BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
tericm
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Limited

Advice needed on purchase, oil issue - long

Hello all,
First post and I would like your advice. First BMW.

I purchased a 2016 BMW 640i Convertible this week, 54K miles, all M packages, from a reputable dealer who owns a Lexus and BMW dealership. Prior to the car being available for sale, it was serviced by the BMW dealership.

I test drove it for about 15 minutes around local roads, checked it over afterwards and everything appeared to be fine. While on the way home I was traveling on the interstate and cruising along at about 75mph and the “Low oil, add a quart” came on, I thought that they probably didn’t fill it up when it was serviced. So, I slowed down and continued to drive, after another 5-6 miles the “Low oil pressure, pullover or risk engine damage” warning appeared, luckily I was passing a Rest Area and immediately ducked in and shut the car engine off. When I stopped, I could smell burning oil and saw smoke. I opened the hood and there was oil all over the top of the engine and dripping down onto the ground. My friend who was following me saw something on the windshield and then realized it was oil from my car. It was after hours and the dealership was closed. I called the salesman man and he stated I did the right thing by immediately stopping and he had me call BMW Roadside assistance to come get the car. (That is an entire story by itself). The next day the salesman called and said that a technician made a rookie mistake and over tightened the oil dome cap, which created a gap, and oil was spraying out from there once the engine got hot when I was drive at interstate speeds.

The engine has since been “scoped” and fully diagnosed, it was determined that there wasn’t any internal damage done to the engine. They are changing the filter, dome cap, gasket and belts on the car, along with a full cleaning, and detailing of the car. I stopped my down payment check, and they took the car back, but said I can still purchase it if I wanted to, as it is OK.

The car was originally purchased As-Is due to it being out of the warranty period. It is a beautiful car and I really loved the 50 minutes I got to drive it, well at least the first 40. ��

My questions are:
Should I still purchase the car?
Other than a longer test drive at interstate speeds, what else should I do or look for?

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by tericm; 01-28-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

As long as you pulled over in a reasonable time I think the engine is almost certainly fine. The low oil/low pressure warnings trigger well before damage unless you tear open the oil pan on a rock and lose it all at once. You probably lost 2 quarts max - the engine is not gonna die running a quarter mile 2 quarts low. You might ask if they will give you a year warranty just on the engine for internal failures and see what they say. But it would not personally keep me from buying the car if it was a car I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

To answer the rest of your question, I would test drive it to get the oil hot, then listen to it, both driving and at idle. An engine with serious oil starvation damage will usually do one of two things - the pressure light will come on and/or it will be kinda noisy. Other than that, there is not a whole lot you can do. Some people may ask if you got a pre-purchase inspection done, but that's really a different issue. A PPI might tell you that your upper oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket have leaks (common on that engine), and it probably would have found the wonky filter cap, but not any latent internal damage. Having said that, a PPI may be worth it now that you are back to square one and the engine is freshly cleaned because it will be easy to spot leaking gaskets. The valve cover gasket is not a huge deal, but an oil pan gasket will run near $2,000 if it is an XDrive car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
tericm
Rep

Hi Opie,

Thanks for the advice. I'll add these to my list for when I go back to look at the car.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:36 AM   #5
ganthercage
Banned
Rep
Drives: m2

welcome and congrats on you BMW , post some pics

Last edited by ganthercage; 01-20-2022 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #6
tericm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganthercage View Post
welcome and congrats on you BMW , post some pics

I certainly will once I'm able to acquire the car. Right now they are performing all the work necessary after the oil leak, unfortunately that will take a week or so.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
tericm
Rep

640i purchased

Hello all,

Well I decided to get the car after a longer test drive and inspection. Since the salesman iss a BMW 5 series owner and was familiar with the interstates in the area, I asked him to drive and we rode for about 20 minutes and hit 100+ a few times to really put some stress on the engine. It all looked good afterwards, so I drove it home, which is 4 hours and all seems good. When the weather is nicer I'll get some better pictures and do a proper introduction.

Thanks again, Eric
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 09:10 PM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

What color is that? The first pic looks like carbon black, but the second has so much metal flake it almost looks like tanzanite blue. Or it could be deep sea blue like mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:18 PM   #9
tericm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
What color is that? The first pic looks like carbon black, but the second has so much metal flake it almost looks like tanzanite blue. Or it could be deep sea blue like mine.
It is the Tanzanite Blue metallic. It does look black in certain light and at different angles, I really like it and have gotten some nice comments from coworkers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tericm View Post
It is the Tanzanite Blue metallic. It does look black in certain light and at different angles, I really like it and have gotten some nice comments from coworkers.
I assume you know that was an extra cost Individual paint. Is the interior also Individual?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #11
tericm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I assume you know that was an extra cost Individual paint. Is the interior also Individual?
Yes , I was provided a copy of the original build or windows sticker and saw that. I was surprised that Bluetooth wasn't standard and was an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #12
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tericm View Post
Yes , I was provided a copy of the original build or windows sticker and saw that. I was surprised that Bluetooth wasn't standard and was an option.
What is the interior?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:13 AM   #13
tericm
Rep

Ivory White Dakota, I would have liked something a little darker, but I've looked for a while and decided I would never find the absolute prefect car, so this was close enough. If the perfect car comes along, I'll trade up.

Eric
Appreciate 0