BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #23
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I've had a 2014 550xi (for 3 years) and then bought my current 2017 650xi GC (going on 2 years soon). No issues with either one - granted I haven't put a lot of mileage on either, and I'm not all that hard on the car.

But back to the warranty and BMW, being put in a loaner or long-term rental is NOT acceptable in my book. There needs to be some kind of backstop after a situation like this goes past 30 days. You bought a BMW 650 and you're driving what, exactly, for the past 7.5 months? You're not getting USE of what you purchased. So, do you really own a 650? On paper - but you aren't getting to USE it. In that case, I have a mansion I'd like to sell you - only catch is, you're not allowed to live there!

Scenarios like that are usually cause for legal action - that is, unless you're happy to pay for a BMW 650 and drive a loaner or rental car instead. What if BMW indefinitely postpones making more N63 engines? Your car is depreciating, costing you MONEY, while you can't even drive it.

BMW's choice to go about slow production of the N63, or even to discontinue making them at ALL, is not the problem here. BMW has no obligation to you. The WARRANTY you purchased, however, has an obligation to repair your car. They're the ones essentially on the hook - and while I'm not an expert on extended car warranties, I'm sure they must contemplate unavailability of parts and what they need to do to "make it right" in that case (which they likely won't want to do if it's an expensive alternative).

Contact a lawyer immediately if you haven't done so already. You can also contact your state consumer protection agency or the FTC for some guidance. There are laws (such as the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975) that protect consumers against poorly written, executed, or deceptive warranties, as well. Part of that act, as an example, makes it illegal for a warranty to essentially be useless. So, if the warranty's response is "we can't help you because the part isn't available," that would arguably fall under deceptive practices - as the act includes inability to make good on the warranty part of the definition of deceptive practice.

Therefore, in order NOT to be considered deceptive, the warranty company would need an alternative course of action (backstop) that contemplated the unavailability of parts and essentially made you "whole" in a similar fashion. If they didn't, I could sell warranties all day long for Packards, only to deny every claim because... well, the parts aren't available. The FTC considers that deceptive practice - it's illegal.

So, I go back to this simple advice - seek out a lawyer and go after the warranty company. BMW may be trying to do the right thing for customers, but quite honestly, I don't think they have any real obligation. At some point, parts become unavailable, and as far as I'm aware, they're not obligated to any specific timeline to produce them, or even to produce them at all. Your warranty company is the only one with an obligation to you - you've paid them to ensure your car would be repaired if ever broken, and they're failing to deliver on that promise.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #24
N63f10550i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i msport

Any updates....they have had mine since first week of November
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
Roccaas
Mid life crisis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible F12

Garage List
LS Swap?

Really, I can’t read anymore about this, mine has 57K on it and a 3rd party warranty. I get chills now reading these posts or whenever the engine stumbles or grumbles.

Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:22 AM   #26
al1234
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by N63f10550i View Post
Any updates....they have had mine since first week of November

Bought a 2013 x6 with the n63 engine and it seized up on me within a month of driving it... didn't even put 600 miles on it. My 3rd party warranty said they'd cover it, I have my car at the shop at BMW waiting for them to submit the claim for a new engine... Have you not received any news on the production status of these new motors? I am trying to estimate how long I am going to wait.

Also what are you doing for a car currently?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
N63f10550i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i msport

I am waiting for a new engine been six months for me
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #28
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

6 months is around the average wait time. My Engine arrived middle of January 2018 and was completed on January 29th. Car blew engine at the end of August.. 6 months of loaners, BMW paid rentals..etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #29
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1234 View Post
Bought a 2013 x6 with the n63 engine and it seized up on me within a month of driving it... didn't even put 600 miles on it. My 3rd party warranty said they'd cover it, I have my car at the shop at BMW waiting for them to submit the claim for a new engine... Have you not received any news on the production status of these new motors? I am trying to estimate how long I am going to wait.

Also what are you doing for a car currently?
BMW should provide loaner or rental if they do the work.
They did for me..Had loaners from Aug to Nov.. Then two months of paid rental from BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #30
hunchobimmer5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyliving View Post
I have a 2012 BMW 650i, which I purchased used from Momentum BMW in Houston, TX back in Dec 2017. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty for that "just in case" security since the car had roughly 54K miles on it. The car was driven for about 4K miles before I took it in for some service light issues I kept getting - drive train, tire pressure, etc. They tell me the oil gasket has to be replaced and perform that service. The very next day I get my car back and start to hear a odd ticking sound when decelerating, around 3000 RPMs. Over the next 2 days that sound grew in intensity and I decided to drive the car over to the dealership - by the time I pulled up to the dealership the car knock was so loud that the SA asked me to turn if off immediately. He grabbed a veteran tech and had me turn on the car, and he immediately asked me to turn it off. He was certain it was failed engine and required a replacement.

7.5 MONTHS LATER....

My car is still sitting in the shop. I have been making payments on the car loan and I still have no ETA on a replacement engine. I have escalated with BMW of NA and they claim that since my car was part of the class action lawsuit, I have no recourse for action and they cannot do anything outside of the court ordered reparations - as a result I just have to wait.

I have owned several of their cars over the years and even motorcycles. I've been a die hard BMW fan the majority of my life. The lack of communications from BMW on replacement engines is a clear example of how company failures extend beyond their piss-poor engineering on these motors.

I'm chucking the deuce on BMW.

so what happened? did they replace your engine with a N63tu? if so how is it running? hit me up on private
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #31
RoadRunna
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650 gran coupe

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
This is very helpful. I have a similar situation going on right now and Immediately sought after legal counsel. Replacing the motor is very expensive and if a company agrees to take your money for a warranty they should take responsibility if there is no evidence you abused the car or neglected maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #32
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
After market warrantee guys jus wana make xtra $$$ expecting all to go ok for period ..

If got Bmw m/plan u sorted ..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #33
442_Tom
Registered
Rep
Drives: Olds 442, 650i

Thread resurrection! I've had my N63 equipped F13 for over 5 years and it runs well, except for excessive oil consumption, and valve cover leaks, and oil on cylinder walls above rings, and excessive heat that blew apart my turbo coolant hose Y and Ts.
My selling dealer also didnt disclose issues or CCP, just sold it 'certified'.
So my Q is - what value hit have we N63 owners taken? FYI I just completed the turbo coolant line leak 'fix', DIY, 3 hours and $50 in parts. Local stealer "profit center" wanted $2200. Beam me up Scotty!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #34
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

Warranties don't really matter. I have a transmission problem, torque converter to be specific. The probably that many of us have experienced around 1500-2000 RPMs where the car vibrates. Long story short BMW rep drove car with me and said "it is the torque converter, but it is within tolerance". Not exactly a blown engine but I am still under Manufacturer Warranty and they won't replace it. Get a lawyer? I don't have a few years for that.
Appreciate 0