BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-23-2022, 10:24 PM   #1
paul_80eighty
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

Are DMEs/ECU different in 2013 M6 vs 2014.5+ M6?

So I reached out to Mission tuning today with a few questions about their tune. One of the questions was if they could add a burble/crackle to the tune, to which they said was something they were very against doing on the 2013 M6 platform due to "hardware limitations" which they elaborated to being the DMEs, and that they were different from 2014.5 and up M6. They said that EGTs get to dangerous levels with the crackle/burble tune on the 2013 M6.

Does anyone know if this is true? I've seen several people with 2013 and 2014 M6 that have crackle and pop tunes, and it seems like no other tuning platform has that issue. Are the DMEs actually different before the LCI?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

there are a bunch of revisions of the same DME and they are exchangeable, I think it comes down to the base programming of the car. the LCI has a different DME, very similar but upgraded that is not able to be retrofitted. I think it has something to due with the s63tu2 rev of the engine, and the change to electronic waste gates

As for the EGTs getting too hot and dangerous, that goes for all burble tunes, the crackle pop is not good for the engine, or any engine really
      03-27-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
there are a bunch of revisions of the same DME and they are exchangeable, I think it comes down to the base programming of the car. the LCI has a different DME, very similar but upgraded that is not able to be retrofitted. I think it has something to due with the s63tu2 rev of the engine, and the change to electronic waste gates

As for the EGTs getting too hot and dangerous, that goes for all burble tunes, the crackle pop is not good for the engine, or any engine really
What are you basing your information off of here ? With no tune and having downpipes you will get pops and crackles when letting off throttle due to the nature of a turbo car or a twin turbo car. EGTs on the s63tu engine are already high as this is the nature of a hot V engine and the manifolds were made to withstand this. Unlikely that you will see an issue as these burble tunes are just simply overruns of fuel…
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

you can view the different revisions of the DMEs on realoem.com

you can get pops and crackles off an NA car too, it doesnt have anything to do with turbos, it deals with the overrun engine state the car goes into, but the excess fuel being put into the exhaust is not good for your turbos or exhaust system.

Originally overrun was developed for racing to increase hot air by the diffuser of a car to gain more mechanical grip while slowing down into a corner.