BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Downpipe coating - Swain Tech

First, I paid full retail price for the coating and no compensation for posting/review....

I was going back and forth on coating vs wrapping my downpipes (XS-Power http://xs-power.com/bmw-turbo-downpi...mp-pipes-4.htm), decided to go the coating route and then looked at all of the various coatings out there. I came across Swain Tech. I actually remember the name and coating from decades ago working on street rods and muscle cars, they have always been held in high regard. This coating isn't for looks, it is purely to keep exhaust heat in the pipes and not in the engine bay. Exactly what I was looking for on the M6 since no one is ever going to see these downpipes after they are installed. I was even contemplating buying another set of factory primary pipes (headers before the turbos) and having them coated as well, but the labor to remove/reinstall all of that is significantly more than just doing the downpipes and I didn't want to dig that far in.

https://swaintech.com/race-coatings/...aust-coatings/

Shipped them out on Jan 4th, they were delivered back to me on Jan 29th. Not a bad turn around time. $21 to ship out, Swain charged $27 to return ship.

Coating was $110 for both downpipes. Pictures are from before (still in the box...) and after. Install this spring, so I'll update in a month or so once they are on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
HeyKC101.50
      02-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Nice & clean looking - good choice!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Damn, they look fantastic.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! The coating is definitely thicker than standard "ceramic" coatings I've had in the past and is rough, like an 80 grit sand paper. Very hard and bonded to the metal. It is visually much better looking than their website pictures show.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Can't wait to hear how those pipes fit. the price on them is crazy.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
How did the install go?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

I'll be honest... I paid my local shop to do the install since I don't have a rack to make it easy. They were anticipating fit issues since thee aren't a set of the "golden" $1000 pipes... But, no problems at all other than the known O2 sensor offset vs the heat shield. And man, the sound... Insane.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #8
450rdawg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
I'll be honest... I paid my local shop to do the install since I don't have a rack to make it easy. They were anticipating fit issues since thee aren't a set of the "golden" $1000 pipes... But, no problems at all other than the known O2 sensor offset vs the heat shield. And man, the sound... Insane.
I’m looking for a deeper and a bit tone than stock. Mine has the CP but I have no idea where to go to get just a little more. I thought of just doing the down pipes but don’t know if that would be a little much for the neighbors. I leave my house at 4AM most mornings for work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:48 AM   #9
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450rdawg View Post
I’m looking for a deeper and a bit tone than stock. Mine has the CP but I have no idea where to go to get just a little more. I thought of just doing the down pipes but don’t know if that would be a little much for the neighbors. I leave my house at 4AM most mornings for work.
Downpipes would do the trick. It won't be too loud for neighbors when you're just starting it up and going to work. Like the OP I would recommend getting them coated prior to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #10
Roll_Tide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxxx View Post
Downpipes would do the trick. It won't be too loud for neighbors when you're just starting it up and going to work. Like the OP I would recommend getting them coated prior to install.
Idk man, I'd disagree. The cold start after I installed catless downpipes was wild. Luckily I have BM3 so was able to turn off cold start...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #11
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Tide View Post
Idk man, I'd disagree. The cold start after I installed catless downpipes was wild. Luckily I have BM3 so was able to turn off cold start...
Well yes. I guess it would be assumed that you would get a tune and delete the cold start.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #12
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Is there a module you can toggle on/off for cold start say using an ODB Port? Perhaps iCarly or similarly situated products?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #13
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

How about coating then also titanium wrap?

Overkill perhaps but maybe even a better heat shield to the rest of the engine compartment…

Would that be possible and whom would offer that combination?

I'm looking into catless down pipes for my f06 and still looking and learning before I take the plunge… what would be a good titanium wrapped down pipe to compare with?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #14
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
How about coating then also titanium wrap?

Overkill perhaps but maybe even a better heat shield to the rest of the engine compartment…

Would that be possible and whom would offer that combination?

I'm looking into catless down pipes for my f06 and still looking and learning before I take the plunge… what would be a good titanium wrapped down pipe to compare with?
These folks have been used and recommended by many, https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/col...z-exhaust-wrap
Appreciate 0