its supposed to work that way...try to make sure you always have your key on you and remember to try to never lay your keys down inside the trunk...because the very time that you do it...the system won’t work correctly (is that Murphy’s law?). I have read threads where owners have actually locked their keys inside the cabin or trunk...thinking that it should not have happened. But sometimes the remote was inside a purse/bag/case/luggage/coat pocked/etc...and something prevented the aerial and remote from communicating...thus they got locked out.

EDIT: you can find more info about these aerials and how they interact with the remote/CAS/FEM/BDC/etc modules if you go to the TIS website (www.newtis.info), enter you VIN, then type interior aerial in the search box. Below is an example of the one in the front center console:

Hi ho Quicksilver! Another great answer. I can now rest easy at stoplights.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0