BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-21-2021, 12:15 AM   #1
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Coolant drain and capacity (N63TU)

Changing the charge air aux pump, need to drain the coolant.

Since the N63TU has two separate cooling systems, does draining the coolant from the bottom radiator hose drain both systems?

Also, I read the system takes 12.3 qts of coolant. Is this referring to both systems total? How much would the charge air cooling and engine/turbo cooling take each?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Look at post 21 in the thread a couple below this one about checking coolant levels. Q Silver posted diagrams of the system. The engine/turbo system goes through the radiator. The charge air system appears to have its own heat exchanger. That makes sense since it's a much lower temperature system. Plus, the level can drop in one and not the other since they are separate, which logically means they don't share a common drain.
Appreciate 1
itzjoker149.50
      07-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Look at post 21 in the thread a couple below this one about checking coolant levels. Q Silver posted diagrams of the system. The engine/turbo system goes through the radiator. The charge air system appears to have its own heat exchanger. That makes sense since it's a much lower temperature system. Plus, the level can drop in one and not the other since they are separate, which logically means they don't share a common drain.
Makes sense, was asking to clarify. That leaves the question of coolant capacity for each system and drain hose for the charge air cooling system which will probably drain when I remove the pump anyways. Thanks!
Appreciate 0