+1000
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

The standard NYC SOP for parking. Looks to me the driver of the fire engine had enough room.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:34 PM   #5
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

We live on a street where parking is only allowed on one side to allow emergency vehicles to always have room. One day, I asked one of the city firemen I happened to run into what they did if people parked on the illegal side of the street. His answer: "Don't worry. We'll get through." Along with how much their full size fire engine weighed and how much power and torque it had
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I think it's municipality and even down to the department level on how a situation such as this would be handled. I know at my former station where I attained driver status for the BLS ambulance rigs, I would not have been allowed to plow through a parked car that was obstructing my path even though the station carries insurance on the rigs along with in house legal counsel. I don't know if it's any different with the squad trucks at my former station.

I've read a bunch of the Youtube comments where many of them were pounding their chests saying they could have driven the Engine through that gap easily or would have pushed the car out of the way. Yet none of them are or have been EMS drivers of said apparatus'. I can only speculate that the driver of the Engine felt the risk for personal liability was too much to attempt driving the Engine through the available gap.
Appreciate 2
m3fuz199.00
      08-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I think it's municipality and even down to the department level on how a situation such as this would be handled. I know at my former station where I attained driver status for the BLS ambulance rigs, I would not have been allowed to plow through a parked car that was obstructing my path even though the station carries insurance on the rigs along with in house legal counsel. I don't know if it's any different with the squad trucks at my former station.

I've read a bunch of the Youtube comments where many of them were pounding their chests saying they could have driven the Engine through that gap easily or would have pushed the car out of the way. Yet none of them are or have been EMS drivers of said apparatus'. I can only speculate that the driver of the Engine felt the risk for personal liability was too much to attempt driving the Engine through the available gap.
There would be consequences to that kind of action. If the truck is damaged and then can't respond have they accomplished anything? The principal of emergency response is to arrive, if you have an accident either intentional or not and don't arrive you have failed to do your job. I suspect the truck has a reverse gear, perhaps finding another route would've been the prudent action rather than sitting there for over a minute riding the siren and airhorn. Isn't the mantra of the fire dept, "seconds save lives"?
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      08-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
There would be consequences to that kind of action. If the truck is damaged and then can't respond have they accomplished anything? The principal of emergency response is to arrive, if you have an accident either intentional or not and don't arrive you have failed to do your job. I suspect the truck has a reverse gear, perhaps finding another route would've been the prudent action rather than sitting there for over a minute riding the siren and airhorn. Isn't the mantra of the fire dept, "seconds save lives"?
I was thinking the same thing about backing up. It appears no other vehicles were obstructing them in doing so. But also it will require one of the firefighters in the Engine to be back there to guide the driver back. That's SOP at my former station even with the smaller Medic and Ambulance rigs. So the extra time may not have been worth it to the driver in his calculation. Again speculating.

Another thought is maybe the driver is still in trainee status. I did a number of emergency response calls as a driver trainee under the supervision of a current status'd driver.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      08-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I'm thinking there wasn't really any call they were responding to, but rather just wanted to make a point that the idiot "could" have obstructed them in a real emergency. We have no other context to go on other than what was shown in the clip. I think what was most disturbing about the situation was the lack of urgency on the BMW driver's part to get to the car and get out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I'm thinking there wasn't really any call they were responding to, but rather just wanted to make a point that the idiot "could" have obstructed them in a real emergency. We have no other context to go on other than what was shown in the clip. I think what was most disturbing about the situation was the lack of urgency on the BMW driver's part to get to the car and get out of the way.
I know if I ran my lights and sirens without an actual call, my OIC would be having words for me when I returned to the station.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #11
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
The standard NYC SOP for parking. Looks to me the driver of the fire engine had enough room.
Maybe it's the angle but to my eyes the truck had enough room to get through without hitting anything.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      08-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I know if I ran my lights and sirens without an actual call, my OIC would be having words for me when I returned to the station.
This.

No vehicle can project blue and red from the front without it being an emergency. Not sure about the siren law, but certainly this was a real call or someone is in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Tine for the fire department to do a little Australian customization:

Name:  70-SERIES-GXL-13-SCab-5-Post-60-Tube-dble-RS-PCAS-Steel-Tray-Dble-HBoard4xTBoxes-Client-Sup.-TLi.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  68.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
This.

No vehicle can project blue and red from the front without it being an emergency. Not sure about the siren law, but certainly this was a real call or someone is in trouble.
Sirens are treated the same as the emergency lights. I have used emergency lights only depending on the situation such as when I'm rolling out from the station late at night so I won't wake people in their homes. So the minimum to run under emergency status is having the lights.

What can be used without getting in trouble are the air horns. The Econoline rigs I ran had them mounted on the front grill but they were not particularly large. So there have been a few times some brain dead drivers would just sit there almost ignoring the air horns. The bigger Freightliner ambulances have the larger air horns mounted to the bumper that the Engines and aerial towers use. Now those things are F'n loud. And you can't help but want to get the heck out of the way or go deaf.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      08-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #15
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

No jury would convict if the truck rammed the car based on the grill design alone, much less if it was an emergency. That's one jury I would be happy to serve on.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
No jury would convict if the truck rammed the car based on the grill design alone, much less if it was an emergency. That's one jury I would be happy to serve on.
It wouldn't get there as the station's insurance company would find fault against the driver of the Engine and pay out damages to the selfish double parker. The driver would probably be placed on probation and face other disciplinary actions and the station's insurance rates would go up.

I get wanting to dispense street justice. Heck I've wanted to do it plenty of times when I was doing EMS work. But doing so and getting away with it is just a fantasy.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      08-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #17
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

The emergency was probably some poor guy who clawed his eyes out after seeing that grill…

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0