BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #45
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Is 6 series your family car. My family found the rear space to be too cramped. We are all 6 footers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #46
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Is 6 series your family car. My family found the rear space to be too cramped. We are all 6 footers
Yes. There is only my wife and 17 year old daughter and as she has grown it had got so cramped for her in the back of my coupe that for the last 12 months they both insisted we use my wife's Astra for journeys together. However, they both seem pretty happy with the space in the Gran Coupe so it is now the first choice car again
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #47
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
I picked up my new car on Saturday and here it is

Drives nicely and am enjoying the Driver Assist Plus and HUD especially. However, I am not so keen on the chintzy matt aluminium trim around the side windows. My 2012 car was blacked out which looked so much better. Has anyone tried blacking out this chrome on their car? How did you do it?

It's missing the BMW floor mats, spare key and a service booklet. I ordered some proper mats from BMW (the most expensive floor mats I ever bought) and learned a replacement spare key will cost a whopping £278. I am trying to track down the spare key but the Previous Owner is a lease company which means I won't be able to get in touch with the previous driver directly. I also learned that service booklets are no longer issued with these cars as it's now all held electronically. But without knowing which BMW dealer last serviced it, I would not be able to get it filled in even if I had one. BMW in Warrington can't tell me where it was last serviced

Does anyone in the UK have an alternative, less costly spare key solution?
The service book is all on iDrive. Go to the section where it shows you when the next services are due, and at the top you can see previous services. I bought my car new, and didn’t get the booklet either.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #48
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I do like that chrome line trim, many dont, it may be possible to get it painted but i woundnt bother, to replace with the highgloss trim is very expensive. I perhaps get privacy glass tint fitted to finish it off.

you will find that this later model will drive quite different to your old 640d, i think theres perhaps been some suspension updates, the other nice bit is that the newer cars have a much more noticeable engine note amplified via sound module making the diesel sound abit more fruity. The larger diameter exhaust bore also ads more rear appearance over earlier cars

Was this not an AUC / BMW dealer purchase in which case new mats and the spare key would be a given ??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #49
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
I do like that chrome line trim, many dont, it may be possible to get it painted but i woundnt bother, to replace with the highgloss trim is very expensive. I perhaps get privacy glass tint fitted to finish it off.

you will find that this later model will drive quite different to your old 640d, i think theres perhaps been some suspension updates, the other nice bit is that the newer cars have a much more noticeable engine note amplified via sound module making the diesel sound abit more fruity. The larger diameter exhaust bore also ads more rear appearance over earlier cars

Was this not an AUC / BMW dealer purchase in which case new mats and the spare key would be a given ??
Maybe this is the reason I found the engine note of 640d I test drove much better than G30 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #50
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

I am going to get the Matt aluminium trim wrapped gloss black on Friday. £100. I might also get the kidney grill surrounds done leaving the slats chrome. £30.

I have indeed noticed the fruitier exhaust note, wider exhausts and a softer, quieter ride even though it is still on runflats. I also think the gear change is smoother and the car feels even quicker!

No I bought from an independent. I picked up some new BMW mats today and while there asked BMW to look up where the car was last serviced. I then called that dealership who helpfully told me the company which was running the car so i am now in touch with the previous driver. Hopefully he will find the spare key
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #51
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Not trying to hijack the post but I don't want to start another post.

Would cinnamon brown cheapen the interior of 640D gran Coupe or not? Would nappa leather with cognac colour worth the money?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #52
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Not trying to hijack the post but I don't want to start another post.

Would cinnamon brown cheapen the interior of 640D gran Coupe or not? Would nappa leather with cognac colour worth the money?
Its quiet an acquired taste and may hamper your future markey come sale time, but if you like it buy it. I had an e46 m3 with Kiwi leather, that was referred to as snot green, though in reality it looked more of a mustard colour that looked great
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #53
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am going to get the Matt aluminium trim wrapped gloss black on Friday. £100. I might also get the kidney grill surrounds done leaving the slats chrome. £30.

I have indeed noticed the fruitier exhaust note, wider exhausts and a softer, quieter ride even though it is still on runflats. I also think the gear change is smoother and the car feels even quicker!

No I bought from an independent. I picked up some new BMW mats today and while there asked BMW to look up where the car was last serviced. I then called that dealership who helpfully told me the company which was running the car so i am now in touch with the previous driver. Hopefully he will find the spare key

There is certainly some gearbox updated too, you will see that the gear change in sport mode is far more aggressive and at higher speeds and revs you get a nice judder when changing gear
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #54
a.s.uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d M sport

Sorry Mark
Not been on this for ages...
Sorry to hear your bad news, although it looks like it turned out well in the end...
Nice looking new motor...
Just quickly as an aside, were you aware you can insure your excess for not much money....
Both my wife and son have high excesses, to keep their premiums down... The excess is insured separately... Something like £30 for £600 excess and £40 for £1000 excess...
Has worked well for me in the past, ensuring our renewals are reasonable...
Just a thought....?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #55
m6fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

yikes, sorry for that I'm glad you're ok!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #56
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I picked up my new car on Saturday and here it is

Drives nicely and am enjoying the Driver Assist Plus and HUD especially. However, I am not so keen on the chintzy matt aluminium trim around the side windows. My 2012 car was blacked out which looked so much better. Has anyone tried blacking out this chrome on their car? How did you do it?

It's missing the BMW floor mats, spare key and a service booklet. I ordered some proper mats from BMW (the most expensive floor mats I ever bought) and learned a replacement spare key will cost a whopping £278. I am trying to track down the spare key but the Previous Owner is a lease company which means I won't be able to get in touch with the previous driver directly. I also learned that service booklets are no longer issued with these cars as it's now all held electronically. But without knowing which BMW dealer last serviced it, I would not be able to get it filled in even if I had one. BMW in Warrington can't tell me where it was last serviced

Does anyone in the UK have an alternative, less costly spare key solution?
congrats on new whip..you need that blue start button..lol, i am about to black out my trim with black gloss vinyl like i did on my Audi, not sure about there but any shop that does vinyl wrapping can do it. ranges from 100 US to 250 US depending on where you go.
Appreciate 0