BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
mediaboy
Rep
Drives: F06, F10, G07

My wife thinks I'm crazy - Interior Swap M6 GC

Just like the title says, wife thinks I'm crazy and I'm looking for unbiased opinions from other obsessive enthusiasts.

I've been searching for a 6MT GC forever that wasn't ragged on and that doesn't cost $135k. An impossible task. Recently I got a POSSIBLE lead on a low mileage GC with Canyon Brown interior. Problem is, I prefer more traditional interiors such as black or gray.

I haven't seen the car (or color) in person yet, only in random Google pictures. Even with the color, if it all checks out, it'd be hard to pass up.

So that leads me to my current internal debate. What to do about the interior. Obviously I'd give it a few months to see if it grows on me. If not, here's what I got:

1. Have interior reupholstered. If possible. Not my favorite option because I like OEM quality / fitment.

2. Buy salvage car and do full swap. (Totally crazy, I know)

3. Do even swap with other GC owner who likes the $5,000 individual brown.

4. Have interior professionally re-dyed black.

5. Suck it up, drive the car and trade out if another crosses my path.

Biggest problem with every option is I believe the brown is also on the dash, and I don't think it's a removable piece. Entire dash swap doesn't sound realistic.

Not to mention any hit to resale value. Which isn't super important to me, because I'll keep for a long time since 6MT's for a car this big are dead.

Appreciate any insight you guys may have, or ideas I haven't thought about.

Maybe my wife is right, and I'm really crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

You crazy
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #3
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Only one of your options is viable - #5

Listen to your wife...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Canyon brown is quite subtle IMO - you crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

My first choice was the Sakhir Orange Interior, but I love my Canyon Brown, and glad I did get that. It's subjective of course, but it's a very classy finish.

I am probably going get some flak on this, but I would be more concerned about the manual transmission choice. The dct suits this car better IMHO, and I would think resale value would be worse; I watched a White on Sakhir Orange GC sit on the a local lot for 3 months before they finally got rid of it. Extremely low mileage, had everything I wanted, great price. Except it was a manual. While I would prefer a manual for an RX7 or other ultra light weight, minimalist sports car, I'm not wanting one for a GT, even if i already have a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
mediaboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You crazy
Hahahahaha You sound just like my wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclin View Post
My first choice was the Sakhir Orange Interior, but I love my Canyon Brown, and glad I did get that. It's subjective of course, but it's a very classy finish.

I am probably going get some flak on this, but I would be more concerned about the manual transmission choice. The dct suits this car better IMHO, and I would think resale value would be worse; I watched a White on Sakhir Orange GC sit on the a local lot for 3 months before they finally got rid of it. Extremely low mileage, had everything I wanted, great price. Except it was a manual. While I would prefer a manual for an RX7 or other ultra light weight, minimalist sports car, I'm not wanting one for a GT, even if i already have a daily driver.
With an orange interior I would just pass on the car. Brown is at least reasonable for me.

Current example - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

I've been searching for a while and I've seen numerous DCT cars on sale for months and with only 108 manual GC's, I don't expect a problem in the future.

For reference - I currently own a manual e39 and DCT f10. Yes the DCT is faster, but I enjoy the act of driving the e39 more, but want modern features.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaboy View Post
Just like the title says, wife thinks I'm crazy and I'm looking for unbiased opinions from other obsessive enthusiasts.

I've been searching for a 6MT GC forever that wasn't ragged on and that doesn't cost $135k. An impossible task. Recently I got a POSSIBLE lead on a low mileage GC with Canyon Brown interior. Problem is, I prefer more traditional interiors such as black or gray.

I haven't seen the car (or color) in person yet, only in random Google pictures. Even with the color, if it all checks out, it'd be hard to pass up.

So that leads me to my current internal debate. What to do about the interior. Obviously I'd give it a few months to see if it grows on me. If not, here's what I got:

1. Have interior reupholstered. If possible. Not my favorite option because I like OEM quality / fitment.

Biggest problem with every option is I believe the brown is also on the dash, and I don't think it's a removable piece. Entire dash swap doesn't sound realistic.

Not to mention any hit to resale value. Which isn't super important to me, because I'll keep for a long time since 6MT's for a car this big are dead.

What color os exterior?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
mediaboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Quote:

What color os exterior?
Tanzanite Blue with 433M wheels.

Found an example on Google with interior but can't really see in detail.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Tanzanite Blue with 433M wheels.

Found an example on Google with interior but can't really see in detail.
Nice car and very desirable.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

That pic is tabs car during Euro delivery. There can't be many Tanzanite cars with a 6MT and that interior.....are you talking to him?

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160281
      07-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
mediaboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
That pic is tabs car during Euro delivery. There can't be many Tanzanite cars with a 6MT and that interior.....are you talking to him?

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160281
Nope. Might be a good person to talk with and maybe get better pics though. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I think all options listed are crazy. Including #5, you'll regret it because you'll be thinking about how much you hate it everytime you see it.

You best bet is to wait for the one you want.

Also Canyon Brown is an amazing color.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I think all options listed are crazy. Including #5, you'll regret it because you'll be thinking about how much you hate it everytime you see it.

You best bet is to wait for the one you want.

Also Canyon Brown is an amazing color.
I agree, i dont think there is a better interior color with that blue.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 530i X-Drive

Garage List
If you are patient and can wait 2 years, I will likely turn my 2019 M6 in at lease-end. The turn in date is Nov, 2021, but I may not keep it that long. The residual will be about $65k. I love the car, and it has been flawless for me thus far (9k miles), but in a couple years I won't need the back seat and will move on to my dream car (911 GT3 touring).

If you haven't driven a 6MT M6, it will be worth the patience to find the right one for you. They are so much fun and so luxurious on the highway. Far and away the best road trip car I have ever owned.

Good luck with your search!
Danny
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
mediaboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
If you are patient and can wait 2 years, I will likely turn my 2019 M6 in at lease-end. The turn in date is Nov, 2021, but I may not keep it that long. The residual will be about $65k. I love the car, and it has been flawless for me thus far (9k miles), but in a couple years I won't need the back seat and will move on to my dream car (911 GT3 touring).

If you haven't driven a 6MT M6, it will be worth the patience to find the right one for you. They are so much fun and so luxurious on the highway. Far and away the best road trip car I have ever owned.

Danny
What are the specs? I am in no immediate need, I just know the longer I wait, the more finding a low mileage 6MT is going to be even harder.

I re-searched listings again and it keeps reminding me how much of a pain in the ass it is to go through 100 listings ONE BY ONE to look at the interior console because people can't seem to mark the transmission correctly. I even check VIN's for ones that don't have pics and are marked 6MT specifically.

It's not an easy task.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Danny
What are the specs? I am in no immediate need, I just know the longer I wait, the more finding a low mileage 6MT is going to be even harder.

I re-searched listings again and it keeps reminding me how much of a pain in the ass it is to go through 100 listings ONE BY ONE to look at the interior console because people can't seem to mark the transmission correctly. I even check VIN's for ones that don't have pics and are marked 6MT specifically.

It's not an easy task.
Agreed. I was looking for months and literally had to go 1x1 for auto vs MT
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It's not an easy task.
2019 M6GC. Build date September, 2018.
Singapore Grey exterior
Black extended leather
Gray poplar wood trim with black piano on center console
433M black wheels

Other than window tinting, there are no mods to the car. No tune, exhaust, etc. No plans to change that.

I have attached the window sticker for full details. If you look at "my garage", I have some pictures of the car.

Danny
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #18
mediaboy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's not an easy task.
2019 M6GC. Build date September, 2018.
Singapore Grey exterior
Black extended leather
Gray poplar wood trim with black piano on center console
433M black wheels

Other than window tinting, there are no mods to the car. No tune, exhaust, etc. No plans to change that.

I have attached the window sticker for full details. If you look at "my garage", I have some pictures of the car.

Danny
Beautiful example! I'll drop you a PM.

I'll still take a hard look at the M6 I have a line on and if I pick it up, I'll reevaluate when your lease is up.

So brown stays brown. My wife can rest easy. 😏

I still can't believe someone didn't egg me on and ask for DIY swap pics and instructions when I was done. 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #19
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Chesie, you may have one of the last 6spd M6 GCs delivered in the US!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #20
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Chesie, you may have one of the last 6spd M6 GCs delivered in the US!
Yeah. They only made 28 M6’s altogether, after mine rolled off. Out of those 28, only two were 6MT’s. The last M6 to roll off the line, WBS6E9C55KG808477, was a 6MT. Reportedly, it was made for one of the M engine mechanics at the Dingolfing plant. I have no way of verifying this, but searching for the VIN came up with no hits in the USA.
Appreciate 0