BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Front mount USA license plates

I was advised by the boys in blue here in Texas, that it is not acceptable to have the license plate visible in the windshield but that it has to be mounted front and center. I have had it in the windshield lower right for 3 years now without a problem.

Let's see how you have yours and suggestions
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

I have this. It fits inside the front grill.

https://carbonio.com/pages/product-r...5~md_m6~pv_all
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I use the Sto N Sho removable bracket that mounts under the top of the front scoop, so that when the plate is off you don't see anything, but you can attach it in a couple of seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y43QX4N/

It says it's an M5 product, but fits the M6 perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
I use the Sto N Sho removable bracket that mounts under the top of the front scoop, so that when the plate is off you don't see anything, but you can attach it in a couple of seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y43QX4N/

It says it's an M5 product, but fits the M6 perfectly.
I use this also on my jeep until the police mandate me to - it is fantastic
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

I just pay the $90 ticket every 3 years lol.

If I was going to look into getting something though I would probably get the front tow hook plate holder.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
dennisd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 535i

I just use the front plate mount that screws to the front bumper in the center. I have a personalized black plate and use a black plate frame. It doesn't bother me because of the dark color plate on a dark color car. Most people don't even pay attention to it. I'd rather not give the police such an easy a reason to stop me. To me it looks MUCH better than the tow hook set up, that is a real eyesore. And carrying your plate on the dash in the windshield... ya' that looks so much better (rolling eyes).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I write from many years of toil on this topic, my recommendation in order of preference:

1. Pay the fine and move along. I've been ticketed 4 times in the last 10 for no plates in the same jurisdiction. It's the price for vanity. $160 in aggregate, whatever.

2. Tow hook plate mount. They all mount the same way, and they all look funky. Over time it'll sag and your plate becomes crooked.

3. Double check under your bumper to see if holes are pre-drilled. My plate holes are pre-drilled. You can't see them, because, they're on the underside of the bumper. I don't know how OEM frames are mounted, but it appears they mount on the underside of the bumper with a tab tension, but likely will touch part of the bumper.

4. Use plate mounts on the lower grill. Ergh, this is my pet peeve. I don't understand why "car people" do this. The lower grill is designed for airflow for your radiator. A plate covers about 30% of the area that's critical for the cooling function of the powertrain. Plus it looks terrible and out of place.

5. Keep the plate on your front dash. Another pet peeve of mine. You're essentially putting the equivalent of a metal knife at your face level on your dash and waiting for an accident to project it into the occupant space. Smart, very smart.
      03-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
plm
Private
United_States
Rep

1b. Sto N Show, and leave the plate in your trunk where it can't hit you in the face. If you get stopped then "you took it off while you were washing the car" and can reattach it in 10 seconds. Plus there's nothing visible on the front of the car as it mounts to the underside of the air intake, and even when you do have the plate on it's mostly filling the solid area of the bumper between the air intake and the kidney grilles.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
1b. Sto N Show, and leave the plate in your trunk where it can't hit you in the face. If you get stopped then "you took it off while you were washing the car" and can reattach it in 10 seconds. Plus there's nothing visible on the front of the car as it mounts to the underside of the air intake, and even when you do have the plate on it's mostly filling the solid area of the bumper between the air intake and the kidney grilles.
do you know how easy it is to remove the OEM plate mount after it's installed? Do you need to take off the bumper or is it some type of tab tension thing you can poke to release the mount?

Looks like there's a tab you can push:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-8...uine-bmw-part/

This picture indicates you need to drill holes on front of the bumper too?

Last edited by Flying Ace; 03-03-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
plm
Private
United_States
Rep

That one looks like it screws into the front bumper at the top and then clips under to secure it. The one I use has a metal bracket that's 3M-taped and screwed to the underside of the front bumper, and it has two holes for rods to slide through, and a quick release mechanism. The plate holder has the rods attached to it, so when it's installed it looks completely OEM, but you can reach into the air intake, pull the quick release, and pop off the plate leaving only the slimline bracket on the underside of the air intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 05:55 AM   #11
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I write from many years of toil on this topic, my recommendation in order of preference:

1. Pay the fine and move along. I've been ticketed 4 times in the last 10 for no plates in the same jurisdiction. It's the price for vanity. $160 in aggregate, whatever.

2. Tow hook plate mount. They all mount the same way, and they all look funky. Over time it'll sag and your plate becomes crooked.

3. Double check under your bumper to see if holes are pre-drilled. My plate holes are pre-drilled. You can't see them, because, they're on the underside of the bumper. I don't know how OEM frames are mounted, but it appears they mount on the underside of the bumper with a tab tension, but likely will touch part of the bumper.

4. Use plate mounts on the lower grill. Ergh, this is my pet peeve. I don't understand why "car people" do this. The lower grill is designed for airflow for your radiator. A plate covers about 30% of the area that's critical for the cooling function of the powertrain. Plus it looks terrible and out of place.

5. Keep the plate on your front dash. Another pet peeve of mine. You're essentially putting the equivalent of a metal knife at your face level on your dash and waiting for an accident to project it into the occupant space. Smart, very smart.

#4 is wrong. ive never overheated. kidney grills provide more than enough cooling. my tuner says it doesnt matter as well.
Appreciate 0