BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-13-2024, 05:23 PM   #1
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

So what IS a “spun bearing”, I asked…

While I thoroughly enjoy dailying my F06 640i GC (much more than I should - LONG freeway commute), I would love to add an M6 one of these years. Yet I see so much about rod bearing issues. I had to ask the What and Why given that my experience is limited there.

Just happened upon a thorough presentation by none other than Chris Fix:
What Causes a Spun Bearing in an Engine?

Skip right up to 6:50… Excellent depiction of what has happened to a blown engine from rod bearing failure, hands-on with the dismantled engine and drive history that led to the failure. Thought you all might enjoy this also.

Now, if only could get driving history on a used vic… wouldn’t THAT be fantastic! It is hard enough to get maintenance records sometimes, and CarFax has proven to be of questionable utility since shops only enter what they want to enter into that database.

Until BMW brings back the 6 in all of its unique glory (our swooped center console at minimum)… will continue my casual hunt.

Enjoy your weekend, all!
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2024, 03:14 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

This is a great post! Thank you for sharing. I thought I knew what a "spun bearing" was, but this description really helped me understand the actual mechanism of action instead of just the end result. A must see for everyone.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #3
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
[QUOTE=FlyinLowSD;30811292]While I thoroughly enjoy dailying my F06 640i GC (much more than I should - LONG freeway commute), I would love to add an M6 one of these years. Yet I see so much about rod bearing issues. I had to ask the What and Why given that my experience is limited there.

Just happened upon a thorough presentation by none other than Chris Fix:
What Causes a Spun Bearing in an Engine?

Skip right up to 6:50… Excellent depiction of what has happened to a blown engine from rod bearing failure, hands-on with the dismantled engine and drive history that led to the failure. Thought you all might enjoy

Thank you for posting.
Appreciate 0