BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Road tested an 850 GC

I did not know whether to post this here or on the 8 series forum, but as I am a very happy 650 GC owner (even more now), I thought it best to share with you my feelings on the 850.

I tested a black M850xi GC with a Fiona Red/Black Full Merino leather interior. It is a good-looking car (nicer than the new A7 IMO) and the stretched rear window design and rear quarter lines are quite nice but I don't think the overall design will age very well. The interior is also a bit of a disappointment, with none of the exotic design cues from the 650 GC. It does, of course, have more modern technologies and features but it does not come close to the feeling you have when you sit in the 650 GC; it feels more like a sedan than a four door based on a sports coupe. One feature that was completely ridiculous, in my opinion, was the hand gesture feature which allowed you to increase volume or change stations/songs by twirling your hand or moving your hand in one direction or the other.

After starting it up and taking it for a short drive, you immediately notice the difference in the driving experience. It feels more refined, slightly more disconnected from the road but does seem to be a bit faster when accelerating, but not by much. This could be because the exhaust sound, especially in sport mode, is much more pronounced and burbly than in the 650 GC (almost Mustang GT sounding) and I found it to be a little artificial and a little poser for a car of this calibre. The steering is lighter and the handling is really good, but again, the whole car feels more insulated from what is going on beneath and around you.

BMW should have modernized the 6 GC while keeping its unique design elements and proportions that make it one of the great automotive designs. Looking modern does not mean looking better. The 6 GC is aggressive yet elegant, not pretentious, has perfect proportions and does not need an overabundance of scoops, bends and creases to make it beautiful. However, I will say that if the 6 GC never existed, the 8 GC would be at the top of my list.

When we got back to the dealer, I saw my white 650 GC M Sport and knew that I would be keeping my car for a little while longer.

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 10-19-2019 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
Frupal791.50
iamvanja167.00
F30Andy1774.00
      10-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

It's probably better that you posted here. Who really appreciates a thread that basically pans the vehicle the forum is about. Let the G14/G15 fan boys/girls have their moment.

Think about your thoughts when someone from an f10 or f01 or prior gen 6 series (e63/e54) writes a somewhat negative review of the f06/f12/f13 on our forums...it's usually received with disdain.

I visit to read their forum but refrain from writing my true feelings because there are some not so nice things I feel about it. My harshest comment would be about the rear end...it is what turns me completely off about that model. Inspite of some non-traditional BMW cues with the side view profile and new front end...its the rear that makes me feel just like I did about the e65/e66 7 series Bangle butt and also the Bangle'ized e60 5 series (Dame Edna) front headlights.

I've written it before and will say it again...the rear end of the new 8 looks like "dog jowls -in-the-wind"...that's what I see when I view it from the rear. And the side angle of the rear trunk spoiler's whale tail and deep indentations & fake vents are just as appalling...it reminds me of a horrible mis-mash of Asian and American pseudo sport vehicles.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-19-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

There are some things I like about the new 8, I think that the headlights are really nice and the style of the rear seats is quite nice too.

I don't like the interior much other than the design of the rear seats. Our generation of 6 has a great dash design and I feel like they could have kept it but modernised a reasonable amount, unfortunately the interior looks very similar to the rest of the range from G20 3 series up.
      10-21-2019, 03:38 AM   #4
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
BMW should have modernized the 6 GC while keeping its unique design elements and proportions that make it one of the great automotive designs.

I agree even I do not like these GC models ...... but the case is the same with 2 D versions. In early days I did like the more slim model of the new 8 but after all do like the 6 version more.
Appreciate 0