BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Red Light Camera Ticket

Yesterday, I turned right on a very late yellow in Beverly Hills and was very surprised by very bright flashing lights. I have not received the ticket, but am confident that it is forthcoming.

I intend to fight it. Many must, judging by the plethora of attorneys advertising online. $49.00! Success guaranteed or you don’t pay!

Does anyone have experience with this? I’d like to avoid hiring the wrong lawyer…

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Watch the video at the link that arrives on the ticket l, should you actually receive a ticket.
Appreciate 2
Frupal779.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      06-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #3
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I got one here and didn't pay it on time, went from $89 to $158
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      06-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Got one about a year ago. The camera systems seem to now have video which is what happened to me. At first I thought the ticket was issued incorrectly for running the red light...until I dug into the statue violation. I didn't come to a complete stop before turning right on red which is legal here. I thought I had stopped enough to see the intersection was clear. But apparently not. I did some searching online where others had the same violation and didn't win on appeal. I figured in the end to just pay the ticket rather than deal with further aggravation and wasting of my time. In the end, at least here, the ticket doesn't show up on your driving record and isn't treated as a moving violation.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

There used to be a bunch of them here in Texas intersections but they all have been removed. I am in minority (and I mean a very very small minority) when I say they need to be back. Here is Houston it is pretty normal for people to keep crossing the intersection 3-4 seconds after their light turned red. I think the rule of thumb is: if you are within 20 feet of the car in front of you and they cross you can cross too.

By the way I think it is more like a bill, not a ticket. So if you don't pay it'll go to bill collector as oppose to generating an arrest warrant. It is not a ticket unless a law enforcement officer hands it to you and you sign it.
Appreciate 2
gjm1202181.50
      06-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I got one a while back and it was nearly impossible to appeal. The company operating the camera system is judge and jury. They were since removed all over South Florida and I believe they are illegal in FL now. Good riddance. Makes no sense to ticket someone for creeping through a right turn on red when no traffic is coming while letting idiots drive around while staring at their phones without some automated way to catch them. Enforcement needs to be balanced not absolute.
wdb4673.00
paquet629.50
      06-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
There used to be a bunch of them here in Texas intersections but they all have been removed. I am in minority (and I mean a very very small minority) when I say they need to be back. Here is Houston it is pretty normal for people to keep crossing the intersection 3-4 seconds after their light turned red. I think the rule of thumb is: if you are within 20 feet of the car in front of you and they cross you can cross too.

By the way I think it is more like a bill, not a ticket. So if you don't pay it'll go to bill collector as oppose to generating an arrest warrant. It is not a ticket unless a law enforcement officer hands it to you and you sign it.
In my jurisdiction, if you don't pay, the fines increase. If you still don't pay, the DMV refuses to renew your registration to your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I got one a while back and it was nearly impossible to appeal. The company operating the camera system is judge and jury. They were since removed all over South Florida and I believe they are illegal in FL now. Good riddance. Makes no sense to ticket someone for creeping through a right turn on red when no traffic is coming while letting idiots drive around while staring at their phones without some automated way to catch them. Enforcement needs to be balanced not absolute.
There have been other situations where jurisdictions were/are using the red light cameras as another revenue stream. As such the length of the yellows were shortened causing more tickets to be generated. The other side effect of red light cameras are more wrecks than they might have prevented as people slam on their brakes versus risking a ticket when the light goes yellow.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410880.50
cmyx6go15573.50
      06-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #9
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
I received one early 2020 on Collins Ave near Fountainblue Hotel but never paid. With the move and the world ending March 2020 I lost track of it. Haven’t received anything in the mail since (follow up) and my FL license is still valid and clean, even though I have a IN license now. Glad to know they’re removed as I’m going back to Miami next month.

Deadbeat of the year.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Got one up in Sacramento about two years ago and cost me about $600. I shit you not.

For those that are not aware, intersections in CA are required to post the fine amount if they are using red light cameras. And that amount varies by intersection... presumably by traffic statistics/rates.

I guess I chose the wrong light to roll through a right on red with...

They sent documentation including several photos of me clearly doing what they said I did. Not sure how a lawyer would be able to fight that down to zero but Im not a lawyer.

Really pissed me off but I felt I had no choice but to pay. Cali will absolute fuck you if you give them the chance. That was my experience in four years living in NorCal anyway.
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144320.50
      06-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Pretty sure they started them back up. I got one not that long ago. I was livid, no way I would take the red light (yellow is fair game) even thought maybe my gf was driving at the time.

On the ticket they give you a site to go see pics and video. It was my truck on a day I know I was driving it. The video showed it totally going through the red light, wasn't yellow at all when I went through. So I just paid it although I still for the life of me can't recall that. Maybe I'm getting old.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I received one early 2020 on Collins Ave near Fountainblue Hotel but never paid. With the move and the world ending March 2020 I lost track of it. Haven’t received anything in the mail since (follow up) and my FL license is still valid and clean, even though I have a IN license now. Glad to know they’re removed as I’m going back to Miami next month.

Deadbeat of the year.
Well, they were removed before 2020 so not sure what happened on Collins.

Edit: I stand corrected. Looks like FL Supreme Court said they are legal and some cities turned them back on. I haven't come across one in a long time, but guess they are still out there is some spots:

https://www.theticketclinic.com/blog...t-florida-2020
F30lolz6798.50
2000cs3447.00
      06-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #13
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post

Wholeheartedly agree they should come back. When the controversy was going on, some state legislator said something like "how'd you like to open your mailbox and find a ticket for running a red light?" Someone should have told him, how'd you like to answer your phone a find out someone ran a red light and killed someone close to you.
      06-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I got a few in Kansas but I just threw them in the trash.

They weren't complaint with the states privacy laws and are operated by private companies that are basically just paying the state/city to let them install them and then tag people on the honor system to get revenue from people but you cant compel someone to testify against themselves, you couldn't take a picture of someone inside their car (privacy violation) and just a picture of the outside of the car doesn't prove who committed the violation.

So the state just got rid of them once word got out and people were ignoring them.

Thankfully haven't gotten one in Georgia, sounds like they actually enforce them (not as a violation but they will let them go to collections).
Appreciate 2
Frupal779.50
Humdizzle6024.00
      06-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #15
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Yesterday, I turned right on a very late yellow in Beverly Hills and was very surprised by very bright flashing lights. I have not received the ticket, but am confident that it is forthcoming.

I intend to fight it. Many must, judging by the plethora of attorneys advertising online. $49.00! Success guaranteed or you don’t pay!

Does anyone have experience with this? I’d like to avoid hiring the wrong lawyer…

Thanks in advance!
Where in BH? What intersection?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #16
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I received a notice in the mail for a "stopping violation". I was making a right turn and although it is legal to make a right on red if you stop, I was stopped over the line, which is a violation. I thought about fighting it, but ended up just paying it to make it go away. If you don't pay, or fight and loose, it gets sent to the DMV and will appear on your driving record. If you pay it, it doesn't get reported. Feels wrong, but sometimes it's just less hassle to eat it. Many areas are getting rid of the cameras that are operated by a contractor, since the contractor technically doesn't have the authority to enforce the law or impose fines.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
How can they prove it was you driving? What if the owner let a friend borrow the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #18
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
How can they prove it was you driving? What if the owner let a friend borrow the car?
The registered owner will get the bill/ticket in the mail and will still be held responsible for the fine.

In NY, the DMV clerks will essentially respond with a " the registered owner can hold whomever they lend the car too accountable for reimbursement, so long as the registered owner pays the fine to the DMV".

Same rules apply to Speed cameras as well, since they are becoming more prevalent in and around the 5 boroughs.
KennyFSU1102.50
      06-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I received a notice in the mail for a "stopping violation". I was making a right turn and although it is legal to make a right on red if you stop, I was stopped over the line, which is a violation. I thought about fighting it, but ended up just paying it to make it go away. If you don't pay, or fight and loose, it gets sent to the DMV and will appear on your driving record. If you pay it, it doesn't get reported. Feels wrong, but sometimes it's just less hassle to eat it. Many areas are getting rid of the cameras that are operated by a contractor, since the contractor technically doesn't have the authority to enforce the law or impose fines.
That’s the business model in a nutshell.
      06-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
The registered owner will get the bill/ticket in the mail and will still be held responsible for the fine.

In NY, the DMV clerks will essentially respond with a " the registered owner can hold whomever they lend the car too accountable for reimbursement, so long as the registered owner pays the fine to the DMV".

Same rules apply to Speed cameras as well, since they are becoming more prevalent in and around the 5 boroughs.
This.

And in my area, the local legislatures have covered the right to face your accuser. They've put in laws that says you've been put on notice when you drive through a camera enforcement zone when signs are up clearly stating there is camera enforcement in place.

They've also dealt with the aspect of a non police officer making the determination if you've had a violation or not. The camera systems are run by a contractor but there is a police officer that actually reviews the footage. If you are in violation, the officer will issue the ticket and the name of the officer is listed in the violation notice.

In the end, in this area, it's not worth it to fight these automated tickets.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #21
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I received a notice in the mail for a "stopping violation". I was making a right turn and although it is legal to make a right on red if you stop, I was stopped over the line, which is a violation.
Good gravy. Talk about revenue generation just for the sake of revenue generation.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      06-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #22
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
You were skirting the edge of the law by turning on orange, and you got caught. Unless you genuinely believe this was software malfunction, just pay the ticket if/when you get it. It doesn't appear on your record if you do and it's the price you pay for living close to the edge.
Appreciate 1