BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #23
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

You may be right, I'll ask another source on extended warranties. I really don't want to get a 3rd party warranty company. All I ever hear is whatever problem you have, their answer is "its not covered" "you didn't do the required maintenance"

I'm 50/50 on buying extended or not. Forums on BMW say whatever you do don't own a 650 without a warranty. While I can afford replacing an engine for $30K at 50-60K miles, I don't relish the thought. At the same time we don't drive it more than 5K a year, so it won't be another 5 or 6 yr before we reach 60K miles. By then we probably will want something else or I'll be in the ground.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #24
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
You may be right, I'll ask another source on extended warranties. I really don't want to get a 3rd party warranty company. All I ever hear is whatever problem you have, their answer is "its not covered" "you didn't do the required maintenance"

I'm 50/50 on buying extended or not. Forums on BMW say whatever you do don't own a 650 without a warranty. While I can afford replacing an engine for $30K at 50-60K miles, I don't relish the thought. At the same time we don't drive it more than 5K a year, so it won't be another 5 or 6 yr before we reach 60K miles. By then we probably will want something else or I'll be in the ground.
I agree that many aftermarket warranty companies are shit. If you are looking to own it for another 5 or 6 years a warranty isn't a bad idea at all. Maybe call around to other bmw dealerships and see what they will offer you. They dont have to be local. Some people have purchased them in Maryland i believe as there is no state tax on the warranty there (i believe it is Maryland). You can buy it from any dealership, so do some research.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #25
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got on BMW website and extended warranties are offered in 3 different levels for up to 7yr or 100K miles from new. My CPO runs out in August of 2018 at the 6yr mark. So looking at BMW program, getting their warranty only gets me another 1yr. of coverage.

I'll start surfing for 3rd party, but I suspect I will find the same thing. They cover the car up to a certain age, like 7yr and nothing available beyond. So spending a lot of $$ for 1 or 2 yr extended warranty when I will only drive 10K miles, might be dumb.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #26
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
Got on BMW website and extended warranties are offered in 3 different levels for up to 7yr or 100K miles from new. My CPO runs out in August of 2018 at the 6yr mark. So looking at BMW program, getting their warranty only gets me another 1yr. of coverage.

I'll start surfing for 3rd party, but I suspect I will find the same thing. They cover the car up to a certain age, like 7yr and nothing available beyond. So spending a lot of $$ for 1 or 2 yr extended warranty when I will only drive 10K miles, might be dumb.
i believe you can extend your CPO by a year for an additional charge. That might be worth it.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #27
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

The CPO hardly covers anything. See the attached to see what is not covered.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw_cpo_warranty.pdf (126.8 KB, 85 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #28
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
WWC, they obviously stress this; however, in any negotiation there is a starting point and somewhere both parties land. I don't mean to teach you to sick eggs.

I've found that in some cases I can get them to budge, in others no. On an old 335xi coupe I had in the States, they were pretty receptive to help and do the right thing - considering I was on my 5th HPFP (in 30k miles) and we would laugh (to avoid crying) each time I came in. The woman's X3 back then became a collector of free swag accessories also! ha Now they are slightly helpful (even in UK) because they keep trying to sell me a 7 Series.

Here in the UK the warranty situation is much more harsh though. But, Brits are used to getting screwed-over here and happily agree to it. Stiff upper lip, god save the queen, cuppa tea?, and all that BS... lol
It's the only reason I can fathom that the N63 CCP is void here.... simply 'because the market will tolerate it' (BMW made a business decision: "They will tolerate it; F 'em."). :/

ymmv
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
the list of things that ARE covered includes the engine and the transmission - two VERY big ticket items.

the advisability of extended warranties are always a function of willingness to accept risk, the depth of your pocket, your ownership horizon, etc., etc. In other words, its an individual decision.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2018, 11:48 AM   #30
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I got more (better) info from my BMW dealer this morning on extended warranties. My CPO runs out Aug of this year on my '13 650X. I've got 29K mi on it.

BMW does not specifically offer an extended warranty but the dealer offers a service contract for my 650 thru Allstate

Allstate clock starts at purchase of program so no reason to do it before the CPO runs out. I was told to come in about 2 weeks before August. If the factory warranty runs out, then Allstate will not offer a program

The dealer would deal with Allstate rather than me trying to deal with a 3rd party program I found on the internet. I rather they fight my battles for me.

To buy additional 20K miles and 2yr its $3335
for 30K and 3yr its $4156.

both are for everything, not just power train and $200 deductible. Covers, computer, heated seats, radio, top mechanism, etc.

I actually thought those $$ were pretty reasonable. After 3yr, my 650 will be 8yr old. Hopefully I'll know by then if the engine will self destruct.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #31
carbonblkf12
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i x drive vert

Im also thinking of an extended warrantee.. 2015 650i x drive convertible -- 9000 miles. Off lease in may. Purchase price $60k through BMW financial - dealers (2) in NJ offering me $58000 - same # (odd I believe - both saying its a passthru)... While Ive asked them more than a few times for a price on warrantee - neither call me back. With the M8 convertible on the horizon in 2019 - Im leaning towards buying the car and seeing what happens in 2019 with M8 - though there is a possibility I may keep the 650 regardless as I have low mileage and right now its perfect...
Appreciate 0