BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #9593
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I basically gave my ex a month to figure out her own situation. But it also been basically saying I was done before I said I was finally done.

I didn't give up my bed though, it's 2021 it's time to move beyond that chivalry shit. She moved into one of my guest rooms but if I didn't have them she's either sleeping in the same bed on the other side or crashing with somebody else.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #9594
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Hey friends, time to ask a question I wish I didn't have to.

How do you break up with someone that moved in with you? There's no financial obligation from her, or anything tying us together financially (lease under my name; bought a few articles of furniture together but am willing to pay her back if asked). But she's from another state, and it'd take her three days (at least) to go back and I doubt she's keen on doing that trip alone.

What do you think is the right thing to do? I don't want to just put someone on the curb, that's cruel - but I don't have any interest in continuing this relationship, either.
I hope you've learned something from this. It was a bad idea from the get go. Change the locks and call it a day
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #9595
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I hope you've learned something from this. It was a bad idea from the get go. Change the locks and call it a day
Brutal!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #9596
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:

How do you break up with someone that moved in with you? There's no financial obligation from her, or anything tying us together financially (lease under my name; bought a few articles of furniture together but am willing to pay her back if asked). But she's from another state, and it'd take her three days (at least) to go back and I doubt she's keen on doing that trip alone.

What do you think is the right thing to do? I don't want to just put someone on the curb, that's cruel - but I don't have any interest in continuing this relationship, either.
I'm sorry Pickle. Better to find out now though. Just be straight with her. Tell her you will help anyway you can. I imagine she has to figure out where to go? Or does she have parents to go back to? This can complicate things. You don't want to throw her to the curb, but you also don't want open ended while she decides where to go.

Keep us posted. Good luck.
I agree with this. Just have the hard conversation with her. Break-ups are never easy, but honesty is always the least convoluted route to take. You'll feel better being straight with her and she'll never be able to lump you into the category of men who led her on and who were dishonest.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15581.00
King Rudi13152.00
      06-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #9597
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sorry Pickle. Better to find out now though. Just be straight with her. Tell her you will help anyway you can. I imagine she has to figure out where to go? Or does she have parents to go back to? This can complicate things. You don't want to throw her to the curb, but you also don't want open ended while she decides where to go.

Keep us posted. Good luck.
The conversation is happening, the last week has been fucky to put it nicely. I think we both knew this was going to happen some time this week. I'm leaving work in 20 mins and will elaborate latest tomorrow morning on the full details.

I am willing to help her out in any capacity I can. I don't want to throw her to the curb, but frankly I'm past a point where that won't change anything. The conversation is happening tonight. Her dad is in another country, and probably would prefer living with me over with mom. I think her college apartment's lease is starting soon/already started, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
just hang on on a second....what happen?
your throwing the towel in so fast??
its been almost 11 months, and nothing really changed. partially my mistake to jump into a relationship real quick. i will explain more shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Sorry about that,I said I'm here to help I know it's not easy but a gentle eye to eye with her just coming out that it's best that she moves as 'it doesn't work' then depending on what she says follow the next step in offering to transport her and belongings to a destination or a transport terminus if far away giving her time to take it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Turkish Pickle I'm sorry to hear sir. The inquisitive side of me wants to know what happened, but it isn't any of our business. You two made a cute couple and I know how much effort you put into this. Get at me if you need advice or an ear.

This. Be honest, transparent, firm but compassionate and don't waiver on your decision. Offer to pay for her part of the furniture expenses, don't wait for her to ask. I'm assuming that she will go back to CA to stay with her parents?
Thank you sir, much appreciated. I'll text you later tonight too. I should bring up the furniture stuff, you're right. I think she has a place in CA for herself. I'm honestly waiting on seeing what she has to say tonight - us breaking up won't be a surprise to either to us but I'm curious to see if she'll break up and save me the trouble of arranging logistics or not (as shitty as that sounds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Sorry to hear things didn't work out. I hope you're doing OK.

The answer to your question is you sit her down and have a very candid, very adult conversation and let her know that you're not interested in continuing the relationship. The lease is in your name, so she at least will know that she is the one that needs to move out. I'm assuming things are somewhat amicable and it's just not working out.

The right thing to do is to give her an appropriate amount of time to find somewhere to go. She's the lady, so if you're in a one bedroom place she gets the bed and you sleep on the couch. Yes, it will be uncomfortable and tense for a little while.

BTDT. Good luck.
Amicable? Debatable, but we are both aware it is not working out. Today's the day I think it is going to be admitted by both of us, if not only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
I basically gave my ex a month to figure out her own situation. But it also been basically saying I was done before I said I was finally done.

I didn't give up my bed though, it's 2021 it's time to move beyond that chivalry shit. She moved into one of my guest rooms but if I didn't have them she's either sleeping in the same bed on the other side or crashing with somebody else.
I've been hinting at how I've been done as well. I'm not even about the chivalry stuff, I have a couch and a futon and an air mattress she can enjoy. I don't know about a month because most of our problems I feel like have arisen from spending too much time in close proximity with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I agree with this. Just have the hard conversation with her. Break-ups are never easy, but honesty is always the least convoluted route to take. You'll feel better being straight with her and she'll never be able to lump you into the category of men who led her on and who were dishonest.
it is happening! either tonight, or tomorrow. i think she is very aware that it is happening within the next 24 hours, as well. i have no desire to play anyone, if anything ive been playing myself this'll work out.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Sedan_Clan24829.00
M5Rick58907.50
      06-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #9598
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
The conversation is happening, the last week has been fucky to put it nicely. I think we both knew this was going to happen some time this week. I'm leaving work in 20 mins and will elaborate latest tomorrow morning on the full details.

I am willing to help her out in any capacity I can. I don't want to throw her to the curb, but frankly I'm past a point where that won't change anything. The conversation is happening tonight. Her dad is in another country, and probably would prefer living with me over with mom. I think her college apartment's lease is starting soon/already started, though.

its been almost 11 months, and nothing really changed. partially my mistake to jump into a relationship real quick. i will explain more shortly

Thank you sir, much appreciated. I'll text you later tonight too. I should bring up the furniture stuff, you're right. I think she has a place in CA for herself. I'm honestly waiting on seeing what she has to say tonight - us breaking up won't be a surprise to either to us but I'm curious to see if she'll break up and save me the trouble of arranging logistics or not (as shitty as that sounds).

Amicable? Debatable, but we are both aware it is not working out. Today's the day I think it is going to be admitted by both of us, if not only me.

I've been hinting at how I've been done as well. I'm not even about the chivalry stuff, I have a couch and a futon and an air mattress she can enjoy. I don't know about a month because most of our problems I feel like have arisen from spending too much time in close proximity with each other.

it is happening! either tonight, or tomorrow. i think she is very aware that it is happening within the next 24 hours, as well. i have no desire to play anyone, if anything ive been playing myself this'll work out.
its always best to be true to yourself and then to your partner, you are doing the right thing by letting her know. No need to stretch things out if its not working out.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #9599
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

How'd it go Turkish Pickle ?
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #9600
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I wanted to ask earlier but didn't want to ask at the same time. Thank you for being "that guy" for me Joe. Quite curious myself as how things went.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #9601
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:

This is something I did, with my GF at the time of 6 years. She moved down from MI to NC with me, but things never got better and was constant arguing over nonsense. One day couldn't take it anymore and started the conversation. It wasn't fun, but things ran their course.

What I did, was still work with her. Gave her time to figure out an apartment, helped her move, made sure everything was squared away and that she was safe in her new arrangement. We hung out until she found someone new, then that was that.

Do you have the ability to help her move? Sure you might have to take time off work, but it's a gesture that can at least not leave her out to dry. We're all people at the end of the day, and just because things don't work out, doesn't mean you can't support them while things get worked out.
Appreciate 8
      06-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #9602
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to ask earlier but didn't want to ask at the same time. Thank you for being "that guy" for me Joe. Quite curious myself as how things went.
As was I. And reading between the lines on perhaps what her mother was like, and if its genetical / hereditary, I also wanted to make sure the young guy was still in the land of the living.

Calling cops in T minus 3 days if we don't hear from the guy...I figure his corpse will still be recognizable at that point.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #9603
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
As was I. And reading between the lines on perhaps what her mother was like, and if its genetical / hereditary, I also wanted to make sure the young guy was still in the land of the living.

Calling cops in T minus 3 days if we don't hear from the guy...I figure his corpse will still be recognizable at that point.
I sent him a PM this morning to see how he was doing. Crickets....

I hope he's OK.
vreihen1614906.00
Dang3r12503.00
      06-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #9604
Wild_Will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Hurucan Evo

I don't date, just keep a 5-10 person rotation and enjoy what's out there. Dating is useless now with all these online dating apps, to easy for people to cheat with so many options.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #9605
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Will View Post
I don't date, just keep a 5-10 person rotation and enjoy what's out there. Dating is useless now with all these online dating apps, to easy for people to cheat with so many options.
Do you need a wing man?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      06-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #9606
Wild_Will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Hurucan Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Will View Post
Do you need a wing man?[/QUOTE]

Any time, I am sure we could learn from each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #9607
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

Quote:

I hope he's OK.
Lemme check in with him. I'll report back.
Appreciate 3
      06-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #9608
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
its always best to be true to yourself and then to your partner, you are doing the right thing by letting her know. No need to stretch things out if its not working out.
Yeah, I think we both failed on that. As we got to talking it became apparent that she wasn't doing good by being with me in this relationship, either.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I hope he's OK.
I'm ok! Means a lot that you guys are concerned about my well being, much appreciated. I am alive (so far), I understand the concerns through her mom, as lately they have been elevated for me too. Also big red flag to note that online people have been concerned about my wellbeing through a break up. Probably should've caught that before she moved in with me.

I walk in from work and the tension is in the air. Conversation starts off by her asking if I wanted to be with her. I said yes to hear what she had to say. I heard what I wasn't giving her as a boyfriend. I told on what I was expecting out of a girlfriend. There was a surprising amount of overlap. It went "south" when I asked her to describe what she loved about me and why she was trying to work things out still. It really hit me that I was not getting inspired to be and do better by her. I'm glad she was getting that out of me, but I wasn't. Went from there, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
This is something I did, with my GF at the time of 6 years. She moved down from MI to NC with me, but things never got better and was constant arguing over nonsense. One day couldn't take it anymore and started the conversation. It wasn't fun, but things ran their course.

What I did, was still work with her. Gave her time to figure out an apartment, helped her move, made sure everything was squared away and that she was safe in her new arrangement. We hung out until she found someone new, then that was that.

Do you have the ability to help her move? Sure you might have to take time off work, but it's a gesture that can at least not leave her out to dry. We're all people at the end of the day, and just because things don't work out, doesn't mean you can't support them while things get worked out.
So about this - it's kinda sticky. I asked her what she wanted to do, she said she'd want to stay the weekend to work things out for herself. Inflated the air mattress I got when I first moved in, gave a few pillows, and we've been antisocial with each other since. Had dinner last night after officially ending stuff at her favorite pizza place, I think I'm helping her pack her car tomorrow/sunday.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24829.00
vreihen1614906.00
King Rudi13152.00
      06-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #9609
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Hide the kitchen knives
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      06-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #9610
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I think we both failed on that. As we got to talking it became apparent that she wasn't doing good by being with me in this relationship, either.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I hope he's OK.
I'm ok! Means a lot that you guys are concerned about my well being, much appreciated. I am alive (so far), I understand the concerns through her mom, as lately they have been elevated for me too. Also big red flag to note that online people have been concerned about my wellbeing through a break up. Probably should've caught that before she moved in with me.

I walk in from work and the tension is in the air. Conversation starts off by her asking if I wanted to be with her. I said yes to hear what she had to say. I heard what I wasn't giving her as a boyfriend. I told on what I was expecting out of a girlfriend. There was a surprising amount of overlap. It went "south" when I asked her to describe what she loved about me and why she was trying to work things out still. It really hit me that I was not getting inspired to be and do better by her. I'm glad she was getting that out of me, but I wasn't. Went from there, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post

So about this - it's kinda sticky. I asked her what she wanted to do, she said she'd want to stay the weekend to work things out for herself. Inflated the air mattress I got when I first moved in, gave a few pillows, and we've been antisocial with each other since. Had dinner last night after officially ending stuff at her favorite pizza place, I think I'm helping her pack her car tomorrow/sunday.
Shoot me your info in case you come up missing. I'll call in the calvary.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      06-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #9611
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Pretty please - can you play "enter sandman" and really listen to the lyrics just before you fall asleep? Bonus points for blasting it out loud so she can hear and worry about your mental state!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      06-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #9612
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Here

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #9613
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

:

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #9614
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the first point. It's easy to say it's the other person, and hard to reflect on ourselves and the things we need to improve on as individuals. Learn from it, be better from it.

It will be like that, there's no easy way of breaking things off when living together. Honestly one of the shittiest feelings I've ever had. However, the shitty feelings struggling through every other issue was no longer a key point of stress in life. Keep your head up, do what you can to be cordial and accommodating so you both can move on with your lives on a "positive" note. Good things come to those who put good out.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58907.50