BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
clomeli21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Convertible

Rear diffuser and part of bumper taken! Insurance?

My rear diffuser was taken today along with a part of the bumper (above the exhaust tips). So bummed... looks naked from the rear.

Is this an insurance claim? Or am I SOL?
I have the invoices and pictures that I can show the claim person but not sure if that’s even allowed. Had heavy rain in my area last night while driving home so there’s a small chance it came apart while driving last night but no telling. I didn’t notice until today when I drove to the store.

Thanks in advance ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Karter_Brazy
Eurosteps
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 / MB W212 / BMW F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by clomeli21 View Post
My rear diffuser was taken today along with a part of the bumper (above the exhaust tips). So bummed... looks naked from the rear.

Is this an insurance claim? Or am I SOL?
I have the invoices and pictures that I can show the claim person but not sure if that’s even allowed. Had heavy rain in my area last night while driving home so there’s a small chance it came apart while driving last night but no telling. I didn’t notice until today when I drove to the store.

Thanks in advance ...
Damn I’m so sorry to hear that. I think it’s a theft, it looks like someone took it apart.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Definitely a theft. It's a relatively cheap part, like $200. Or you could upgrade to a cf diffuser
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Damn sorry to see that , Don’t go through insurance, The rear valance is like $200, but the lower carbon piece costs more , check the members classifieds there was a couple of lower diffusers for sale , The parts come off and go on real easy it’s 3 bolts and 2 push pin clips and everything else just snaps in, I can put it back together in less than 10 mins
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      05-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

That's pretty shocking, I wouldn't claim on insurance as you will pay more back in the long run. I would use as an opportunity to upgrade along with tips, while hoping the thieves next $h!t is a pineapple
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

It comes down to your deductible amount and estimated cost for repair. IMO, if it's around 50% (deductible/cost) or more, you should pay for it.

I am in the camp of claiming for insurance if the costs are justified. I mean, what's the whole damn point of paying for comprehensive insurance? I get that your rate could go up, but you have to manage how many claims you really make, and there's no known formula as everyone have different levels of coverage and history with their provider.

That said, based on what I see, I don't see any damage on the bumper. So you're looking at the diffuser, lower valance and a bunch of screws. Most expensive part of this world be painting it and finding the shop that can blend it properly. I would say expect about $1k if you source a used diffuser. If you do everything new, expect about $2k. So likely not worth claiming if your deductible is $500-$1000

You should inspect the underside to see if there's damage to the under tray. If it came off clean, then likely theft.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 05-27-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0