BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Launch Control in a 650 COUPE

Well, I couldn't help myself... I decided to try this LC malarkey for myself. I happened to be in the country on the weekend so was quite safe , big, wide, empty straight roads... so if it went pear shaped.... there was little chance of anything more than my red face …

what fun!!! A few repeat attempts to see how accurate the claimed 0-100klms in 4.2 secs actually proved fairly accurate. What was more impressive to me was the continued thrust from 100Klms to serious license cancelling speeds!!! 200klms comes up very very quickly. Does anyone else notice this with their 650's? ie they can do an impressive 0-100klms sprints in an impressive time but its their onward thrust that's far more intoxicating to me. I've not have any modifications done to my car. Its completely standard. Suffice to say its plenty powerful for me.
Also I would say flicking into sport+ mode while cruising and jumping on throttle produces the same volcanic thrust.

I assume LC puts a fair amount of strain on the drive train so wont really be making a habit of driving the car like this. I wanted to see LC for myself in a real world application.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

I know that thrust feeling. I just went Bm3 Stage 2 and every time the car shifts it just keeps pulling harder.

edit: Anyone know how to enable Launch Control on a 2013?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
I know that thrust feeling. I just went Bm3 Stage 2 and every time the car shifts it just keeps pulling harder.

It should already be active if you have an Msport, but you can code it with bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
It should already be active if you have an Msport, but you can code it with bimmercode.
I've read that it was only active on 2014+ models? Luckily I have both Msport and Bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:

it should be they same as my 2015 car yes?..??

ie
select sport + mode
push the gear selector over into manual mode
come to a stop or have the car stationary
push the brake very firmly
and push accelerator pedal all the way down while pushing down on the brake
a Launch control 'active' message will come up on the message centre

then when you are ready release the brake and keep your foot planted all the way down on the accelerator for as long as you dare..... its terrific!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
You’ve probably figured it out by now if you have it or not...but for those that question if they do...there’s a real easy way to find out if you have it or not.

Since the iDrive’s owners manual is specific to your car...just go to VEHICLE INFO —-> OWNERS MANUAL —-> then start to type L A U N C H into the keyword box. If your car has this feature...the owners manual will have instructions. If you don’t have it....launch control won’t be mentioned in your iDrive owners manual.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
SheriGoddart33
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You’ve probably figured it out by now if you have it or not...but for those that question if they do...there’s a real easy way to find out if you have it or not.

Since the iDrive’s owners manual is specific to your car...just go to VEHICLE INFO —-> OWNERS MANUAL —-> then start to type L A U N C H into the keyword box. If your car has this feature...the owners manual will have instructions. If you don’t have it....launch control won’t be mentioned in your iDrive owners manual.
Thank you very much, found on my car, emotions 2 times more!
Appreciate 0