BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
DXfan01
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Does BMW still sell the n63?

So I had a total engine failure in my 2012 coupe, engine literally exploded and my extended warranty through Mercury is replacing the engine but I’m wondering will I just be getting another N63? Or will I be getting the N63TU? Questions I’m realizing I should’ve asked but my service rep doesn’t seem very knowledgeable anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Being that it’s an aftermarket warranty, they may only payout for a new short block and make them transfer any part they determine to be still good. Of course, depending what failed.
When I worked at Jaguar, the factory would never have us rebuild anything, but the after market guys would make us to save a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
DXfan01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
Being that it’s an aftermarket warranty, they may only payout for a new short block and make them transfer any part they determine to be still good. Of course, depending what failed.
When I worked at Jaguar, the factory would never have us rebuild anything, but the after market guys would make us to save a few bucks.
Well as far as I know they aren’t rebuilding they’re completely replacing, my service rep said they don’t rebuild engines as well. But when I asked if I was getting the same type of N63 or the TU he said the same. But I also read they don’t distribute those out anymore. So I was wondering if he just doesn’t know.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXfan01 View Post
So I had a total engine failure in my 2012 coupe, engine literally exploded and my extended warranty through Mercury is replacing the engine but I'm wondering will I just be getting another N63? Or will I be getting the N63TU? Questions I'm realizing I should've asked but my service rep doesn't seem very knowledgeable anyways.
You'll get a reman n63 short block. Bmw is selling them for about $4k right now. Bottom half only obviously, top is reused. Bmw dropped the price hugely because of the lawsuit and the shear number of n63 replacements needed.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Admittedly, I don’t own a 6 with a 63 motor for the reasons you are currently dealing with. I I’m not in the full know of the complete differences between the N63 and the TU. From what I read, it appears that most, of not all, are bolt on items. Fuel injectors, timing chain, batteries and other items related to the cooling system.
My fear is that at best, you will receive a block with cylinder heads and they reuse everything else.
I would ask the service manager, not the advisor.

And I thought the N62 couldn’t get any worse, then came the N63

Last edited by Derekz4; 06-28-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #6
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

These are the differences between a long block and short block.

“They only differ in the components they carry. A short block package typically includes the engine block, crank and pistons. ... A long block engine has all the parts of the short block package. To the skeleton that is the short block, it adds a cylinder head, camshaft and valve-train.”
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
DXfan01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
You'll get a reman n63 short block. Bmw is selling them for about $4k right now. Bottom half only obviously, top is reused. Bmw dropped the price hugely because of the lawsuit and the shear number of n63 replacements needed.
But they charged my warranty company $15k , is the rest just labor then?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Admittedly, I don't own a 6 with a 63 motor for the reasons you are currently dealing with. I I'm not in the full know of the complete differences between the N63 and the TU. From what I read, it appears that most, of not all, are bolt on items. Fuel injectors, timing chain, batteries and other items related to the cooling system.
My fear is that at best, you will receive a block with cylinder heads and they reuse everything else.
I would ask the service manager, not the advisor.

And I thought the N62 couldn't get any worse, then came the N63
The n63 and the n63tu are basically 2 different motors as revisions are concerned. You can not swap a n63 to a n63tu unless you replace massive amounts of parts, wiring and electronics. They may share a common name but it's way beyond bolt-ons.

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63t...tu2-vs-n63tu3/

As it stats... almost a different engine and it is.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. Labour is massive
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That may be the answer. The last quote for a new complete motor I saw, which was an N62, was north of 30k
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That may be the answer. The last quote for a new complete motor I saw, which was an N62, was north of 30k
N63 was over $20k replacement before lawsuit. Bmw dropped the short block price by over half to 'help'
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
DXfan01
Rep

Quote:
N63 was over $20k replacement before lawsuit. Bmw dropped the short block price by over half to 'help'
Hmmm so now I’m wondering if he just lied about “completely replacing” the engine. I will definitely have to speak with the service manager .
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #13
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm so now I’m wondering if he just lied about “completely replacing” the engine. I will definitely have to speak with the service manager .
No they probably did give you a reman block and swap over all of the parts from the top end. $15k is the right number with labour.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

If it makes you feel any better, I've had two N63s and 1 N63TU and by far the N63s were a lot more reliable with less issues and "drank" less oil. Never had issues with the N63s for years, sold the TU after 1.5 years due to constant need to add oil. I'm good friends with a Service Advisor and talked to him about N63s/TUs, etc. He said that they try to replace some parts with better/newer revised ones. Not sure to what extent.

I feel like BMW added the "new" variants to make the customers feel like they are getting a newer/better engine, when in reality they are euqally crap and just ticking timebombs. Even so, I've come to realize that I'm addicted to the torque and in this case the saying "you gotta pay to play" is spot on.

Even the new M550i is still having similar issues.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

Believe it or not, they use a similar nomenclature instead of coming up with something else. You'd think they'd call it N64 to make people not realize they are not fixing the issues and/or are creating new issues with the new variants.

What I'm trying to say is, enjoy your new engine as I'm sure it comes with a warranty. You are in a better spot than having a used N63TU.

Last edited by AmooManiak; 06-29-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #15
DXfan01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I've had two N63s and 1 N63TU and by far the N63s were a lot more reliable with less issues and "drank" less oil. Never had issues with the N63s for years, sold the TU after 1.5 years due to constant need to add oil. I'm good friends with a Service Advisor and talked to him about N63s/TUs, etc. He said that they try to replace some parts with better/newer revised ones. Not sure to what extent.

I feel like BMW added the "new" variants to make the customers feel like they are getting a newer/better engine, when in reality they are euqally crap and just ticking timebombs. Even so, I've come to realize that I'm addicted to the torque and in this case the saying "you gotta pay to play" is spot on.

Even the new M550i is still having similar issues.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

Believe it or not, they use a similar nomenclature instead of coming up with something else. You'd think they'd call it N64 to make people not realize they are not fixing the issues and/or are creating new issues with the new variants.

What I'm trying to say is, enjoy your new engine as I'm sure it comes with a warranty. You are in a better spot than having a used N63TU.

Thanks for this, ugh will have to wait a little longer as I was just told the car was on its final test drive and was rear ended .. so now they have to get the back fixed . I almost want to cause a ruckus about this .
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this, ugh will have to wait a little longer as I was just told the car was on its final test drive and was rear ended .. so now they have to get the back fixed . I almost want to cause a ruckus about this .
Geez, what dealer is this?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
DXfan01
Rep

Quote:
Geez, what dealer is this?
Valencia BMW in Santa Clarita.
Appreciate 0