BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
FullThrottle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, F10 M5

Question Why change gap on Spark Plugs?

Hi All,

I will be getting new spark plugs soon after the vehicle is tuned. But I see people talking about gap-ing their spark plugs to .18. Can anyone explain why? Also what is the stock gap? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

I think the stock plug is around .030" and I brought mine down to .020 for my stage 2 set up. The reason for a tighter gap on the plugs is when you make more power, you're burning more fuel and you need the spark to be smaller and more concentrated. See below:

A wide gap creates a longer spark arc but without sufficient "juice" from your ignition system, (including amps), can be weak. A small intense spark is MUCH better than a big, weak spark, especially when dealing with richer fuel mixtures and more volumes of fuel being burned.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
FullThrottle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I think the stock plug is around .030" and I brought mine down to .020 for my stage 2 set up. The reason for a tighter gap on the plugs is when you make more power, you're burning more fuel and you need the spark to be smaller and more concentrated. See below:

A wide gap creates a longer spark arc but without sufficient "juice" from your ignition system, (including amps), can be weak. A small intense spark is MUCH better than a big, weak spark, especially when dealing with richer fuel mixtures and more volumes of fuel being burned.

OHHHHH, Awesome thanks, much appreciated brother!!
Appreciate 1