BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Apple CarPlay upgrade for 2014 F12

One of the options I really missed in my 2014 BMW was Apple CarPlay. I recently installed BimmerTech’s MMI Apple CarPlay upgrade and have been generally happy with it. It isn’t as good as a touchscreen implementation, but at a fraction of the price of a full replacement with an OEM head unit and display, I’ve found it very usable, and the ability to have Waze on my factory display has been invaluable. The wireless connectivity has been very good. I’ve only had a few instances where it took a while to connect. One downside is that if you’ve coded your car to show the apple playlists in your head up display that functionality is lost when running through this upgrade. I’ve found that to be an acceptable trade off. The installation video they post online was more than adequate and the installation took me less than an hour.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I travel a lot for work and have found carplay in a lot of the rentals very helpful. I started looking around and recently found this but have been looking at the bimmertech's as well. It is a bit more pricier but I do like the integration of this one a bit more.

https://motivesupplies.nl/product/na...e-f06-f12-f13/
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #3
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I travel a lot for work and have found carplay in a lot of the rentals very helpful. I started looking around and recently found this but have been looking at the bimmertech's as well. It is a bit more pricier but I do like the integration of this one a bit more.

https://motivesupplies.nl/product/na...e-f06-f12-f13/
I agree, it is pricey, but I purchased mine during the Black Friday sale and I believe I got an additional 10% off.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:19 AM   #4
EdwinDorchester
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

This is all you need. Everyone else marks it up. I did this on my 4 series. It was a bitch to install. That’s because I’m a fool and didn’t watch the tutorials before starting. Hahaha. But once I got the tools I needed it was relatively easy. The only objectively tricking thing is fitting this new box in the space with the head unit. Takes a few tries.

It works perfectly. I didn’t like however that it piped audio through aux. I like my audio high quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084M1M4P9...CVAHRD9YTZ0DB0
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      05-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinDorchester View Post
This is all you need. Everyone else marks it up. I did this on my 4 series. It was a bitch to install. That’s because I’m a fool and didn’t watch the tutorials before starting. Hahaha. But once I got the tools I needed it was relatively easy. The only objectively tricking thing is fitting this new box in the space with the head unit. Takes a few tries.

It works perfectly. I didn’t like however that it piped audio through aux. I like my audio high quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084M1M4P9...CVAHRD9YTZ0DB0
Looks like you found a better deal. BimmerTech is much more expensive, but you also get a tech support line you can call if you have any issues. Having said that, had I found the one you referenced I probably would have gone that way as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #6
EdwinDorchester
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajtrader View Post
Looks like you found a better deal. BimmerTech is much more expensive, but you also get a tech support line you can call if you have any issues. Having said that, had I found the one you referenced I probably would have gone that way as well.
Yeah Bimmertech is absurdly marked up. I always look at what Bimmertech is offering then go and find the source of the part for half the price. Now you know.😉
Appreciate 0