BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
TomaGo
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

BMW M6 Competition Family Test

Today my French Blog & Forum www.ma-bmw.com offers you in partnership with a French BMW dealership the "M6 Competition Pack Family test"

I made every effort to test it at best during 4 days: Woman and children on board, sun booked, WE in Normandy planned and camera fully charged.

After locking my driver's license in a safe place and recovering the keys of the monster, here I am driving a M6 Pack Compet '. I must admit that it is impressive, it is not the same world as the M4 tried previously. The car is imposing with its 4.90m long and 1.90m wide, not counting the 2055kg on the scale. The WE will not be too much for me to get used to the dimensions.

Let's go ?
Yes ! I go on board in the very enveloping seats with multiple settings. The seat is firm but hold is perfect. Bouton "Start", the 8 cylinders and 2 turbos starts in a sound that announces good times. The 4 exhausts sing well, the sound is typical of a V8.

The 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox is relatively smooth in Drive mode. As on the rest of the range M it does not offer the function of "rampage" and does not facilitate maneuvers to park precisely. It is not as comfortable as a classic car box. In cons part it is super nice on the road and shows no skating. The 7 speeds go in a flash with a demonic sport mode.

Direction to Normandy.
After a first stop at the pump, I enter the highway. As far as you can tell right now it is very very complicated to stay wisely at 130Km / h, on the one hand because the temptation is great and on the other hand because the accelerator is rather sensitive. A pressure of one centimeter makes you lose 3 points, 2 cm later you no longer have a license and once your foot on the floor you are propelled into a world that looks like a video game. Of course I did not do all this and so I drove to the regulator (a little).

More seriously the accelerations are monstrous and the departure after the toll is amazing. The motricity is crazy, I wonder how the 600h do to pass on the ground on the rear wheels. The 295mm wide P-Zero tires are excellent. It must be said that with 2 tons and 4 people on board the car is sitting well.

That makes noise ?
In strong acceleration each change of ratio is accompanied by a small denotation quite pleasant in Sport mode. Efficient mode is almost too quiet. If you like the noise you turn rather to a M3 / M4 Compet 'or even an X4 M40i, explosions when slowed down or retrograde are more present.

The exhaust is more oriented GT sports than super-sports but it sings well. You will not go unnoticed, however, the signature /// M is present.

An M6 on small roads or in the city is possible?
It's not the easiest car to use in town because of its size and power, but it's feasible. You will avoid the Sport mode that literally propels you away at the slightest acceleration. His favorite terrain is clearly the motorway, the national is also pleasant, the overtaking done in the blink of an eye.

Handling and traction
The car turns flat, whatever the speed, whatever the turn, it turns. The limit of the car must be well beyond my own limit. The traction is almost never faulted in the dry. The electronic locking differential works well.

What does the family think about it ?
From the outside the car seems huge, the 2 front seats are correct, in the back it is for children or adults not too tall. Note the absence of air conditioning in the back. The 300L trunk is neither huge nor accessible, but the miracle happens when the roof is tidy and your bags or small suitcases can still enter.

Sono Bang & Olufsen
The Bang & Olufsen Hi-Fi Surround System is absolutely amazing! The sound is as powerful as limpid, bass present well make the physical experience, I tested some HD songs on Deezer via the USB cable, it's perfect. The difference with what I have on the X4 (Option Hifi) is more than clear.

To give you an example, at 130km/h without roof, simply raise the sound to 60 or 70% to almost no longer hear the sound of the wind or the engine.

B&O speakers are very beautiful, especially the one that comes out of the dashboard when you put the music On.

What conclusions ?
As you can imagine, each trip in M6 gives the banana smile, it is better than Space Mountain especially with the head to the air and a beautiful sun. The whole family appreciated, although some will be happy to find the comfort and ease of use of the X4. In 2nd car the M6 ​​is an excellent choice.

The consumption of 13.5l/100 is almost reasonable for 600hp. In town count much more but it is not a surprise.

If I had to summarize in three words I would say "What a car!" it's really a huge car, more powerful than we can imagine, more brutal than anything I've driven so far but also more endearing with its mid GT mid Supercar side.

As all the good things have an end I returned the M6 ​​to retrieve my X4, a little the impression that my coach is turned into a pumpkin

Toma
www.ma-bmw.com

Sorry for my English, i'm French ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Great photos! It looks like you had a lot of fun.

I'm surprised you were able to do a multiple day road trip in a convertible with 4 people. But being skinny helps, and during the summer, you don't need a lot luggage space for clothes.
      06-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
TomaGo
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

You're right it is necessary to limit the luggage to leave room for the roof. Perfect in summer, complicated to go skiing.
Appreciate 0