BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Im also on Apple Music subscription, what I find very enjoyable is the improved map and nav across apps the available nav apps, plus the call functions and chat via Siri.

Another surprise is the red light camera locations that are shown on the native Apple Maps while on a route!

Was messing with the waze app today, Weatherology and NPR one. Waze for some reason felt too much like a novelty for me... Weatherology is awesome - basically localized weather forecasts with your choice of voice and background music!
Nice, I didn’t realize the Apple
Maps had red light cameras marked now. Living in Florida kind of makes ya a weather nerd just because stuff gets crazy last minute add to that hurricanes and traffic multiplied by speed traps and red light cameras equals a much needed integrated solution.
This pic shows an in route examples showing the red light camera indicator on Apple Maps and CarPlay
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #24
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
This pic shows an in route examples showing the red light camera indicator on Apple Maps and CarPlay
Yeah that is slick. Very clean and visible. I wonder if there is a way to get this in the heads up display. This has got my curiosity peaked and will definitely dig deaper to figure out how data is muxed to the HUD.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #25
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Waze CarPlay nav in dashboard view is live!

Check it out:

New nav experience on CarPlay!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/06...ard-goes-live/
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
Logical209.50
      12-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Installed this one after amazon prime day. $275 called carlinkit
It works pretty nicely. Like you said, gives the car new life!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Logical209.50
      12-15-2020, 11:59 PM   #27
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
Interesting! Wondering if this is the whitelabel version of what prime mmi is? Is there a website for that brand? Curious to learn more...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:10 AM   #28
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
Interesting! Wondering if this is the whitelabel version of what prime mmi is? Is there a website for that brand? Curious to learn more...
I think so.
Here is the amazon link.
It would be interesting to compare side by side.

Carlinkit Wireless Carplay Kit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Series NBT System,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YC37KYF...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #29
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy the CarPlay that much? When I change songs the first few seconds are cut off and all the audio is routed through the car's aux input and you can definitely tell in a bad way. Especially when you do things like make IG videos while playing music. Mine is constantly rebooting. It got so bad that I don't even use it anymore. I just stick to the normal idrive. I contacted bimmertech about it and they sent me an update file but it didn't fix a single problem(even though I like that I can control the CarPlay with my steering wheel now). If I could return it I would. At $200-$300 I think it's a solid product for what you're getting but if you're thinking about purchasing from a store like bimmertech where they're charging more than double then I highly suggest you save your money and do a full ID5/6 retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #30
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep

Well one thing in noticing is the audio quality is sub par. I can't take it. I love the B+O system.
So my solution is to keep the USB plugged up, run my audio thru that, but the CarPlay is still wireless for visuals/maps.
Mine doesn't reboot but 15% of the time it doesn't connect.

I still enjoy it because of the maps and Siri and album arts.
Again I bought the cheap one and I'd be interested to see if the official Bimmertech module is any better. But I'm still considering this as a Win
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #31
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On the audio quality note as for using the bimmertech mmi prime unit I do not notice any sound degrade or quality issues.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      12-25-2020, 01:11 AM   #32
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

I think most problems come from the wireless connection. They exist even on stock BMW CarPlay implantation. I have a wired CarPlay and it is 100% rock-solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 03:09 AM   #33
idiskjock
Private
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Msparta Does any navigation information show on the heads up display (HID) on the windshield when using the CarPlay navigation? Or do you have to use the iDrive Navigation for it to display directions on the HID?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #34
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiskjock View Post
Msparta Does any navigation information show on the heads up display (HID) on the windshield when using the CarPlay navigation? Or do you have to use the iDrive Navigation for it to display directions on the HID?
This is a good question! I have not done any recent destinations using CarPlay map but I will do so today and revert back. I am almost 90% sure it's not hud centric but I'll report back later!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #35
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Confirming back, the native CarPlay experience on the retrofit based on mmi prime will not share nav elements to your HUD - I can't say that factory preset version on the Evo version that supports it won't or will...

I will add that audio from the nav and Siri are all there nonetheless the overall experience is excellent in my opinion. As in not having CarPlay to now having it is night and day.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #36
idiskjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Confirming back, the native CarPlay experience on the retrofit based on mmi prime will not share nav elements to your HUD - I can't say that factory preset version on the Evo version that supports it won't or will...

I will add that audio from the nav and Siri are all there nonetheless the overall experience is excellent in my opinion. As in not having CarPlay to now having it is night and day.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the update. Did you consider the retrofitmybmw which basically you are just ordering a pre-programed head unit that you just swap out? Updating it to be ID6 and have the feel of newer bmw interface with carplay? These are about $1200
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #37
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the update. Did you consider the retrofitmybmw which basically you are just ordering a pre-programed head unit that you just swap out? Updating it to be ID6 and have the feel of newer bmw interface with carplay? These are about $1200
Bimmertech offers it too, I was considering it however I felt the remote code session was going to be a drag since I have a Mac...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #38
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

Hope this helps.
I just picked up a 2021 X1 for my wife a few days ago and it has HUD and CarPlay , I can confirm that the NAV from Waze via CarPlay does not appear in the HUD only the BMW NAV ,
The one thing is nice is you have the option to use it with I-drive or touchscreen
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #39
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I just picked up a 2021 X1 for my wife a few days ago and it has HUD and CarPlay , I can confirm that the NAV from Waze via CarPlay does not appear in the HUD only the BMW NAV ,
The one thing is nice is you have the option to use it with I-drive or touchscreen
I thought they said from Android auto, NAV from CarPlay would project to HUD
      12-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Sorry, I will confirm this ,I have to set a route and recheck to see if it pops up in HUD
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #41
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Sorry, I will confirm this ,I have to set a route and recheck to see if it pops up in HUD
Please check. It is almost enough of a reason to buy a new BMW
      01-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #42
idiskjock
Private
Rep

how do you guys have your cell phones mounted on the dash? I know with having CarPlay there isn't a need, but its still nice to have my phone available on the dash
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #43
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
how do you guys have your cell phones mounted on the dash? I know with having CarPlay there isn't a need, but its still nice to have my phone available on the dash
This is a good question and topic for our rigs!

I have yet to find a decent enough oem'ish mount - in particular I have an iPhone 12 Pro and would opt to have a magnetic MagSafe setup somehow, someway...

I tend to not like having the phone mounted anywhere near the dash and prefer it laying where our cup holders are... when you have CarPlay for example on the idrive screen the objective is to not have to mess with the phone much - same applies for Android car... messaging, Siri, calls, nav, music and so on all streamlined into the CarPlay experience - usually I mess with the phone more for searches and such and find it annoying and distracting to have to do it often...

I'm interested in seeing how others have adopted or implemented their setups!

Bring it!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:40 PM   #44
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

This does not show up on your heads up display ..also the carlinkit unit is basically the same unit as the bimmerlink.. the only difference is the software and if you go to the f30 section on the forum there's a big thread about these mmi units , also they have the upgraded software that makes the mmi run more efficient..also gives u auto connect and oem call capability.so you don't have to run your phone calls thru the mmi unit
Appreciate 0