BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #23
Qsilver7
Captain
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
373
Rep
849
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
...The waterfall interior of the 6 series was classic and timeless.
The f06/f12/f13 waterfall dash was a total "design win"...and will probably be one of the historical defining design elements of the 2nd iteration 6 series.

I don't follow any BMW models below the 5 series (1/2/3/4)...so was the waterfall dash only a 6 series thing...or did BMW use it in one of the lesser models like the 4GC?
__________________
2006 E53 X5 4.4 | 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`
BMW CCA Member #191509
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #24
thebmw
Post Advisor
103
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The f06/f12/f13 waterfall dash was a total "design win"...and will probably be one of the historical defining design elements of the 2nd iteration 6 series.

I don't follow any BMW models below the 5 series (1/2/3/4)...so was the waterfall dash only a 6 series thing...or did BMW use it in one of the lesser models like the 4GC?
All the rest of the last gen BMWs have usual BMW interiors with a difference in quality materials. None have the waterfall dash and it seems that none will anytime in the near future. It's all about digital and touch screens and buttons with squarish shapes now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #25
ezmaass
Major
ezmaass's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
1,478
Posts

Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
All the rest of the last gen BMWs have usual BMW interiors with a difference in quality materials. None have the waterfall dash and it seems that none will anytime in the near future. It's all about digital and touch screens and buttons with squarish shapes now.
Yes, the 6 was just stand-out in many ways design-wise. The waterfall dash, the larger swept headlights, the shark-nose, heavily raked tumblehome - it was just a combination of never-been-before, never-again design elements apparently. In some ways, that was true of the 6 that was previously discontinued, and not surprisingly, it's much beloved today.

I agree that "trendy" is probably a good way to describe many of the design choices of the 8 now. I do feel that the rear quarter was just a series of bad decisions. I really dislike how the rear window trim rises off the shoulder line - very Japanese and a dated design element if you ask me. In combination with the fastback, giving it a hatch-like appearance, it just lost a lot of elegance back there.
__________________
2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe | MSport | Exec Package | Driver Assist Plus | ACC Stop & Go | Adaptive Drive | B&O | Night Vision | Cold Weather | Active Seats
2015 Audi R8 V10 | Brilliant Red on Black | S-Tronic | Carbon Sideblades | Carbon Trim | Full Leather | Sport Exhaust | Illuminated Doorsills | I-Pod | Contrast Stitching
Previous: '14 550xi, '07 335i, '01 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
sixfiftyay
Private
11
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2013 Bmw 650I Gran Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

i've seen one in person. beautiful car. looks bigger and meaner than the 6.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #27
gjohnsen
New Member
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 640D Xdrive
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

I have driven the 850 coupe and its a very nice car - but no drama and few turning heads. Looks much better in pictures than in real life.

If you want drama and turning heads the new AMG GT 4 door coupe is the way to go. Looks a little boring in pictures, but in real life absolutely stunning. I hope it will be the same with the new Gran Coupe. Time will show.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
jjasonSU
Private First Class
55
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: 650i, NSX
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

It makes the 6 look a bit dated. I've got to respect the tech, the powertrain, and performance numbers.
But it simply doesn't have the presence and uniqueness the 6GC did when it came out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #29
hugo_nz
Private First Class
New Zealand
42
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Like the exterior, dislike the interior. Really not a fan of BMWs current design direction. The 6 cabin still remains one of the best looking BMW cabins to date.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #30
Duff Ace
FLORIDA 650i F06
United_States
33
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 650i GC
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Like the exterior, dislike the interior. Really not a fan of BMWs current design direction. The 6 cabin still remains one of the best looking BMW cabins to date.
Do you like the exterior over the 6 GC (F06)?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #31
thebmw
Post Advisor
103
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
It makes the 6 look a bit dated. I've got to respect the tech, the powertrain, and performance numbers.
But it simply doesn't have the presence and uniqueness the 6GC did when it came out.
Every new model makes the previous one look dated, especially when it has gimmicky new features like vents all over the place and new lines (or lack thereof). The 8GC is not a bad looking car at all. It's still the best looking sedan out there. Just not as good as the 6GC, as you stated.

I still think the lines of the E92 were better than any 4 series...and that is a 12+ year old body style. Too bad the tech is not up to today's norms.

The 6GC depreciated pretty hard. I think the 8GC will be worse.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST