BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Clunking in front end

Has anyone ever had a cluncking noise in the front end of their GC? I've got a 16' 640i GC and there is a clunking noise I notice at slow speeds, especially as I as I have the windows down and pull in or out of the garage. It's not under wty but the dealership said its likely the floating brake rotors?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Very hard to say as a myriad of problems can cause noises like you're describing. Is it happening only over bumps? Straight line? Only when turning?

Needless to say, you'll need someone to look at it. Some "typical" noises you might develop from the front-end suspension are usually tied to control arms going bad. If you hear noises typically over bumps and feel some play in the wheel, that could be the case. If it's happening on perfectly flat surfaces in a straight line, perhaps not.

Again, it'll be tough for anyone to diagnose over a forum, so I'd probably just get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

yup. Could be anything. If you really want to know and taking to a garage or getting under it and poking around doesn't do it you could try getting a set of chassis ears.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Very hard to say as a myriad of problems can cause noises like you're describing. Is it happening only over bumps? Straight line? Only when turning?

Needless to say, you'll need someone to look at it. Some "typical" noises you might develop from the front-end suspension are usually tied to control arms going bad. If you hear noises typically over bumps and feel some play in the wheel, that could be the case. If it's happening on perfectly flat surfaces in a straight line, perhaps not.

Again, it'll be tough for anyone to diagnose over a forum, so I'd probably just get it checked out.
Happening on both smooth and bumpu surfaces, but definitely at lower speeds, especially when backing out of the garage or pulling in.

My initial thought was control arm bushings as on the old e46's, e60's etc this was always an issue but I felt like i'd read they'd changed that design up so that this wouldn't be an ongoing problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep

Also, Not sure if this is related but between 35-40 I get a vibration, only at those speeds...I've had tires balanced too.
Appreciate 0