BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

A knock has reared its ugly head.

Well, this started yesterday.

The car is a 2016 GC with 42k on the clock. An oil/filter change (Liqui Moly Molygen 5W40) was performed a few hundred miles ago, and a Spark Plug (NGK 97506 gapped to .20) change a few hundred before that. All was well until yesterday when moving slowly in traffic; nothing aggressive, just coasting along at 15mph.

I tried to capture the sound in this video hoping for some insight from the more well-versed of you on this engine.

You can hear me give some light throttle to see if the noise increases with the RPMs. It doesn't appear to, but I might be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Sorry to hear about the issue. Are you running a tune or using an external boost controller? Mine was stock and had rod bearings done at about the same mileage and ended up seizing about 30k miles later on the new bearings. The car was dealer maintained and not once did they ever say anything about metal in the oil. I learned a lot about this issue after taking my wife out to dinner one night. I would go easy on it until you get a firm diag.

I may be a bit hypersensitive or over reacting because I went through this a few months ago but it sounds like a rod bearing issue. Send a copy of the video to Mike and/or Raza at RKAutowerks, they have a ton of experience with these engines and are not going to mislead you just to get the business because they already have plenty of business.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
Minacious312.00
      11-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
A thread from the M5 folks, https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395678

If you want to chat about my experience or want contact info for the team at RKAutowerks shoot me a PM. Wishing ya much success.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Another data point from a fellow M6 owner, https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743012
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

At least speak to Mike at RK Autowerks. I just went through a rebuild with them and couldn't be happier. It's only been about three weeks but the car runs amazing. They are phenomenal at what they do. In my case the rod bearings were worn out. I had metal in the oil even though I had just changed the oil. If you also wanted to get me personal experience with them feel free to PM me. TinCan Sailor also was the one who gave me some valuable advice. Good Luck!
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Appreciate the replies. Both of your threads I actually read before this happened, so I am familiar with your journeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Are you running a tune or using an external boost controller?
A Stage 1 tune, yes.

Quote:
I would go easy on it until you get a firm diag.
It will remain parked in the garage until a solution is decided on.

Quote:
Send a copy of the video to Mike and/or Raza at RKAutowerks, they have a ton of experience with these engines and are not going to mislead you just to get the business because they already have plenty of business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
At least speak to Mike at RK Autowerks. I just went through a rebuild with them and couldn't be happier. It's only been about three weeks but the car runs amazing. They are phenomenal at what they do. In my case the rod bearings were worn out. I had metal in the oil even though I had just changed the oil. If you also wanted to get me personal experience with them feel free to PM me. TinCan Sailor also was the one who gave me some valuable advice. Good Luck!
I'll definitely send them a link to the video to see what they have to say.

RK is in Texas, correct?

It's looking like the end of 2020 is going to get a little expensive.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Get an oil analysis done also these cars have a lot of cilickity clacking going on , did you ever open your oil cap while the car is running wow ?
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Appreciate the replies. Both of your threads I actually read before this happened, so I am familiar with your journeys.

A Stage 1 tune, yes.

It will remain parked in the garage until a solution is decided on.

I'll definitely send them a link to the video to see what they have to say.

RK is in Texas, correct?

It's looking like the end of 2020 is going to get a little expensive.

Stay tuned.
yeah sorry to hear ya have to go through this, very sorry. My 2020 started out this way and it was a kick in the gut but I couldn't be happier now. They are in Dallas, but they ship motors as well but ya have to leave core deposit. These guys are so thorough and do so many that I felt like I was better served by letting them do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Get an oil analysis done also these cars have a lot of cilickity clacking going on , did you ever open your oil cap while the car is running wow ?
True, a Blackstone Labs analysis is a nice low-cost way to get another data point on what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Something to consider. I actually still have the old oil sitting in a box too.

Quote:
yeah sorry to hear ya have to go through this, very sorry. My 2020 started out this way and it was a kick in the gut but I couldn't be happier now. They are in Dallas, but they ship motors as well but ya have to leave core deposit. These guys are so thorough and do so many that I felt like I was better served by letting them do it.
It is unfortunate, but considering I make the choice to buy cars that require more attention and care than say, a Toyota Camry, I've somewhat come to grips with it. Be it an M, an RS, something exotic, motorcycles, etc, I've dealt with them all and each has come with their own quirks and headaches. Then I start modifying them, as I can't leave well enough alone, and that just introduces more variables. Good times!

If I do end up going with RK, it will end up in their possession, as I prefer the shop doing the work to also do the install.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Something to consider. I actually still have the old oil sitting in a box too.

It is unfortunate, but considering I make the choice to buy cars that require more attention and care than say, a Toyota Camry, I've somewhat come to grips with it. Be it an M, an RS, something exotic, motorcycles, etc, I've dealt with them all and each has come with their own quirks and headaches. Then I start modifying them, as I can't leave well enough alone, and that just introduces more variables. Good times!

If I do end up going with RK, it will end up in their possession, as I prefer the shop doing the work to also do the install.
I am right there with ya on accepting the terms of my car/truck/motorcycle addiction. I am blessed to be able to have the pain threshold to deal with these problems as well as a very, VERY, understanding wife. That said the only thing I have done to my M6 is remove the charcoal filter which is probably the lamest thing a person can admit in public but my engine has a 2yr warranty now and counting the time down and might try something in 18 months
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #12
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
I am right there with ya on accepting the terms of my car/truck/motorcycle addiction. I am blessed to be able to have the pain threshold to deal with these problems as well as a very, VERY, understanding wife. That said the only thing I have done to my M6 is remove the charcoal filter which is probably the lamest thing a person can admit in public but my engine has a 2yr warranty now and counting the time down and might try something in 18 months
Outside of the Stage 1 tune and removal of the charcoal filter as well, there is nothing else done to the car. I do have visual modification (wheels, spoiler, diffusor, carbon fiber bits, etc), though.

I did want a bit more volume from the exhaust, turbos and intake, but was content, for now at least, with the car. That contentment may change now if the car has to end up in the hands of a shop to get sorted out.

That 2 yr warranty with RK?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Outside of the Stage 1 tune and removal of the charcoal filter as well, there is nothing else done to the car. I do have visual modification (wheels, spoiler, diffusor, carbon fiber bits, etc), though.

I did want a bit more volume from the exhaust, turbos and intake, but was content, for now at least, with the car. That contentment may change now if the car has to end up in the hands of a shop to get sorted out.

That 2 yr warranty with RK?
Yeah, on their stock builds they provide a warranty. Not sure if they do warranties on the Stage 3 builds but the stock builds for sure.

I am with you on the exhaust sound, it really needs a throatier sound. I am not looking to make old people faint but if the neighbors kids thought monsters were under the bed when I start it would be ok
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #14
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

I am with you guys regarding an exhaust. It needs to roar more. But looking at some such as FI exhaust or Akropovic?? All are very expensive into 4K and up.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:02 AM   #15
m6coupe
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Was your AC on when you recorded this video?

I've heard this before and it ended up being a bad idler puller and ac compressor.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:59 AM   #16
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6coupe View Post
Was your AC on when you recorded this video?

I've heard this before and it ended up being a bad idler puller and ac compressor.
No, the AC wasn't on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Msport

Almost sound like a bad pulley.. had one make a similar noise in my old 335i. Vorring fingers thats your case too.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #18
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

I could be totally wrong but this really sounds like a bad pulley. Remove both front mounted intercoolers and check all your belts, tensioners and pulleys.
Im hoping for the best for you and the beast, fingers crossed that is that case, please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #19
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Quote:
That contentment may change now if the car has to end up in the hands of a shop to get sorted out.
Well, I did say if the car has to end up in a shop that contentment may change. That contentment has changed.

Bullet points of what's been going on:
  • BMW had the car for a couple of weeks
  • BMW had quite the time even hearing the ticking noise, but finally did after a detailed what-to-do from me
  • BMW found small flakes of metal in the oil filter
  • BMW doesn't like tuned cars
  • BMW will replace the engine on my dime
  • My dime will be better spent sorting this engine out and making it more robust with a reputable shop (RKAutowerks is high on that list)

Now I just need to figure out the logistics and how far I want to go. I work 10-12 hours a day building fictional worlds, and as such, my time is painfully limited, but I will do my best to chronicle my journey once it begins proper.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0