BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12 soon...

Question Sun Reflective Technology-->M6 Convertible

I was thinking that i wanted a Darker Interior but was worried about the Heat with top Down. Can anyone verify if in fact the interior seats are cooler? And is this impregnated into the leather or is it more of a coating?

And lastly, how far does this Tech extend to...The Dash, Armrests...?

Quote:
SunReflective Technology.

The nicest thing about hot days is a cool spot in the sun. And in the BMW 1 Series Convertible there are four to choose from. Innovative SunReflective Technology reduces the surface heating of the seats even in strong direct sunlight.

Even on hot days the BMW 1 Series offers you a pleasantly cool reception. Reflective pigments in the optional leather seat covers reflect rather than absorb infrared heat rays. As a result, the leather only heats up a little even when exposed to strong sunshine. Compared to conventional leather, the surface temperature is up to 25 °C lower, depending on the intensity of the sunlight. And if you are unable to find a parking spot in the shade, your leather seats retain a pleasant temperature when the soft-top is open as well.
      11-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I haven't noticed if it's cooler. I know it's not too hot as though you feel like your butt is burning after having the seats under the sun for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
kingoyejordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black F13 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed BMW Viscous View Post
I was thinking that i wanted a Darker Interior but was worried about the Heat with top Down. Can anyone verify if in fact the interior seats are cooler? And is this impregnated into the leather or is it more of a coating?

And lastly, how far does this Tech extend to...The Dash, Armrests...?
My 06 650 vert had the black interior and it wasn't a problem in the summer at all. And the F13 actually offers ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Skunk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I found this themal image comparing the temperature between a seat with a sun-reflective coating and one without:

There is some additional information on the coating in this pdf:
http://www.tfl.com/web/files/solar_reflective.pdf

You can see on the second page there is a significant increase in the reflectivity of light in the infrared spectrum which is where half of the solar loading comes from.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Convert / 2015 M3

Have the M6 convertible in Silverstone with ventilated seats. With the FL sun, its not an issue. I would also recommend you spend the $500 and get the ventilated seats especially if you live in a warmer climate. The lighter color and ventilated seats is the way to go and is very comfortable on a warm day.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

i never knew about this! how cool!
Appreciate 0