BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

DSS Axle Removal and Install

Guys, I threw a video on YouTube because I couldn't find one to remove and replace the Axles. I upgraded to DSS after I snapped mine and after I already had them removed I decided to do a video because there was no way I was going to do it the way ISTAD said to. Maybe I was wrong in doing so, but I figured out a way and thought since I couldn't find a video I would post one. Hope its informative and helps someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_DK0zF4vAo&t=897s
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB6 View Post
Guys, I threw a video on YouTube because I couldn't find one to remove and replace the Axles. I upgraded to DSS after I snapped mine and after I already had them removed I decided to do a video because there was no way I was going to do it the way ISTAD said to. Maybe I was wrong in doing so, but I figured out a way and thought since I couldn't find a video I would post one. Hope its informative and helps someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_DK0zF4vAo&t=897s

This is a great video on how to remove rear differentials!

My rear differential seals leak and I'm going to replace it at the same time as a brake job required.

ISTA calls for a special tool to remove the differentials. However, in your video, you mentioned that you just pried it out with a crowbar. I want to remove my rear differentials and reuse it. So I have a few questions if you don't mind.

- Did it damage the rear differentials at all? I want to replace the seals and need to reuse the differentials.

- How long was the job for you? Since you have done it, how long would it take for you to do the job again? I'm just looking for an estimate. I have a quote to replace the seals for 1k. If the labor is that intensive then I'll pay for it. However, if it's just a 4-8 hrs job then I can save some money and learn something about this car. I have all the tools and knowledge about cars to do it.

- Can you post the nut size/type that you used to remove the bolt that tied the hub and rear differential together? I know I can lookup in ISTA but I just wanted to confirm with you.

Thank you for the info in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a lift which made it way easier. I really just used a series of pry bars against the housing of the axles and the diff using a block of wood to leverage off of. Just don't go crazy on the pressure applied to the pry bar, you have to be patient and bounce it a few times. You may scratch the black housing of the axle with the pry bar, but that's about all it did as far of noticeable damage for me at least. To pull them off it took me about 3 hours, but that was some processing time to figure out what I wanted to take apart since I didn't do it per the manuals. Once you figure out the bolts I explained in the video then it goes pretty quick. The only part that takes long is if you get a difficult axles that doesn't want to release from the diff while your pry barring it. The rest of the items are pretty simples. Putting them back on took me about two hours included a test drive and then I returned to put in new diff fluid and I took my time on that so add another 30-45 min. All of this can be completed much faster now that I know how to take it all apart, but the first time is slow because you want to do it right. take a look at this web page and it will provide you with a lot of information as far as bolt sizing, series to remove, torque values, fluids, etc.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f13-m6-cou/
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

How did you break your axles ?
Do you use launch control a lot or track the car ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #5
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
thank for explaining and vid, i hear howling sound from rear of the car when i drive 60km/h and more and sound getting more with more speed, so i took the car to BMW because still under warranty, they said that i need new wheel hub/bearing and axle on left side because there is oil leak, they ordered the parts and waiting for them to do it, after replacing the axle and sound still there they will change the deferential... so i will wait and see what will happen. thanks again
      08-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
How did you break your axles ?
Do you use launch control a lot or track the car ?
Just a launch at the track. I have only launched it about 5 times. But I do have a BM3 OTS stg2 rune and fabworks DP’s.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
thank for explaining and vid, i hear howling sound from rear of the car when i drive 60km/h and more and sound getting more with more speed, so i took the car to BMW because still under warranty, they said that i need new wheel hub/bearing and axle on left side because there is oil leak, they ordered the parts and waiting for them to do it, after replacing the axle and sound still there they will change the deferential... so i will wait and see what will happen. thanks again
Yeah, I hope the diff change helps you out man
Appreciate 0