BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Potential purchase & cost to own/reliability

Hello all,

First time on this section but multiple time 335 owner and now driving an X4M Competition.

I'm trading it in in the next two weeks due to wanting to drop car payments lower and I can make 6k on it (it was a lease with only first month and fees down)

I've found a full my loaded 650i gran coupe fully loaded that I love. Only issue is it was in an accident a few years ago, it's a private party sale, and it has 76k on the odometer. My plan is to finance for 5 years and drive 12k a year and sell it at then end. How concerned should I be about reliability, cost to own, etc? Tires and brakes were done recently. Finally, how is it to own? Any quirks, gremlins, etc?

Thanks
Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Firstly, you didn’t mention what year it is. The early years had some real poopers with the V8.
Personally, I would avoid the V8 all together and look for a 640i.
Appreciate 2
Frupal785.00
      10-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
Firstly, you didn't mention what year it is. The early years had some real poopers with the V8.
Personally, I would avoid the V8 all together and look for a 640i.
It's a 2015. Not sure if that classifies as an older or newer one. I wasn't really looking for this it's pretty much this one off car or I'll just lease a 3 series or something
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
The 2015 has the N63TU engine which had some of the N63 engine problems taken care of and is less problematic. Never the less, keep in mind that many parts (other than the drive-train are unique to the 6 series and will probably demand a premium for replacement parts as time goes on.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:23 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliartis View Post
It's a 2015. Not sure if that classifies as an older or newer one. I wasn't really looking for this it's pretty much this one off car or I'll just lease a 3 series or something
I have a 2015 and it has had zero issues and uses no oil, although mine only has abut 46,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Same here... 2015 with no issues , uses no oil, 47,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #7
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
Same here... 2015 with no issues , uses no oil, 47,000 miles
Does anyone recommend an extended warranty company? My main concern is something catastrophic. A couple hundred here or there isn't my real concern. Also this would be a private party purchase. Should I be wary of that vs a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone recommend an extended warranty company? My main concern is something catastrophic. A couple hundred here or there isn't my real concern. Also this would be a private party purchase. Should I be wary of that vs a dealership?
I'm on the side of I never buy warranties ever for anything. The private party vs. dealership is no issue for me. A dealer car was once owned by a private party, and most private parties at this level of car got their car serviced at the dealership. You can get a great or bad car either place. Look at the car and look at the person selling it to you. It's not hard to tell a car that was cared for from one that wasn't. A person who is fastidious about their paint or keeping the trunk vacuumed is not going to go 15,000 miles between oil changes. Those things go hand in hand. When I see car ads where the person did not even remove their personal effects or trash before taking pictures I will not buy that car. I assume that anybody that lazy about one thing is lazy about everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #9
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
I'm on the side of I never buy warranties ever for anything. The private party vs. dealership is no issue for me. A dealer car was once owned by a private party, and most private parties at this level of car got their car serviced at the dealership. You can get a great or bad car either place. Look at the car and look at the person selling it to you. It's not hard to tell a car that was cared for from one that wasn't. A person who is fastidious about their paint or keeping the trunk vacuumed is not going to go 15,000 miles between oil changes. Those things go hand in hand. When I see car ads where the person did not even remove their personal effects or trash before taking pictures I will not buy that car. I assume that anybody that lazy about one thing is lazy about everything.
You make some good points. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller still about some questions. I got an extended warranty quoted at $124 a month over 36 months, which would cover almost everything for 5 years or 100,000 miles from when I take delivery, so not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You make some good points. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller still about some questions. I got an extended warranty quoted at $124 a month over 36 months, which would cover almost everything for 5 years or 100,000 miles from when I take delivery, so not too bad.
Well, I'm going to go look at it Saturday, so we'll see what happens. You can see where he it a curb with the front bumper and scraped it and there are some large rock chips. I'd probably have to get the front bumper repainted. I'd ask for an extra 1k off to cover do you think that would get it done right? Rest of the car looks good so far. I'm still leaning towards the warranty not so much for the small stuff but in case something blows as I'll be driving it into the 100,000mi territory
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, I'm going to go look at it Saturday, so we'll see what happens. You can see where he it a curb with the front bumper and scraped it and there are some large rock chips. I'd probably have to get the front bumper repainted. I'd ask for an extra 1k off to cover do you think that would get it done right? Rest of the car looks good so far. I'm still leaning towards the warranty not so much for the small stuff but in case something blows as I'll be driving it into the 100,000mi territory
It depends on how much repair work is required, but I'm sure you can get it painted in Morgantown for $1,000.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Try Patriot warranty, they were one of the few companies willing to cover my 13 M6 when I got it with only 42k mi. I personally would look for one with less mileage though, 30-50k
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

my 2015 LCI 650 coupe has never been a problem. i did have to replace the spark plugs earlier this year when I got a 'reduced performance' re a misfire that occurred. ironically plugs were fouled from not driving the car enough.... mine never needs oil at all between annual services, it doesn't have many klms though 43k klms I'm not sure what that is in miles.
so long as the car checks out in a PPI done by a reputable outfit you should be fine with the later N63TU engines. I would say i always use the highest octane fuel here in Australia that's BP or Shell 98 RON. Never use fuel with ethanol or lower grades if you can help it. I've spoken to many mechanical people who suggest poor quality fuels, high ethanol content fuels and low oct are just not good for these engines, they really don't like it.
good luck hope you find the 6 series you like, they are fabulous looking and preforming cars!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #14
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
my 2015 LCI 650 coupe has never been a problem. i did have to replace the spark plugs earlier this year when I got a 'reduced performance' re a misfire that occurred. ironically plugs were fouled from not driving the car enough.... mine never needs oil at all between annual services, it doesn't have many klms though 43k klms I'm not sure what that is in miles.
so long as the car checks out in a PPI done by a reputable outfit you should be fine with the later N63TU engines. I would say i always use the highest octane fuel here in Australia that's BP or Shell 98 RON. Never use fuel with ethanol or lower grades if you can help it. I've spoken to many mechanical people who suggest poor quality fuels, high ethanol content fuels and low oct are just not good for these engines, they really don't like it.
good luck hope you find the 6 series you like, they are fabulous looking and preforming cars!
Thanks everyone. Actually I have to change my profile. I'm in Charleston, SC now. I'm going up to look at the car Saturday. 5 hrs each way, ugh. If I like it I'll have an inspection done by the BMW dealership. They asked if I want a compression test. It's like $400, so it's not cheap, but may seem worth the price. Thoughts? Also, any thoughts on this interior, some times I love it and others it's too much. I guess I'll know for sure Saturday! Exterior is silver.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:33 PM   #15
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Actually I have to change my profile. I'm in Charleston, SC now. I'm going up to look at the car Saturday. 5 hrs each way, ugh. If I like it I'll have an inspection done by the BMW dealership. They asked if I want a compression test. It's like $400, so it's not cheap, but may seem worth the price. Thoughts? Also, any thoughts on this interior, some times I love it and others it's too much. I guess I'll know for sure Saturday! Exterior is silver.

I would drive the car and see if anything seems amiss. If not, I would not spend $400 for a compression test.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      10-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #16
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Try Patriot warranty, they were one of the few companies willing to cover my 13 M6 when I got it with only 42k mi. I personally would look for one with less mileage though, 30-50k
Have you ever filed a claim with Patriot and if so, how was the experience? They quoted me a pretty good rate on my 6, but its pretty worthlessi f they dont pay claims. thx
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #17
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

That's a full leather individual interior so not sure if yours would have that if so it's a nice spec. I wouldn't pay $400 for a compression test.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #18
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
That's a full leather individual interior so not sure if yours would have that if so it's a nice spec. I wouldn't pay $400 for a compression test.
I appreciate the comments on the compression test. I'm not thinking I need it especially if I'm paying for an aftermarket warranty.

And yes it is that interior, this is the main reason I'm considering this car at higher mileage because I really like it. Excited to see it in person tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #19
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the comments on the compression test. I'm not thinking I need it especially if I'm paying for an aftermarket warranty.

And yes it is that interior, this is the main reason I'm considering this car at higher mileage because I really like it. Excited to see it in person tomorrow
That's very pretty. What color is the outside? That is the only 6 I've ever seen w/o a black dash even if they have an individual interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #20
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's very pretty. What color is the outside? That is the only 6 I've ever seen w/o a black dash even if they have an individual interior.
It's a silver outside. So while plain it works with the crazier interior IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #21
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog2964 View Post
Have you ever filed a claim with Patriot and if so, how was the experience? They quoted me a pretty good rate on my 6, but its pretty worthlessi f they dont pay claims. thx
I haven't had to use the warranty yet so I can't say. Only had the car a little more than a month, but IMO I would look for a CPO 6 Series or at least one that's still under factory warranty at a BMW dealership so they can extend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #22
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
I haven't had to use the warranty yet so I can't say. Only had the car a little more than a month, but IMO I would look for a CPO 6 Series or at least one that's still under factory warranty at a BMW dealership so they can extend it.
That might be plan B if the one i bought doesnt pan out. It gets delivered monday and i will have a PPI done at the BMW dealership tuesday and depending on how that goes, i may or may not keep it.
thx
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven474.50