BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-16-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
Mck444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i

650i Mods Help

Hi Guys,

Just got a 2014 650i GC and looking to do some performance/aesthetic mods to it and looking for some input.

Performance-Tune/DP/Intake
Looking to get a tune but I can't decide on which to get. There's the JB4, BM3, ESS,Mission Performance. Is the BM3 really worth the price increase over the piggyback? Do I need to take the DME out for it to be unlocked? I'm also looking to get a catless DP and saw the ARM ones with the O2 spacers for no CEL. Do these actually work and are they worth the extra ~$50? What is a good intake?

I heard that with a tune you would need to upgrade to one step colder plugs so I'm looking at the NGK ones. Do I need to upgrade chargepipe as well?

Aesthetic-
Want to get rear lip spoiler, M6 style diffuser,springs and black quad tips. Where can I buy a M6 style diffuser or an actual M6 one? Do I need to cut off the valves and oval tips for the quads to be fitted? Want to get lowering springs as well. Saw the H&R's but I'm not sure if the drop is too drastic. I'm looking for a moderate drop, don't want the car to be slammed or anything.

Thanks a lot. That was a lot of questions lol
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle408 View Post
Hi Guys,

Just got a 2014 650i GC and looking to do some performance/aesthetic mods to it and looking for some input.

Performance-Tune/DP/Intake
Looking to get a tune but I can't decide on which to get. There's the JB4, BM3, ESS,Mission Performance. Is the BM3 really worth the price increase over the piggyback? Do I need to take the DME out for it to be unlocked? I'm also looking to get a catless DP and saw the ARM ones with the O2 spacers for no CEL. Do these actually work and are they worth the extra ~$50? What is a good intake?

I heard that with a tune you would need to upgrade to one step colder plugs so I'm looking at the NGK ones. Do I need to upgrade chargepipe as well?

Aesthetic-
Want to get rear lip spoiler, M6 style diffuser,springs and black quad tips. Where can I buy a M6 style diffuser or an actual M6 one? Do I need to cut off the valves and oval tips for the quads to be fitted? Want to get lowering springs as well. Saw the H&R's but I'm not sure if the drop is too drastic. I'm looking for a moderate drop, don't want the car to be slammed or anything.

Thanks a lot. That was a lot of questions lol
I've done a ton a work on my 6 so I can probably answer anything you got. There isn't a ton for the n63tu out there but that said there is some good stuff and some stuff that can be custom fitted to work.

Piggybacks aren't worth the money, a full flash is the way to go. BM3 is a great choice imo. You can also stack a jb4 on top of it too if you want. You do not have to take out the dme's with the n63tu.

Catless dps are a huge increase in power and sound great. With catless you can run higher boost and enable things like 'stage 2' in BM3. I'm using the arm dps. You also do not need the sensor extension to have no cel, bm3 will take care of that.

Meth is also a great investment as it boosts octane and provides extra cooling to a VERY hot hot-v turbocharged motor design. I run snow performance with the arm charge pipes. Unless your running meth there is no need to upgrade charge pipes.

Colder plugs are as a good investment if you're running a stage 2 tune. NGK 97506 gapped to .02.

I also run straight pipes, muffler delete, quad tips.

As for carbon parts there is actually quite a bit on eBay etc. I have carbon splitters, grilles, spoiler and diffuser. Some are better quality and fit-ment than others so do your research. H&R springs are very good as well.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

if your looking to get your 650 in the 10sec bracket hit up Heatsync on FB. tell them Showtime with the 640 sent you. Proven results.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
Mck444
Private
Rep

Thanks for the answers guys. I heard the bootmod only comes with one map. I want to do stage 1 and then stage 2 later. How would I add an extra map? And what is the drop of the H&R compared to the Eibach 650 springs?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the answers guys. I heard the bootmod only comes with one map. I want to do stage 1 and then stage 2 later. How would I add an extra map? And what is the drop of the H&R compared to the Eibach 650 springs?
Yeah you just buy the map pack
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Map pack for ~$150 which gives you access to all maps for your specific vehicle. For my 2013, there were only Stage 1 & 2 (91/93 oct), no "burble tunes" so going straight to Stage 2 (need catless DP and spark plugs) was my best option.

Downpipes, BM3 Stage 2, and muffler delete was all I needed for daily driving. Sounds amazing, not too loud, little drone, and pulls like a train. Not many people do intakes because there is not alot of gain in HP for the $$ but you can build a custom intake for cheap to reduce IATs. Imo the oem setup is very flawed. I do alot of city driving and my IATs are hovering ~40F above ambient.

Springs you'll have to research yourself. IIRC, the Eibachs are a minor drop compared to H&R. I just installed Megans in the front and I absolutely hated doing the work myself. Dreading to do the back. If you can get a good deal on labor I would save yourself the headaches. Pretty straight forward install but compressing and installing new springs was very tricky and time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
Map pack for ~$150 which gives you access to all maps for your specific vehicle. For my 2013, there were only Stage 1 & 2 (91/93 oct), no "burble tunes" so going straight to Stage 2 (need catless DP and spark plugs) was my best option.

Downpipes, BM3 Stage 2, and muffler delete was all I needed for daily driving. Sounds amazing, not too loud, little drone, and pulls like a train. Not many people do intakes because there is not alot of gain in HP for the $$ but you can build a custom intake for cheap to reduce IATs. Imo the oem setup is very flawed. I do alot of city driving and my IATs are hovering ~40F above ambient.

Springs you'll have to research yourself. IIRC, the Eibachs are a minor drop compared to H&R. I just installed Megans in the front and I absolutely hated doing the work myself. Dreading to do the back. If you can get a good deal on labor I would save yourself the headaches. Pretty straight forward install but compressing and installing new springs was very tricky and time consuming.

I'm probably going to go for the H&R. Lots of good indy shops in my area so getting a decent deal on the springs install shouldn't be that hard. I saw the Burger S63Tu intakes and the ARM N63 intakes. Do these work on the TU?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
jwillson80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC XDrive

Garage List
2011 550ix  [0.00]
BM3 Stage 2 with catless DPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
I've done a ton a work on my 6 so I can probably answer anything you got. There isn't a ton for the n63tu out there but that said there is some good stuff and some stuff that can be custom fitted to work.

Piggybacks aren't worth the money, a full flash is the way to go. BM3 is a great choice imo. You can also stack a jb4 on top of it too if you want. You do not have to take out the dme's with the n63tu.

Catless dps are a huge increase in power and sound great. With catless you can run higher boost and enable things like 'stage 2' in BM3. I'm using the arm dps. You also do not need the sensor extension to have no cel, bm3 will take care of that.

Meth is also a great investment as it boosts octane and provides extra cooling to a VERY hot hot-v turbocharged motor design. I run snow performance with the arm charge pipes. Unless your running meth there is no need to upgrade charge pipes.

Colder plugs are as a good investment if you're running a stage 2 tune. NGK 97506 gapped to .02.

As for carbon parts there is actually quite a bit on eBay etc. I have carbon splitters, grilles, spoiler and diffuser. Some are better quality and fit-ment than others so do your research. H&R springs are very good as well.

I currently have BM3 Stage 1 for my 2014 650 GC. Does getting catless DPs and BM3 Stage 2 provide that much more power. I am on the fence and was wondering. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #9
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillson80 View Post
I currently have BM3 Stage 1 for my 2014 650 GC. Does getting catless DPs and BM3 Stage 2 provide that much more power. I am on the fence and was wondering. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
The Catless DP/S2 will give you a slight performance bump and a faster turbo spool time as well as more exhaust sound. Although this isn't going to feel as significant as stock to stage 1, the difference is definitely still there. If you want to squeeze as much power as possible out, I'd recommend checking out DME tuning. They've hit 600+ at the crank vs Bootmod3 at slightly under 600. DME Stage 2 is what I'm looking at if Bootmod3 doesn't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mck444 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillson80 View Post
The Catless DP/S2 will give you a slight performance bump and a faster turbo spool time as well as more exhaust sound. Although this isn't going to feel as significant as stock to stage 1, the difference is definitely still there. If you want to squeeze as much power as possible out, I'd recommend checking out DME tuning. They've hit 600+ at the crank vs Bootmod3 at slightly under 600. DME Stage 2 is what I'm looking at if Bootmod3 doesn't do it for me.
You have to be very careful with dyno numbers, it's very easy to inflate them. In addition not all dyno brands test the same. For instance a mustang dyno and dyno jet will give complete different numbers even with the exact same car. From years of tuning and modding my 6 I've found most of these tunes are pretty similar in values.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
You have to be very careful with dyno numbers, it's very easy to inflate them. In addition not all dyno brands test the same. For instance a mustang dyno and dyno jet will give complete different numbers even with the exact same car. From years of tuning and modding my 6 I've found most of these tunes are pretty similar in values.
Would you recommend the custom tunes? I heard JordanTuned is very good with the 6 cylinders, but I haven't seen anyone who had him tune any of the V8s.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:10 PM   #12
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Would you recommend the custom tunes? I heard JordanTuned is very good with the 6 cylinders, but I haven't seen anyone who had him tune any of the V8s.
I've heard a few horror stories about Jordan and the n63tu, so not sure the truth. He is a master at the 6 cylinder as you mentioned. Heatsync Beta seems to be all the talk now with the n63tu.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #13
Mck444
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've heard a few horror stories about Jordan and the n63tu, so not sure the truth. He is a master at the 6 cylinder as you mentioned. Heatsync Beta seems to be all the talk now with the n63tu.
Was that the one with the 550i 1/4mile record? Or am I thinking of someone else. Are there any posts about them?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Was that the one with the 550i 1/4mile record? Or am I thinking of someone else. Are there any posts about them?
Yeah it's a 650i with the 1/4. Check out his Facebook group. Lots of good info.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:37 PM   #15
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

So I bought my wife a 14' 650i M sport. She is a HP freak and wants more. She also want to track the car from time to time. I had BM3 on my X5 but I have had some issue. Thinking about going with the JB4 from Burger on this one.
My first question... looking at catted vs catless down pipes and still using the stock exhaust and just switching out the tips. How much louder is the ARM catless over the stock sound. Is it like a typical cold start sound level all the time or is more aggressive than that ? Is there much more noise level while cruising down the highway at 80 or 90 mph ? Do you happen to have any sound bites of the catlees before you went muffler deleate ?
She loves the deeper sound but in her Porsche the drone gets old on long 8 hour road trips that we take from time to time. With that being said do you get much heat off the ARM catless down pipe? Like I said may take 8 hour road trips

Quote:

2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #16
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
So I bought my wife a 14' 650i M sport. She is a HP freak and wants more. She also want to track the car from time to time. I had BM3 on my X5 but I have had some issue. Thinking about going with the JB4 from Burger on this one.
My first question... looking at catted vs catless down pipes and still using the stock exhaust and just switching out the tips. How much louder is the ARM catless over the stock sound. Is it like a typical cold start sound level all the time or is more aggressive than that ? Is there much more noise level while cruising down the highway at 80 or 90 mph ? Do you happen to have any sound bites of the catlees before you went muffler deleate ?
She loves the deeper sound but in her Porsche the drone gets old on long 8 hour road trips that we take from time to time. With that being said do you get much heat off the ARM catless down pipe? Like I said may take 8 hour road trips

Quote:

No sorry everything was gutted at once so never ran catless with mufflers. I would definitely say thou it's going to deep compared to stock regardless. Also you will hear the turbo spool 100 fold. I would pass on the jb4, it's old tech and only really a 'beta' on the n63tu. Flash tune or stock really imo.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3