BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-06-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Retrofitting BACK to prelci?

Hey guys, so I'm thinking of picking up a used 2017 m6 in frozen black, black interior DCT (completely different than my 16 that had white interior and a 6speed MT)

HOWEVER

I've always preferred the preLCI headlights, than the LCI remodeled ones. The front just doesn't look as aggressive maybe because it's more curvy, than edgy.

Is it possible to retrofit them BACK to the original ones? Thanks!
      03-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Wow. You have got to be the first. I'm guessing yes, it's possible based in the procedure for upgrading to LCI. Welcome back bro! We missed ya! I wish I picked up your old Frozen Black 6MT!

Talk to IND, and clarify for them you're going from adaptive to adaptive. Many people who have done the retro fit went from pre-adaptive 2013 to 2014+ adaptive. it looks like a lot of wiring have to change, it just might not be plug and play. I wish I lived close to you so we can swap! Read this

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605651

Last edited by Flying Ace; 03-06-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don't blame you for wanting the 2014 pre LCI look. It's very unique. Today every late model F car and many G models have the same style adaptive lights.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Front turn indicator's brightness Pre LCI vs LCI

I've been wanting to ask this question but didn't quite know how to pose the question...should I start a thread or bring it up in another thread. So since this thread is discussing the two types of headlights...I give it a go.

The pre LCI front turn indicators are apparently very bright. I had always noticed that anytime from dusk to dawn...if the turn indicators are initiated...they are so bright that you can see the reflection off of a lot of surfaces like stop lights that have extending shields around them or other road signs and reflective surfaces.

About a month ago...I drove up behind a GM vehicle that also had LED lights and when I looked up at the stop light...I could see (what I thought) was their turn indicators reflecting off the stop light and road signs in front of us. But then noticed that the reflection was timed to my lights...not theirs...so I turned mine off briefly. When I did, the turn indicator reflection stopped, too. Then I turned mine back on and you could again see the turn indicators reflecting off the stop light and signs. This made me go hmmm...because I was second in line behind another vehicle and wondered how freaking bright are my turn indicators!

The question I have is...does the same thing happen with the LCI front turn indicators? Are they just as bright...and can you see them reflecting off signs etc that are up in the air or off to the right or left just like the Pre LCI turn indicators?

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Hopefully I won't need to post a video to show what I mean.

LCI headlights

Pre LCI headlights

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

My God......the car looks good in Shakir Orange. Since we're off topic...

Btw I found out the official names to hall lights.

Ay version with round halos is called "Corona"
Any version with incomplete hex halos is called "Icon"

Not sure what M6 actually has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiper1 View Post
I personally prefer the old corona rings!

Last edited by Flying Ace; 03-06-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The question I have is...does the same thing happen with the LCI front turn indicators? Are they just as bright...and can you see them reflecting off signs etc that are up in the air or off to the right or left just like the Pre LCI turn indicators?
It absolutely does on the LCI ones. I can be third or fourth in a line of traffic and it's my indicators that are lighting up all the street signs. They're insanely bright.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

The headlights were always one of my favorite part of the M6 ,I always liked the lower blinker section it was different than all the other BMWs
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I think as BMW drivers, we have to overemphasize that we're actually using out indicators t
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:06 AM   #9
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I don't blame you for wanting the 2014 pre LCI look. It's very unique. Today every late model F car and many G models have the same style adaptive lights.
After having a couple i8s and a huracán - I STILL think about the m6. So I've had that itch lately, and come across some really good deals.

The fxx model is honestly one of bmws greatest. And timeless, I've seen the new 8 series and of course it's subjective, but it's just starting to look more and more like a mustang to me- where as the m6/ m6gc have such presence (without the ostentatious i8 doors, or huracán name) and quite frankly- just looks gorgeous to this day, as well as probably one of the most fun cars I've owned.

Ha, the frozen black i8 I had ordered was OCD x 1000. It would have served amazing as a show car, but as a daily, I made a very expensive mistake. Actually, having ordered it in a manual, I realized the m6 is simply best in dct. It's too big/heavy for a MT in my humble opinion.

Anyways- I also loved the bottom blinkers of the preLCI. I'm going to reach out to IND and see what can be done. I'm going to decide yes/no in the coming days (if they can come down a little more) and will report back what happens.

Also/ I drive up to SF every now and then. My mom lives in DogPatch so we should definitely do a car meet up next time I visit!
      03-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
It absolutely does on the LCI ones. I can be third or fourth in a line of traffic and it's my indicators that are lighting up all the street signs. They're insanely bright.
Thanks for the verification that both front turn indicator designs "light up the night" when initiated. One positive for their brightness...especially if you drive streets that are dotted with 4 way stop signs...is that oncoming traffic can see that you're turning when your headlights are illuminated. On some cars...the amber turn indicators can get washed out when the headlights are on...especially if they have HID or modern LED/laser/etc headlights. Sometimes I have to really strain to see if oncoming traffic is turning in front of me or going straight. At least I know that they can tell what direction I'm going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I think as BMW drivers, we have to overemphasize that we're actually using out indicators

And to the OP...sorry for highjacking your thread with my turn indicator brightness question.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Reach out to bimmer-tech.net as well. They are a good retrofitting source. Great customer service too. I did a cic to nbt evo retrofit and its flawless. I think in the retrofit you might need a different fem or frm. But i asked about going pre to post lci. I love the pre lci lights but wanted to know the differences.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
After having a couple i8s and a huracán - I STILL think about the m6. So I've had that itch lately, and come across some really good deals.

The fxx model is honestly one of bmws greatest. And timeless, I've seen the new 8 series and of course it's subjective, but it's just starting to look more and more like a mustang to me- where as the m6/ m6gc have such presence (without the ostentatious i8 doors, or huracán name) and quite frankly- just looks gorgeous to this day, as well as probably one of the most fun cars I've owned.

Ha, the frozen black i8 I had ordered was OCD x 1000. It would have served amazing as a show car, but as a daily, I made a very expensive mistake. Actually, having ordered it in a manual, I realized the m6 is simply best in dct. It's too big/heavy for a MT in my humble opinion.

Anyways- I also loved the bottom blinkers of the preLCI. I'm going to reach out to IND and see what can be done. I'm going to decide yes/no in the coming days (if they can come down a little more) and will report back what happens.

Also/ I drive up to SF every now and then. My mom lives in DogPatch so we should definitely do a car meet up next time I visit!
Sounds like a plan! Local BMWCCA lead person now has a M6GC. In the upcoming weeks there are a bunch of club hosted Cars and Coffee events. I used to be one of 2 GCs in SF. Now there are at least 4 GCs and maybe 2 coupes/certs in the city.

Also Follow me on Instagram! Username: msixgc
https://www.instagram.com/msixgc?r=nametag
      03-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #13
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post

Good to see you back in the market!

I agree with you 100% on the new 8. I had a chance to see them at the Welt in Munich a couple of years ago when they first came out, and was left very underwhelmed. The interior and exterior of the 6 is, in my opinion, superior in every way to the new 8. The only real benefit to the new 8 is awd. But depending on the what the production version of the new M4 looks like, especially with the rumored GC option with awd, I think that would be a better option.
Appreciate 1