BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Wheel Barrels Coated in Oxidation Post-Wash

What's the secret to avoiding this? My wheel barrels get torched by the rust fallout from the rotors whenever I wash the car. Wondering what others use to get around this or at least mitigate it

07-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Couple of options here; Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper or (what I prefer) the "back & forth" method. The hyde's option is to be sprayed directly onto the rotors after washing but prior to the rust appearing. This method is okay....But personally, after I wash my wheels, I continue on with washing and drying the car. By this time the rust on the rotors has dried - purposely waited for this. From there, I pull into the driveway and go back and forth a good 20 yards maybe 6-8x with relatively hard breaking. Pull back in the garage, and then proceed to use my drying aid/spray wax to finish off the wheels and remove the rust deposits from the wheels. If you try this method, I'd recommend waiting until the rotors completely rust over. I tried doing it right after washing the wheels and it smeared up pretty bad. A non issue when I wait for it to dry.

In the mean time, grab you a lug nut brush for cleaning
https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Trim-Lu...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Couple of options here; Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper or (what I prefer) the "back & forth" method. The hyde's option is to be sprayed directly onto the rotors after washing but prior to the rust appearing. This method is okay....But personally, after I wash my wheels, I continue on with washing and drying the car. By this time the rust on the rotors has dried - purposely waited for this. From there, I pull into the driveway and go back and forth a good 20 yards maybe 6-8x with relatively hard breaking. Pull back in the garage, and then proceed to use my drying aid/spray wax to finish off the wheels and remove the rust deposits from the wheels. If you try this method, I'd recommend waiting until the rotors completely rust over. I tried doing it right after washing the wheels and it smeared up pretty bad. A non issue when I wait for it to dry.

Thanks, I'll give your method a try

I've tried a bunch of different strategies to try and mitigate the rust and nothing has really seemed to work very well. I have since wiped out the barrels with spray wax and they look fine but it just seems really cumbersome to do.

Thanks for noticing the brown rings around the lug bolts I've been meaning to get a specific wheel agitator brush but just have had a lot going on to this point, now I really have to pick one up haha
      07-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I'll give your method a try

I've tried a bunch of different strategies to try and mitigate the rust and nothing has really seemed to work very well. I have since wiped out the barrels with spray wax and they look fine but it just seems really cumbersome to do.

Thanks for noticing the brown rings around the lug bolts I've been meaning to get a specific wheel agitator brush but just have had a lot going on to this point, now I really have to pick one up haha
Calling out your lug nuts!

I agree with the back and forth, in fact I put my whole damn hand in there while washing, dry, then back and forth and wipe again... a real pain but when they are right nothing better
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post

I agree with the back and forth, in fact I put my whole damn hand in there while washing, dry, then back and forth and wipe again... a real pain but when they are right nothing better
Big time callouts on my lug bolts lol, just ordered the brush

Sounds good I guess I'll just have to deal with the back and forth clean method for now.

To the root issue with the high dust pad compound, I looked to Akebono for a solution but it appears they only carry pads for the rears on these cars. Does anyone have a good low dust and low/no squeak solution for pads that I can look at switching to down the road?
      07-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post

Quote:
Big time callouts on my lug bolts lol, just ordered the brush

Sounds good I guess I'll just have to deal with the back and forth clean method for now.

To the root issue with the high dust pad compound, I looked to Akebono for a solution but it appears they only carry pads for the rears on these cars. Does anyone have a good low dust and low/no squeak solution for pads that I can look at switching to down the road?
Hahaha just lookin' out for my guy! Agreed about when they're right, nothing is better.

To keep them looking like that, I too have a solution; Powerstop ceramic pads (z23 evolution I believe). I've been running them on the M6 for about a year with no sacrifice in performance. And I'm talking 150+mph braking and they don't even blink.

The real beauty is the lack of brake dust. With stock pads, I'd say the front produced maybe 3x as much dust as the stock rears. Now, the stock rears produce at least 2x as much dust as the fronts. It's a drastic change..And they're under $100 for the front set. A no brainer.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Hahaha just lookin' out for my guy! Agreed about when they're right, nothing is better.

To keep them looking like that, I too have a solution; Powerstop ceramic pads (z23 evolution I believe). I've been running them on the M6 for about a year with no sacrifice in performance. And I'm talking 150+mph braking and they don't even blink.

The real beauty is the lack of brake dust. With stock pads, I'd say the front produced maybe 3x as much dust as the stock rears. Now, the stock rears produce at least 2x as much dust as the fronts. It's a drastic change..And they're under $100 for the front set. A no brainer.
That’s interesting, so ceramic pads on steel rotors? If this works, might be the sorcerers stone we all have been looking for.

Anyone else with experiences of Powerstops? And should you use them front and rear, or just front and the OEMs rear?
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
That’s interesting, so ceramic pads on steel rotors? If this works, might be the sorcerers stone we all have been looking for.

Anyone else with experiences of Powerstops? And should you use them front and rear, or just front and the OEMs rear?
So they’re ceramic pads created for steel rotors only. They’re not interchangeable with CCB nor are pads created for CCB usable on steel rotors...if that makes sense.

Powerstop only makes them for the front for our cars. Akebono sells a rear set which I’ll use when I swap rotors here soon. I ran Akebono on my CLS AMG for years with no issues as well. Some people do front only, but I will be going all 4 corners.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
That's interesting, so ceramic pads on steel rotors? If this works, might be the sorcerers stone we all have been looking for.

So they're ceramic pads created for steel rotors only. They're not interchangeable with CCB nor are pads created for CCB usable on steel rotors...if that makes sense.

Powerstop only makes them for the front for our cars. Akebono sells a rear set which I'll use when I swap rotors here soon. I ran Akebono on my CLS AMG for years with no issues as well. Some people do front only, but I will be going all 4 corners.
This is great to hear. My Power Stop kit was delivered yesterday, I'll put them on soon.
Appreciate 2
Flo1989342.00
      07-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
So they’re ceramic pads created for steel rotors only. They’re not interchangeable with CCB nor are pads created for CCB usable on steel rotors...if that makes sense.

Powerstop only makes them for the front for our cars. Akebono sells a rear set which I’ll use when I swap rotors here soon. I ran Akebono on my CLS AMG for years with no issues as well. Some people do front only, but I will be going all 4 corners.

This is awesome -- thanks for the recommendation on this. Checking their website they do make rear pads for our cars actually so I just ordered these front and rear for ~$110 from Summit which was an easy decision. Was thinking of the Z26 pads but 98% of the time I brake early and softly, so I figured the rubberized shims would serve the purpose better than the stainless.
      07-08-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is awesome -- thanks for the recommendation on this. Checking their website they do make rear pads for our cars actually so I just ordered these front and rear for ~$110 from Summit which was an easy decision. Was thinking of the Z26 pads but 98% of the time I brake early and softly, so I figured the rubberized shims would serve the purpose better than the stainless.
Ah, awesome! They didn’t a year ago so glad to hear that’s changed.

Cheers to virtually dust free braking, fellas!
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Don't mean to threadjack LJohnson32, but on the subject of cleaning brakes, how do you guys give the inner part of the rotors a good clean?

I washed my wheels yesterday but wasn't able to get the inner portion of mine cleaned well as it seems to have quite a bit of caked on dust. See pic.

But damn, don't these wheels look so good when they're clean!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Don't mean to threadjack LJohnson32, but on the subject of cleaning brakes, how do you guys give the inner part of the rotors a good clean?

I washed my wheels yesterday but wasn't able to get the inner portion of mine cleaned well as it seems to have quite a bit of caked on dust. See pic.

But damn, don't these wheels look so good when they're clean!
Hey no worries! Good all-inclusive brake dust elimination thread going here lol

As far as the part you're referring to, mine have been relatively clean from the jump fortunately. I would imagine if it is indeed caked on dust, getting a nice wheel cleaner product on there (I use Griot's Wheel Cleaner) and then allowing it to work for a few minutes before going in with a stiffer bristle brush to dislodge the buildup. You could probably afford to go with a more aggressive/stiffer brush than your typical wheel cleaner agitator brush since there is no real 'finish' on that piece but I'd still stay away from a wire brush just in case.

For maximum effect to get that area clean, I'd recommend popping the wheels off for easy access
      07-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Good point. I tried spraying the cleaner on that bit and let it sit but I didn't agitate it too much with a bristle brush. I've had really good luck getting dust and grime off with the wheel and tire cleaner from Car Guys on all the other parts of the wheel/ tire (including lugs lol).

Perhaps it's time to use a brush and really get in there!
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Good point. I tried spraying the cleaner on that bit and let it sit but I didn't agitate it too much with a bristle brush. I've had really good luck getting dust and grime off with the wheel and tire cleaner from Car Guys on all the other parts of the wheel/ tire (including lugs lol).

Perhaps it's time to use a brush and really get in there!
Absolutely, otherwise you get called out about your lug bolts on your own thread like me
      07-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #16
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
The hat is an aluminum alloy and the "whitish" deposit is the result of corrosion. You will need to apply some sort of barrier coating to prevent that corrosion ( or move to somewhere that they do not have to salt the roads ) Here in Texas we are fortunate that we do not have to deal with that. BTW, cleaning it just accelerates the corrosion unless you protect the freshly exposed aluminum alloy.
Appreciate 0