BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

My "Classic" 650

Although I have not been to a dealer since my CPO warranty expired in June 2019, I still get the periodic service "deals" email. Among the deals was a new battery for $539, which made me laugh. But the last coupon was for 15% off service on any "Classic BMW", which was defined as any car 8 years old or older. My 2015 has an in-service date in mid-2014, and 2023s are out now, so I guess in our throw-away society the car I still think of as my "new" car now qualifies as a classic. And since my X3 is a 2014, I guess I'm like Jay Leno and can tell people I collect classic cars.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      11-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I do wonder if BMW is trying to change a bit. Just like the BMW Value Services they offer now for cars that are older than 60 months and/or have more than 60k miles.

They appear to be offering some services to those that may not be DIY’ers at kind of reasonable pricing to perhaps keep the owners “in-the-fold”. The value services appear to be offered to those that fall outside the initial extended services when the 1st warranty ends.

As I get older…these “value services” are becoming more tempting because I start dreading that cold concrete garage floor…and the struggle to get up off my little slider thingy to get under the car.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

The F06/F13 are classics, even before they were "old" by BMW standards. Every time I receive the 3 year/$199 oil change deal, I wonder if I should take it, especially since I get 2 oil changes/year due to mileage. But I refuse it because BMW oil sucks. The 5w30 is too thick when cold and too thin when hot (it is hot every single time it it at temperature assuming the N63). I have started using 0w40 and it is perfect on both ends. BMW does not stock or use 0w40, despite all of their oil leak and oil consumption issues! Are BMW engineers or marketing idiots...no, see below:

While I may save a few bucks with their deals, I will be replacing oil pans, gaskets, and engines a lot sooner than I wanted. Maybe this is what BMW is trying to ultimately do with their "value" marketing...brilliant on their part!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 12:05 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I do wonder if BMW is trying to change a bit. Just like the BMW Value Services they offer now for cars that are older than 60 months and/or have more than 60k miles.

They appear to be offering some services to those that may not be DIY’ers at kind of reasonable pricing to perhaps keep the owners “in-the-fold”. The value services appear to be offered to those that fall outside the initial extended services when the 1st warranty ends.

As I get older…these “value services” are becoming more tempting because I start dreading that cold concrete garage floor…and the struggle to get up off my little slider thingy to get under the car.
My "little slider thingy" is a flattened large carboard box I last bought something in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

They appear to be offering some services to those that may not be DIY'ers at kind of reasonable pricing to perhaps keep the owners "in-the-fold". The value services appear to be offered to those that fall outside the initial extended services when the 1st warranty ends.

As I get older…these "value services" are becoming more tempting because I start dreading that cold concrete garage floor…and the struggle to get up off my little slider thingy to get under the car.
My "little slider thingy" is a flattened large carboard box I last bought something in.
Having an actual creeper (I believe that's the correct term) makes it so much nicer to work under the car. I have one my grandfather made back in the day. Just needs some lube on the wheels every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
Having an actual creeper (I believe that's the correct term) makes it so much nicer to work under the car. I have one my grandfather made back in the day. Just needs some lube on the wheels every now and then.
Yeah, but under a low car like a 650 on just ramps it would get real tight quickly with the added height of a creeper. Plus the carboard catches random oil drips.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I prefer the upright position so I can read the text saying "Your car is ready".
Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50
      11-20-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
Yeah, but under a low car like a 650 on just ramps it would get real tight quickly with the added height of a creeper. Plus the carboard catches random oil drips.
You have a few good points there. I generally use my Quick Jack lift to get more room. For something quick and easy like and oil change it is definitely easier to just use ramps for sure. And the cardboard drip catcher is a good touch.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
I prefer the upright position so I can read the text saying "Your car is ready".
I think the full text of the text is "Your car is ready. Please know that the tech was thinking about his fantasy football team, so he replaced the drain plug before the old oil had all drained out, he didn't bother to replace the crush washer, he overtightened the drain plug, let oil run all over the belly pan when he removed the filter, and stripped two belly pans screws. Thank you for your business."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #10
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the full text of the text is "Your car is ready. Please know that the tech was thinking about his fantasy football team, so he replaced the drain plug before the old oil had all drained out, he didn't bother to replace the crush washer, he overtightened the drain plug, let oil run all over the belly pan when he removed the filter, and stripped two belly pans screws. Thank you for your business."
Yeah, even if the price is right, I generally prefer to do my own maintenance for this reason. Nobody cares about your vehicle like you do.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

Not all mechanics are incompetent. And I have yet to experience any of those problems with an oil change.
Appreciate 1