BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 30d & 2013 640i GC

Changing Driver's Seat Position Problem

This button (see attached image) to change the driver's seat position won't work unless I move the seat forward/back first from the side button.

But on my passenger's side, the button works fine without having to move the seat forward/back first.

Is it programmed to work like that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I would check the seat control module to see if any thing is loose or if a wire is chaffed. Perhaps something got stuck under the seat (or perhaps a rear passenger’s foot) somehow has caused a loose wiring connection since you can get the easy entry switch to work if you move the driver’s seat.

The upper button (S159 easy entry button) is connected to the seat control module (S32) and is #18 & #19 in the wiring pin out for connector A93*1B on the seat control module. You can see the location of the seat control module below:
A93*1B

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-31-2021 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Thanks Q, your response is very helpful.
I will check the seat control module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I would check the seat control module to see if any thing is loose or if a wire is chaffed. Perhaps something got stuck under the seat (or perhaps a rear passenger’s foot) somehow has caused a loose wiring connection since you can get the easy entry switch to work if you move the driver’s seat.

The upper button (S159 easy entry button) is connected to the seat control module (S32) and is #18 & #19 in the wiring pin out for connector A93*1B on the seat control module. You can see the location of the seat control module below:
A93*1B

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:29 AM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
There are some preconditions for the button to function. It would be dangerous if the switch was active while the car was in motion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:38 AM   #5
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Hugo, I tested it when the car was stationary and both doors were open. And yet somehow I need to move the seat little bit from the side button before the easy entry button works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
There are some preconditions for the button to function. It would be dangerous if the switch was active while the car was in motion.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:05 AM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esthero View Post
Hugo, I tested it when the car was stationary and both doors were open. And yet somehow I need to move the seat little bit from the side button before the easy entry button works.
I did some further reading through TIS and what you’re describing sounds like an intended function with a manual override. See below. What could be happening is that the seat module is wrongly assuming that the pre-end stop position has been reached thus requiring you to override using the main seat switch block.

ISTA diagnostics has a “seat adjustment normalisation” routine that is used to relearn the adjustment parameters, essentially restoring them to factory settings. Running this routine would be my first diagnostic step. If you don’t have the software you can ask your local BMW dealer or well-equipped indie shop to do it :-) It’s in the “body > safety function” group.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Wow, thanks for the tip Hugo. I will definitely try this the next time I visit the dealer. Surprisingly, last month I got a call from the dealer and being told there's a recall for the condenser on my 2013 640i gc. So I'm just waiting for the part to come and will give them a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I did some further reading through TIS and what you’re describing sounds like an intended function with a manual override. See below. What could be happening is that the seat module is wrongly assuming that the pre-end stop position has been reached thus requiring you to override using the main seat switch block.

ISTA diagnostics has a “seat adjustment normalisation” routine that is used to relearn the adjustment parameters, essentially restoring them to factory settings. Running this routine would be my first diagnostic step. If you don’t have the software you can ask your local BMW dealer or well-equipped indie shop to do it :-) It’s in the “body > safety function” group.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:15 AM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the tip Hugo. I will definitely try this the next time I visit the dealer. Surprisingly, last month I got a call from the dealer and being told there's a recall for the condenser on my 2013 640i gc. So I'm just waiting for the part to come and will give them a visit.
Always a pleasure helping a forumite out :-) Let us know how the dealer visit goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #9
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
What is that recall about?

I also noticed that in some cases a seat would not move forward if it is in a high position, it would move down first and than forward. Not sure if that is applicable for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
What is that recall about?

I also noticed that in some cases a seat would not move forward if it is in a high position, it would move down first and than forward. Not sure if that is applicable for you.
So one of my friend was at the dealer to service his M235i and the dealer said there's an airbag recall for his car, then he offered me to give him my VIN to be checked, and they said there's a recall for the AC condenser (free of charge).

Not sure about the high position, like I said, if I press the seat button first then the upper button will works. But I will give it a try tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
maron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60&F06

Yes. The driver's seat only works with the door open.
It is controlled by the program.
It's normal
Appreciate 0