BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Pre-Purchase Inspection tips

I'm looking for a used M6 GC at the moment, and plan to get a PPI done on any candidate since the 2016ish year I'm looking at puts it right on the end of the manufacturer's warranty.

Are there any specific things I should be having them look for, particular to the M6? For instance, is there any way of getting the logs on oil consumption from the computer to see if it's one of the motors that likes to guzzle oil? Or can you retrieve launch counts or overrev counts to gauge abuse?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Extend the warranty and go in peace, Lol. You can get a PPI done but I don't know how much they are going to be able to tell you at the dealer in regards to launches and and over revs but you can call BMW NA and ask about what they can do and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Check the car fax for all services when new like the 1000 mile oil change, and call Lemon squad I used them for ny ppi and they were great
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
EnchiladaOne
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
I'm looking for a used M6 GC at the moment, and plan to get a PPI done on any candidate since the 2016ish year I'm looking at puts it right on the end of the manufacturer's warranty.

Are there any specific things I should be having them look for, particular to the M6? For instance, is there any way of getting the logs on oil consumption from the computer to see if it's one of the motors that likes to guzzle oil? Or can you retrieve launch counts or overrev counts to gauge abuse?
I just purchased mine not too long ago and ran with a PPI. Noticed the previous owner neglected to do any of the services around 60k miles and didn't have any maintenance records which makes me a bit nervous. Normally I do PPIs at reputable independent shops and I have a trusted one in the Pacific Northwest. Did you end up with the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I had a PPI done on one that was too far from me to be able to check out in person and it had paint issues that were more significant than the dealer (BMW) had declared and shown in the photos, albeit it was mechanically sound. I ended up buying a CPO one from a local BMW dealer that I could see in person and they had all the maintenance records.
Appreciate 0