BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #1
WadaPhaq
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Question Is buying a 2014 m6 gc with 70k miles a bad idea? Can someone talk me out of it?

Hello all, I'm new to this so bear with me and thank you in advance for reading my post!

So today I test-drove a F06 m6 and it was wonderful! It’s been my favorite 4d BMW for a long time, and I am thrilled to even think I have a chance to own it. After test-driving it, I love it even more, it’s just superb! I was grinning like a dumbass the whole ride, that when I know I want this car!

Some basic info about the car, it has 70k miles, oil changes every 5000-8000 miles, loaded with options besides the competition package. The dealer has no idea about the previous owner of the car and just today during the test drive I found out the car has no mufflers. The engine bay looks extremely clean compared to the rest of the car, all the rubber parts look new as well.

However, I heard some horror stories about the car, s63tu rod bearing issue, rubber linings, and rear diff leaks. And I am genuinely scared about the repair costs. The car is priced below my budget and I have some spare money to spend on the car. Should I get an extended warranty? Or should I skip it and replace the rod bearing and do other engine-related maintenance instead? (Roughly 3-4K left for the repairs, after some research probably rod bearing replacement by MRF?)

Is this a really bad idea? Can someone tell me more about m6? Can someone talk me out of this?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:23 AM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Haha, wrong forum if you are expecting someone to talk you out of the purchase 😂 This forum is full of M6 enthusiasts…

Find a reliable independent mechanic who can do a pre-purchase inspection. 5-8k miles ol change interval is a bit long to my liking, but not a show stopper as such, it depends how the car has been driven and where. If the appr. 1200 miles oil change has not been done, that would be a hard walk-away reason for me. Rod bearing issues were for the V10 engine, not so much for the S63… I think there are some resources like carfax (assuming you are in the US) that may also help.

What’s more or less given is that if anything fundamental breaks it will likely be expensive. A 70k miles high performance car is never going to be like what it comes to maintenance requirements, but not necessarily a massive problem. I have no idea what a market price for a 9 years old M6 should be in your area, but forget whether it’s under your budget or not, consider whether it’s priced to market, only after that whether it’s with budget. But these cars are easy to fall in love with, I had 2 F-series (2014 F13 and 2017 F06) and loved them to bits.

Good luck, and take a cold shower to reduce the M6 fewer so you can make as sensible as possible decision 🤣😇
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Everything above is perfect - independent mechanic would be step 1!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 02:52 AM   #4
WadaPhaq
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Haha, wrong forum if you are expecting someone to talk you out of the purchase 😂 This forum is full of M6 enthusiasts…

Find a reliable independent mechanic who can do a pre-purchase inspection. 5-8k miles ol change interval is a bit long to my liking, but not a show stopper as such, it depends how the car has been driven and where. If the appr. 1200 miles oil change has not been done, that would be a hard walk-away reason for me. Rod bearing issues were for the V10 engine, not so much for the S63… I think there are some resources like carfax (assuming you are in the US) that may also help.

What’s more or less given is that if anything fundamental breaks it will likely be expensive. A 70k miles high performance car is never going to be like what it comes to maintenance requirements, but not necessarily a massive problem. I have no idea what a market price for a 9 years old M6 should be in your area, but forget whether it’s under your budget or not, consider whether it’s priced to market, only after that whether it’s with budget. But these cars are easy to fall in love with, I had 2 F-series (2014 F13 and 2017 F06) and loved them to bits.

Good luck, and take a cold shower to reduce the M6 fewer so you can make as sensible as possible decision 🤣😇

Thank you for your kind reply! Can you specify the 1200 miles oil change part? I heard about the rod bearing issue from other bimmer drivers I know in real life with cars that also have s63 engines, they painted some pretty grime future about the engine.

I am buying from an internet-based dealer similar to Carmax so they offer 7 days/200 miles return for any reason. The people there told me to take the car to PPI after I purchased it, seems a bit shady but I guess with their bulletproof return policy it's not so bad... I also planning on doing an oil analysis if I get the car to see about the rod bearing and Malek from MRF quoted me 4985 for the rod bearing job.

You will be correct about the falling in love part! It's been days since I test-drove it and I still think about it when I drive my old beater, honestly seems like I'm in the later stages of the m6 fever lol.

welp budget-wise I have 40k otd as budget and the m6 is 37k. It's priced below other m6s and it's the only reason I'm hesitant about buying it, if not because of my last shred of self-control and some suspension about the low price, I would sign the deal right there after the test drive lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 02:53 AM   #5
WadaPhaq
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Everything above is perfect - independent mechanic would be step 1!
thank you! Any recommendations on mechanics in California?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
My honest and very experienced advice is to absolutely buy the car but only if you feel like it is priced in a manner that will permit you to absorb the cost of replacing the engine and or immediately having the engine rebuilt by someone like Raza @rkautowerks. If you plan on toying with the voodoo of tuning and bolt on’s do your future self a tremendous favor and get the forged rods and if playing with the sacred fire of 1000+ HP get the forged pistons.

I absolutely and thoroughly enjoy my car and will stop just shy of the word love, as I reserve that for the people in my life, when it comes to the joy I get when driving this thing. So much so that I am willing to buy two engines for it.

Beyond that, find a superb bmw indy shop within an hour to hour and a half from your home. You want folks that can and will be trusted advisors in your ownership experience. Yes be ready for rear diff, injectors, plugs, coils and turbo coolant lines etc.

You will find an equally enthusiastic, supportive and knowledgeable bunch of owners over in the F10 M5 forum as well. Spend some time in the sub forums reading. Perhaps call the folks at Sales@RKautowerks and ask them if they have worked with an Indy shop in your area. Chat with them about getting the fundamental engine stuff done upfront.

Wishing you much success on your ownership experience.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 05:09 PM   #7
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
My honest and very experienced advice is to absolutely buy the car but only if you feel like it is priced in a manner that will permit you to absorb the cost of replacing the engine and or immediately having the engine rebuilt by someone like Raza @rkautowerks. If you plan on toying with the voodoo of tuning and bolt on’s do your future self a tremendous favor and get the forged rods and if playing with the sacred fire of 1000+ HP get the forged pistons.

I absolutely and thoroughly enjoy my car and will stop just shy of the word love, as I reserve that for the people in my life, when it comes to the joy I get when driving this thing. So much so that I am willing to buy two engines for it.

Beyond that, find a superb bmw indy shop within an hour to hour and a half from your home. You want folks that can and will be trusted advisors in your ownership experience. Yes be ready for rear diff, injectors, plugs, coils and turbo coolant lines etc.

You will find an equally enthusiastic, supportive and knowledgeable bunch of owners over in the F10 M5 forum as well. Spend some time in the sub forums reading. Perhaps call the folks at Sales@RKautowerks and ask them if they have worked with an Indy shop in your area. Chat with them about getting the fundamental engine stuff done upfront.

Wishing you much success on your ownership experience.

Rk needs to start paying you 😆
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2023, 08:26 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
Rk needs to start paying you 😆
It would be my dream job. I enjoy cars, more specifically I really enjoy these cars and I withou a doubt I have a genuine appreciation for innovators in any industry. But for the time being I’ll stick to my career in cybersecurity supporting our nations defense.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2023, 03:20 AM   #9
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadaPhaq View Post
Hello all, I'm new to this so bear with me and thank you in advance for reading my post!

So today I test-drove a F06 m6 and it was wonderful! It’s been my favorite 4d BMW for a long time, and I am thrilled to even think I have a chance to own it. After test-driving it, I love it even more, it’s just superb! I was grinning like a dumbass the whole ride, that when I know I want this car!

Some basic info about the car, it has 70k miles, oil changes every 5000-8000 miles, loaded with options besides the competition package. The dealer has no idea about the previous owner of the car and just today during the test drive I found out the car has no mufflers. The engine bay looks extremely clean compared to the rest of the car, all the rubber parts look new as well.

However, I heard some horror stories about the car, s63tu rod bearing issue, rubber linings, and rear diff leaks. And I am genuinely scared about the repair costs. The car is priced below my budget and I have some spare money to spend on the car. Should I get an extended warranty? Or should I skip it and replace the rod bearing and do other engine-related maintenance instead? (Roughly 3-4K left for the repairs, after some research probably rod bearing replacement by MRF?)

Is this a really bad idea? Can someone tell me more about m6? Can someone talk me out of this?

Can you afford $1500-2000 for tires, 2k+ brake job, possible engine rebuilds 10k-20k?
Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if you're trying to buy a 70k mile m6 you better have $$$ in the bank.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 04:12 AM   #10
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

I will say the tires brakes etc arent just M6 specific, its the engine thats the real issue - I have no idea why some have issues and some dont. I passed on an extended warranty, and 4 years later have only replaced brakes and tires - while changing the oil every 2500 - on the DOT.

Was actually thinking about this yesterday, does anyone know the cost to change the rods BEFORE any issues occur? Or for that matter any other engine parts that seem to be the issue?

Would rather spend 1k-2k now and put this to bed, unless of course the price is the same regardless.

Otherwise, I love this car - to this day I dont see a car on the road that looks better to me - and I look all the time!
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2023, 04:37 AM   #11
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I will say the tires brakes etc arent just M6 specific, its the engine thats the real issue - I have no idea why some have issues and some dont. I passed on an extended warranty, and 4 years later have only replaced brakes and tires - while changing the oil every 2500 - on the DOT.

Was actually thinking about this yesterday, does anyone know the cost to change the rods BEFORE any issues occur? Or for that matter any other engine parts that seem to be the issue?

Would rather spend 1k-2k now and put this to bed, unless of course the price is the same regardless.

Otherwise, I love this car - to this day I dont see a car on the road that looks better to me - and I look all the time!

The problem is, at least in my research, doesn't seem to be pint point solution. We don't know if it's the bearings themselves, bad oil pumps, injectors, cam shafts etc. I'm in the same boat as you, I would just like to pay and have it out the way for good
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00
      07-14-2023, 07:38 PM   #12
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You can get rods from 5150autosport for about 3k, rod bearings I have not priced out it suspect about 1000 nor have I looked at the cost of the oil pump. The oil pump can be rebuilt but not sure if the cost or you could buy a new F90 oil pump, figure about 1100 dollars. Full labor for an engine swap is about 6k and given the fact that the engine has to come out for all of this the 6k is a pretty solid number. You may have additional costs due to the rebuild process on your motor. If you think you are going to be a long term owner of these limited production cars I’d suggest just going for a drop in rebuild while ya have a viable core to exchange. You are looking at about 13 to 14 for a rebuild with forged rods.
The rods should be more than great for sub1000 HP engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #13
PARANOlD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Sapphire Black

Did I miss the price point or did you just not list it? How much do they want for the 70k M6?
Appreciate 0