BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #1
TTG5150
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640i

2014 BMW 640i Convertible - Cup Holder?

So I am curious if anyone here bought a separate cup holder instead of using the the cup holder that the car comes with at the top of the console - I find it super annoying using the stock cup holder because when I have a bottle of water in it, the bottle gets in the way of the radio knob and the heat/ac controls - was wondering if anyone here purchased an additional cup holder and mounted it somewhere else to solve the problem. If so, please send the link so I can buy 1 for the driver side and 1 for the passenger side! Amen.

Thanks!

TTG
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
TTG5150
Enlisted Member
Rep

alrighty then! hahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG5150 View Post
...I find it super annoying using the stock cup holder because when I have a bottle of water in it, the bottle gets in the way of the radio knob and the heat/ac controls -
I don't find it annoying...but I'm also not a big drinker of drinks inside the cabin. The times that I do...like on a long trip...I control the VOL by using the MFL buttons on the steering wheel. And I use the AUTO setting for the AC so I don't have a need to make adjustments (I'm in the set it and forget it camp).

But if I did have a bottle of water (with a screw off cap) and I didn't want to set it in the center dash cup holder unit...I would probably stick it in the door panel pocket (if the bottle is narrow enough or pliable enough).

See circled area in pic below:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I don't find it annoying...but I'm also not a big drinker of drinks inside the cabin. The times that I do...like on a long trip...I control the VOL by using the MFL buttons on the steering wheel. And I use the AUTO setting for the AC so I don't have a need to make adjustments (I'm in the set it and forget it camp).

But if I did have a bottle of water (with a screw off cap) and I didn't want to set it in the center dash cup holder unit...I would probably stick it in the door panel pocket (if the bottle is narrow enough or pliable enough).

With you on this. I do not interact with the climate and radio stack very much at all. The cupholder design in the 6er is woeful and as such I very rarely put liquids there. Since they don’t hold anything worth a damn imagine the potential damage if your water or other beverage tips over under acceleration and spills down the console. Plenty of electronics there to get damaged...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:19 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

What is that interior? I have never seen an individual interior where the console did not match the seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:55 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
What is that interior? I have never seen an individual interior where the console did not match the seats.
That was a pic of an Individual interior...Opal White & Amaro Brown. And the headliner in this interior combo is also the Amaro Brown color in the suede like Alcantara (spelling??)

The pic was an internet screen capture...I was just looking for an image that showed the front door pockets because it was too cold to go out into the garage and take a pic of mine. And a lighter interior also shows the pockets better than the black interior (which I have).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-07-2021 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 05:25 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That was a pic of an Individual interior...Opal White & Amaro Brown. And the headliner in this interior combo is also the Amaro Brown color in the suede like Alcantara (spelling??)

The pic was an internet screen capture...I was just looking for an image that showed the front door pockets because it was too cold to go out into the garage and take a pic of mine. And a lighter interior also shows the pockets better than the black interior (which I have).

I like that look, but maybe it was not an F12 option because I have never seen one like that. Every individual interior I have ever seen has a center console that matches the seats, not a contrasting color. And I also have never seen one where the dash is not black.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

It could be an f06 option...since that is what in the video...and that would also mean it could have been offered for around the 2013 model year. I do see the smaller iDrive controller knob.

Another oddity in that video is...the first frame seen in the video before it starts shows an Individual steering wheel (has the white ring around the circumference & the word INDIVIDUAL on the bottom spoke). But when the video rolls and you see the interior...the steering wheel is the regular 3 spoke sport steering wheel with the chrome trim around the bottom of the air bag...wonder how that happened?

Found other two toned interiors...the common theme appears to be a black dash, door tops, & console w/contrasting leather for the seating surfaces, door handles, & door panels. The 2nd - 4th pics are a 2018 ‘vert. I’m digging that interior with the black carpet, too. Only thing missing on either interior below is the contrast stitching..which would have been cherry for either the white/black or brown/black interiors:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-07-2021 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Those last three you posted area all standard interiors, not Individual. All interiors are two-tone, except a black interior. Those three all have the black center console, which is the clue to a standard interior. Mine is like the white/black picture, except I have white contrast stitching and I have red sycamore wood (an Individual option) instead of carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
TTG5150
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow man, that Opal White & Amaro Brown is stunning!
different strokes for different folks I guess - a bit of health nut, I like to have a large water bottle with me...I ordered one of those plastic bottle holders that wedge b/w the seat and the console for now.

thanks fellas!
Appreciate 0