BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #23
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
It is not a ticket unless a law enforcement officer hands it to you and you sign it.
I don't know about the first part, but that last part is not true.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #24
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

Same rules apply to Speed cameras as well, since they are becoming more prevalent in and around the 5 boroughs.
Don't even get me started. Now that they just about doubled the number of cameras while we were in lockdown, they are lowering the speed limits. Hylan Blvd, which goes from one end of Staten Island to the other, was previously 40 mph in most areas. The entire Blvd is now being reduced to 30 mph....
      06-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #25
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

Same rules apply to Speed cameras as well, since they are becoming more prevalent in and around the 5 boroughs.
Don't even get me started. Now that they just about doubled the number of cameras while we were in lockdown, they are lowering the speed limits. Hylan Blvd, which goes from one end of Staten Island to the other, was previously 40 mph in most areas. The entire Blvd is now being reduced to 30 mph....
I feel your pain!

It's so frustrating... and they justify it by claiming it will reduce pedestrian injuries by vehicles.

Instead of them just crossing at intersections, not riding bicycles through red lights and paying attention to their surroundings instead of buried in their phones...

Does this give me the right to tell people to get off my lawn, now?

It's even worse in the DMV area ( I travel there often for work) they must be making a fortune on those speed cameras, because after my first one at 120 bucks, I simply move over to the far right lane and hang my head in shame while not exceeding 5 miles over the limit in an X6M designed to handle speeds well above 40 MPH on a three lane parkway, while being passed by Hyundai's and Kias at envy inducing speeds
      06-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #26
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I got one a while back and it was nearly impossible to appeal. The company operating the camera system is judge and jury. They were since removed all over South Florida and I believe they are illegal in FL now. Good riddance. Makes no sense to ticket someone for creeping through a right turn on red when no traffic is coming while letting idiots drive around while staring at their phones without some automated way to catch them. Enforcement needs to be balanced not absolute.
You cannot justify bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #27
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
You cannot justify bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior.
Creeping through a right turn in red when no traffic is approaching is bad behavior that requires strict enforcement? Sorry, but that’s idiotic and solving a “problem” that doesn’t need solving while other problems with real consequences go unsolved.
2000cs3496.50
      06-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #28
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
I don't know about the first part, but that last part is not true.
In Texas you have to sign the moving violation citation, otherwise you get arrested.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #29
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Just get a good RD like the Uniden R3 that has updates with those Speed and RL Cameras... Worth their weight in GOLD I tell ya'. Lol
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7558.50
      06-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #30
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Just get a good RD like the Uniden R3 that has updates with those Speed and RL Cameras... Worth their weight in GOLD I tell ya'. Lol
I appreciate this post but don't condone speeding or going through red lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:17 AM   #31
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
I think it's time to update my Valentine one. It has served me well!
Appreciate 1
cooolone2625.00
      06-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #32
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

I received a speed enforcement camera ticket in the mail and resd that the citation doesnt mean anything until you are officially served by a server or an officer. After 90 days it is dismissed.

So i waited until almost the 90 days when an officer came to my house and served my son with the ticket. I then replied to the citation with a copy of my drivers license and stated it was not me driving. Ticket was thrown out. It was me clearly driving, but i had read that it is pretty hard for a judge to say 100% that is you. Innocent until proven guilty and it doesnt appear a photo enforcement camera is clear enough to prove guilty.

In AZ they send you a picture of the driver, license plate, and a video is posted online. If you pay yhe ticket, it will absolutely show up on your recird and we have these cameras all over Chandler AZ
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      06-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #33
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I have been against these cameras from day one, but I’ve changed my position after all the police issues over the past few years. I really don’t like the idea of police making traffic stops, especially for minor violations (over the line, rolling right turn on red, etc). It is a waste of expensive and valuable police time, and puts officers in danger these days.

That said, I’d like to see some leniency in these red light and speeding cameras. If they enforce/cite to the letter, they just piss people off. IMO the idea is to regulate (“police”) the flow of traffic and keep it safe, not to create a gotcha or revenue scam.

How do self-driving cars handle this? Do they jam the brakes or slide through the light? If a ticket is issued, can it be sent to the software engineer who programmed the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #34
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
In Texas you have to sign the moving violation citation, otherwise you get arrested.
That's a peculiarity of Texas. I've gotten speeding tickets in at least 5 states and none involved signatures.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #35
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I appreciate this post but don't condone speeding or going through red lights.
It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with not participating in the hidden tax revenue stream that these methods represent!
The speed camera detectors and the RL placement in the GPS downloaded maps keeps your hard earned $ in your pocket!

But on Speeding? Really? So you're saying you never, EVER exceed posted speed limits? Hmmmm?

That's like an employment interview when they ask if you ever stole anything in your life! Only a liar says they haven't!
O.o

People who own RD's aren't "speeders" or crazy nuts running lights! That's akin to people who own firearms are all "Gun Nuts" so take it down a notch or two. The suggestion was from a good place. I usually go with what the traffic flow allows, as being in NY congestion prevents anything but (normally). But that doesn't matter, the traps are out there, and so are those RL Cameras. One instance, years ago, I got one, it was pouring out, cats& dogs, monsoon like! I was following traffic and a light changed "FAST" definitely and without a doubt faster than other lights I have ejust encountered. I had a choice, slam my brakes and stop for the light, or brake and safely roll through light but not stop unsafely. Well the flashes went off and I knew I got tagged! I could've fought the ticket, but I just paid it because my time is worth more than wasting it in court fighting! But the point is twofold. One is that these RL Cameras have already been exposed for what they are, and it has nothing to do with safety! Second is they do what they do, and I'll now do what I need to in order to prevent them from sticking their arms any further down into my pockets than need be!

Last edited by cooolone2; 06-26-2021 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #36
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Whoa, easy. Look at my sig
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #37
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Whoa, easy. Look at my sig
He may think you're a rich doctor...

Not a Department of corrections officer
      02-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #38
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Yesterday, I turned right on a very late yellow in Beverly Hills and was very surprised by very bright flashing lights. I have not received the ticket, but am confident that it is forthcoming.

I intend to fight it. Many must, judging by the plethora of attorneys advertising online. $49.00! Success guaranteed or you don’t pay!

Does anyone have experience with this? I’d like to avoid hiring the wrong lawyer…

Thanks in advance!
I'm a little late but is this the one going east on Wilshire in front of Beverly Hilton at Whittier lights? I got one last month and received it in the mail with 4 photos attached at the bottom from every angle.

Were you able to fight? Did you work with Ticket Clinic?
Appreciate 1
KB30052.00
      02-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #39
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
I then replied to the citation with a copy of my drivers license and stated it was not me driving. Ticket was thrown out. It was me clearly driving, but i had read that it is pretty hard for a judge to say 100% that is you.
Are you saying you submitted a document saying the driver was not you when, in reality, you were driving? If yes, you don't see how this could be a problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 06:43 PM   #40
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
There have been other situations where jurisdictions were/are using the red light cameras as another revenue stream. As such the length of the yellows were shortened causing more tickets to be generated. The other side effect of red light cameras are more wrecks than they might have prevented as people slam on their brakes versus risking a ticket when the light goes yellow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree they should come back. When the controversy was going on, some state legislator said something like "how'd you like to open your mailbox and find a ticket for running a red light?" Someone should have told him, how'd you like to answer your phone a find out someone ran a red light and killed someone close to you.
There's the rub. RLC's were removed here after the court found out that the yellows had been shortened by at least a half second. There is a requirement that the yellow is to be 1 second for every 10 miles per hour of the speed limit. RLC's are nothing more than automatic revenue generators and assume guilt, just like speed cameras.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #41
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
The new thing in NY is the speed cameras also have sound meters and are ticketing those with loud exhausts.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/new-...uffler-ticket/
vreihen1615187.00
      02-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Not a fan of speeding cameras but red lights? Come on guys, it's INSANELY dangerous, no excuses for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #43
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Not a fan of speeding cameras but red lights? Come on guys, it's INSANELY dangerous, no excuses for it.
By no means am I condoning blowing red lights but the cameras suck. They shorten the yellows. Even if the light was yellow when you crossed into the intersection, if you don't clear the intersection by the time the light turns red FLASH, it's ticket time.

So, people freak and slam on their brakes at the yellow or even when the ticker for the countdown is at 3, 2, or 1. Lots of rear end accidents at these intersections.
zb26031055.50
      02-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
The new thing in NY is the speed cameras also have sound meters and are ticketing those with loud exhausts.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/new-...uffler-ticket/
I don't love loud exhausts, but damn, talk about big brother. They're not only watching, but apparently they're listening too. Be careful what you say out there. It might be recorded.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15693.50
zb26031055.50